Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

6 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Oui, it's very much avec in that photo. 

---***---

Not aware of the RAF using SUU-23/As with the blunter rear cone, as they never (?) hung one under an inner wing pylon for deployment with three fuel bags the way the Americans did, but it always looked menacing. I believe RAF FG.1s used the pods from late 1974 but the FAA never did - a cat/traps issue? 

Tony

47 minutes ago, tony.t said:

---***---

Not aware of the RAF using SUU-23/As with the blunter rear cone, as they never (?) hung one under an inner wing pylon for deployment with three fuel bags the way the Americans did, but it always looked menacing. I believe RAF FG.1s used the pods from late 1974 but the FAA never did - a cat/traps issue? 

Tony

RAF Phantoms used both styles of pod

52 minutes ago, tony.t said:

---***---

Tony

There's a pic of XV574 without the centre line tank a little further on.

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p412807271/h2CD36C51#hb281c69

There's been a discussion on the fitting of the gun pod earlier in this thread - I think the QRA fit for UK based Phantoms included the centre line tank but for RAFG included the gun pod.

I agree that the FAA didn't fit gunpods but have pics of RAF a/c with the blunt end gun pod fitted.

50 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

There's a pic of XV574 without the centre line tank a little further on.

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p412807271/h2CD36C51#hb281c69

There's been a discussion on the fitting of the gun pod earlier in this thread - I think the QRA fit for UK based Phantoms included the centre line tank but for RAFG included the gun pod.

I agree that the FAA didn't fit gunpods but have pics of RAF a/c with the blunt end gun pod fitted.

A quick confirmation.

Just spoken to one of my workmates who I discovered yesterday used to work in the SUU gun bay in RAF Wattisham many moons ago, and he confirms they had guns with both long and short rear fairings on that base.

Selwyn

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can someone tell me which part number the main canopy is? Chucked my instructions out and need to contact hornby spares 

Frame F part 1.Page 19 of the instructions build item 101 if you mean the complete canopy,

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick query on the two Alcock and Brown FGR.2s.

All the aftremarket decal sheets I've seen (including the classic Modeldecal 55, CAM 72-042, CAM 48-081) for these aircraft have the full underwing serials for XV424, but only the '486' nose wheel door code for XV486.   However the Fujimi decals have the serials for both Phantoms.

Does this mean that only XV424 had underwing serials applied, or just an oversight?

Any photographic support welcome!

On 17 March 2018 at 5:33 PM, 71chally said:

Quick query on the two Alcock and Brown FGR.2s.

All the aftremarket decal sheets I've seen (including the classic Modeldecal 55, CAM 72-042, CAM 48-081) for these aircraft have the full underwing serials for XV424, but only the '486' nose wheel door code for XV486.   However the Fujimi decals have the serials for both Phantoms.

Does this mean that only XV424 had underwing serials applied, or just an oversight?

Any photographic support welcome!

James

both aircraft had underwing serials applied.  On the MD55 decal sheet itself, there was "not enough room to put both serials" so Dick Ward put the primary aircraft, XV424, on and stated, "To complete a model of XV486 you will also need the numerals "8" and "6" from Modeldecal set 35 (or your spares box)".

As well as being very good at producing excellent decals, the late Lamented Dick Ward was also a bloody good businessman !!.

Dennis 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks 71cally anyway

34 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Yes, 

f270095404d06f686dc3636166cd879e.jpg

From Pinterest

There's another astern shot taken from this sortie, clearly showing four Sparrows and four Sidewinders

Thanks anyway I should have been specific, I’m modelling her in the grey 111 markings much later, only seen pics with the gun and recon pods mounted 

It wouldn't have carried the reccon pod being an FG.1. 

In the special scheme as 'Z' it seemed to mainly carry the gun pod, baggage pod, and a sidewinder acquisition round on the stb'd side and the ballast Sparrows in the fwd bays.  Was also pictured with the three drop tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I received an email this morning advertising some corrected intakes for this kit from Aerocraft Models, sold by Meridia Hobbies. It looks like they've added the missing vents and they include parts to fix the vents over the afterburners as well. Here is the link to the product: LINK

I know nothing about Aerocraft or Meridia. I've never ordered from them. I just somehow ended up on their mailing list. 

Mods, feel free to delete this if I've broken any forum rules. I'm just trying to help those with this kit to fix a couple of issues with it.

Cheers!

Ben

13 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi All,

I received an email this morning advertising some corrected intakes for this kit from Aerocraft Models, sold by Meridia Hobbies. It looks like they've added the missing vents and they include parts to fix the vents over the afterburners as well. Here is the link to the product: LINK

I know nothing about Aerocraft or Meridia. I've never ordered from them. I just somehow ended up on their mailing list. 

Mods, feel free to delete this if I've broken any forum rules. I'm just trying to help those with this kit to fix a couple of issues with it.

Cheers!

Ben

Aerocraft Models are Alistair McLean - formerly Mr Allycat of renown.  

I have never heard of Meridia either