Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

15 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I wasn't talking about letters being painted on the under surfaces at the first place. I tried to say that these treated areas look like a letter (E or F). I'm okay with that when someone criticises my opinions for a good reason. 

Kind Regards,

Antti

Hi Antti, appreciate what you said and understood it as you meant above, however I believe that the photo Dennis posted has been used previously as "evidence" that something ending F had been written on the underside of the wing.

As Dennis has kindly confirmed, this was not the case.

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

that's nice to hear (I was afraid that my English went terribly wrong and everyone understood everything completely wrong). I could tell you a story about Libya and words written wrong; very very horribly wrong. Luckily we escaped unharmed...

It seems that some "Photo Interpreters" have more vivid imagination than others...

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 2

On 1/27/2018 at 12:58 AM, Phone Phixer said:

An armourer has entered the room!

In 1/72 modelling terms, there is no difference.

The British version was known as a CBTE, Carrier Bomb Triple Ejector. The angle between the 3 bomb racks (ERU's) was more on the CBTE to cater for the increased diameter of British 1,000lb bombs. There were a few small differences for the different fuzing systems aswell.

The CBTE was bolted to a multiple weapons adapter, as shown in the diagrams in Johns post #443. The MWA was then bolted to the pylon. In the case of the inboard pylons, it was the same location for the Lau 7a Sidewinder launchers. Hence, with the use of longer attachment bolts, you could have the combo of MWA/CBTE and Lau 7a's.

The FAA seemed to use this fit, the RAF not so much, if at all.

As a result of all this bolting of stuff together, normal weapon release was from the bomb racks in the CBTE. In the brown underpants moments when everything needed jettisoning rapidly, the pylons et all were dropped off courtesy of an explosive bolt that held the pylon to the wing.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

The armourer has left the room (uh- huh, thank you very much) (why is there no Elvis emoticon)

Typical Plumber turns up late and disappears early :) Thanks for the clarification.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Someone mentioned photo interpreting....

I've been doing a lot and it's left me with some questions....

I've been looking at lots of photos of 892NAS FG.1s and some other RAF FG.1s and FGR.2s. See my other thread on trying to I.D. 013/R in 1975/76.

What I've noticed is that the placement, style and size of the nose numbers varied a lot. Also, there appears to be some evidence that underwing serials were sometimes painted in a thinner stroke than otherwise usual (like the old matchbox '76 issue kit decal sheet).

Also I think the FG.1 nose gear seems to lean back slightly whereas the FGR2 seems more vertical. Or is it just me?

Were nosewheels always white or were some natural metal?

The extended leading edge slats don't have a red painted inner section like other aircraft but I can't make out if they are EDSG or dark dull metal.

As the Airfix kit shows 007/R XT864 in '78 should it not also have the red/white/blue pennant markings on the nose? Mind you the matchbox 86/87 retool/reissue didn't either and they were generally good on references.

I know XT864 was 007/R in 77/78 but was it still 007 when it flew into St Athan with "FLY NAVY" instead of "ROYAL NAVY"?

Thanks for reading....

Edited by roym
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roym said:

Also I think the FG.1 nose gear seems to lean back slightly whereas the FGR2 seems more vertical. Or is it just me?

The extended leading edge slats don't have a red painted inner section like other aircraft but I can't make out if they are EDSG or dark dull metal.

As the Airfix kit shows 007/R XT864 in '78 should it not also have the red/white/blue pennant markings on the nose? Mind you the matchbox 86/87 retool/reissue didn't either and they were generally good on references.

I know XT684 was 007/R in 77/78 but was it still 007 when it flew into St Athan with "FLY NAVY" instead of "ROYAL NAVY"?

The fuselage code numbers did vary in style for sure.

The FG.1 nose leg is raked back by 3 degrees, haven't got references to hand but I think the FGR.2 leg was straight, but I'm sure someone else here can confirm.

I've only ever seen white nose wheels, but there always seems to be an exception!

The exposed inner part of the leading edge flaps when they were deployed were a silver/natural metal colour (possibly coroguard?), but the vertical edges were generally red.

XT684 was 'R-007' with 'Fly Navy' when it arrived at St Athan in Nov '78, it had the red white blue nose flash with the unit crest.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The fuselage code numbers did vary in style for sure.

The FG.1 nose leg is raked back by 3 degrees, haven't got references to hand but I think the FGR.2 leg was straight, but I'm sure someone else here can confirm.

I've only ever seen white nose wheels, but there always seems to be an exception!

The exposed inner part of the leading edge flaps when they were deployed were a silver/natural metal colour (possibly coroguard?), but the vertical edges were generally red.

XT684 was 'R-007' with 'Fly Navy' when it arrived at St Athan in Nov '78, it had the red white blue nose flash with the unit crest.

71chally is correct again  

The fuselage numbers did indeed vary in style but all were, on average, the same size.  Why the style difference I never found out.

The leg did rake back on the FG.1, this was so that when the added extension was put on for cat launch, the nose wheels were still in trail. I posted this some time back - time for a repeat :-

CtXOUgY.jpg

The exposed inner part of the leading edges and the  rear flaps when in launch/landing mode was made from titanium as a counter point to the heat from the BLC.

Nose and Main wheels were always White.  The Airfix kit shows XT864 as she was in 1975 not '78.  I am currently corresponding with Simon Owen of Airfix so I'll ask if updated decals can be provided at a later date.  As I said earlier, he and his team were in all probability not around when the Phantom was with the Navy. 

Yes '007' had "Fly Navy" on the stbd rear fuselage on arrival at St Athan but I have yet to find a photo showing it on the port side.

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm sure I've got serial dyslexia, mind you blame the last line of the previous post! :rage:

Should be XT864

• Haha 2

There's 31 pages of Phantomry in here : https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/538685-phantom-friday.html

Slightly off topic as it's not all British and includes some very nice photos. Here's a taster... a German one at a  Leuchars airshow

Phantom-II-fighter-jets-1553207-1920x120

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2018 at 5:51 PM, roym said:

Someone mentioned photo interpreting....

I've been doing a lot and it's left me with some questions....

I've been looking at lots of photos of 892NAS FG.1s and some other RAF FG.1s and FGR.2s. See my other thread on trying to I.D. 013/R in 1975/76.

What I've noticed is that the placement, style and size of the nose numbers varied a lot. Also, there appears to be some evidence that underwing serials were sometimes painted in a thinner stroke than otherwise usual (like the old matchbox '76 issue kit decal sheet).

I know XT864 was 007/R in 77/78 but was it still 007 when it flew into St Athan with "FLY NAVY" instead of "ROYAL NAVY"?

Thanks for reading....

A bit of a note on colours

pq5m5O.jpg

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Fascinating paint guide, thank you John.  I take it that the general airframe finishing scheme is for RAF jets?

It is James, the document is

AP 101B-0900-1B
Pantom FG Mk.1
and
FGR Mk.2 Aircraft
Aircraft Servicing Manual
Corrosion Control and Decontamination

John

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 10:36 PM, Scimitar said:

There's 31 pages of Phantomry in here : https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/538685-phantom-friday.html

Slightly off topic as it's not all British and includes some very nice photos. Here's a taster... a German one at a  Leuchars airshow

Phantom-II-fighter-jets-1553207-1920x120

Was that taken at Leuchars? Spooky (pardon the pun) but that was the image I used on my first Business card.

Duncan B

• Like 1

This might have been mentioned already, have Airfix provided an option to have the speed brakes open? 

The speed brakes would start to drop under their own weight the moment hydraulic power was removed so it was a very rare sight to see a Phantom with closed speed brakes while on the ground powered down. 

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

This might have been mentioned already, have Airfix provided an option to have the speed brakes open? 

The speed brakes would start to drop under their own weight the moment hydraulic power was removed so it was a very rare sight to see a Phantom with closed speed brakes while on the ground powered down. 

Duncan B

Yes it does, see my current project.

IMG_2998_zps21cf45yl.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

On XV424 at Hendon it has the chaff/flare dispensers fitted on the sidewinder pylons. Can anyone tell me if this fit was standard as I do not remember seeing them before.

DSC_6850

Thanks

Robert