Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

In complete contrast to the quality of the above photographer's work,here is one I rescued from a box of my slides:

72c98fb7-d728-4e68-b23b-b61b9e4e42ab.jpg

Now that is an interesting shot - taken some time after I had left.  I was always under the impression that by 1982, 43Sqdn had rationalised the fuselage markings as 2-4 i.e. checks of 4.5 inches per check (9 inches deep) as opposed to the 3-6 i.e checks of 4 inches (8inches deep) as shown.  It was determined by 43 that the 9 inch deep bar either side of the new roundel fitted in with the formulae for RAF fighter Sqdn markings.

Were they all like that Scimitar ?

Dennis 

Forget the above Scimitar - I have just dragged my original note book out from the depths and it was the 3-6 that was adopted

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
Memory corrected by original notes !!

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Here are are some photos of component production at Samlesbury.

palS5Y.jpg

palldp.jpg

palj76.jpg

John 

The Osprey Air Combat - McDonnell Douglas F-4K/M book by Micheal Burns states the back ends were built at BAC Strand Road in Preston.

• Like 2

Aeroguide 13 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom II FG Mk. 1/ FGR Mk. 2 also states the back ends being built at the Preston factory. It also states the outer wings were built by Shorts in Belfast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, falcon said:

Aeroguide 13 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom II FG Mk. 1/ FGR Mk. 2 also states the back ends being built at the Preston factory. It also states the outer wings were built by Shorts in Belfast.

And for those of us less fortunate to not have a copy of said publication, here's a link to that great website at the Boxart Den - http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aeroguide/AeroGuide-13-McDonnell

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, falcon said:

The Osprey Air Combat - McDonnell Douglas F-4K/M book by Micheal Burns states the back ends were built at BAC Strand Road in Preston.

Chris they would have produced components at all the sites in 'Preston',  Strand Road, Warton, for final assembly at Samlesbury. I would guess that sites further afield such as Bradford and Rugby would have had a small hand in component production too?

John  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

She got a brief mention earlier and I found this one on the 'net

AF-McDonnell-Douglas-Phantom-II-nickname

Another photo showing the lack of red M on the fin. I'm wondering when the M actually got applied?

Duncan B

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Another photo showing the lack of red M on the fin. I'm wondering when the M actually got applied?

Duncan B

I took pictures of it at St Mawgan air show Aug 90 and it is without the M, however my shots are all port side.

This shot was apparently taken on its way home from the Mawgan show and it shows it with an M applied to the stb'd side

277008_800.jpg

AirTeam Images

Just in case it was missed earlier,

111 officially disbanded at the end of Jan 1990, who took on charge of Black Mike after that? 

Given that it appeared into the late 1990 air show season and stopped flying in 1992.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

There is a Stuart Freere photo online, the caption of which reads :-

"F-4K XV582\M Phantom FG1 111(F) Squadron, RAF Leuchars. Which I shot on the visitors ramp at RAF Upper Heyford in the evening sunshine after a heavy thunderstorm, 7th June 1990".

It has the red 'M' on the stud side of the fin,

I'll try and upload it later (Imgur probs)

Dennis

Edir :-

bomKpOP.jpg

Edited by sloegin57
Photo added
  • Like 4

How odd, 'M' on the stbd side but not on the post side?

"Just in case it was missed earlier,

111 officially disbanded at the end of Jan 1990, who took on charge of Black Mike after that? 

Given that it appeared into the late 1990 air show season and stopped flying in 1992."

I'm not sure about the history of Black Mike as it was after my time but the British Phantom Aviation Group, who currently own the aircraft, would know. They have a Facebook page and are always happy to discuss the aircraft.

Duncan B

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

How odd, 'M' on the stbd side but not on the post side?

"Just in case it was missed earlier,

Given that it appeared into the late 1990 air show season and stopped flying in 1992."

I'm not sure about the history of Black Mike as it was after my time but the British Phantom Aviation Group, who currently own the aircraft, would know. They have a Facebook page and are always happy to discuss the aircraft.

Duncan B

But according to the date on this photo, it had a code on the port side in 1989 :-

BtZaJgu.jpg

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

But according to the date on this photo, it had a code on the port side in 1989 :-

BtZaJgu.jpg

Dennis

My decaling is a bit dodgy too but they don't tend to fall off!! How very curious. I've just noticed the full missile load out too, never noticed that before.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John, this is like Christmases and birthdays rolled into one, I never seen any tech info on the flash pod before.

Whatever next, the nuclear weapons carriage!

All the AP extracts are much appreciated:yes:

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Back to the kit for a while!

The RWR fairing looks fine to me too. However a thought occurs. Apparently the fin panel lines on the FG.1 and FGR.2 differ so (and this will not bother me one iota) can the RWR equipped fin from the kit really be applied to the RWR equipped FG.1 as it's an FGR.2 fin? That one is for the purists who get a micrometer out for everything!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

I took pictures of it at St Mawgan air show Aug 90 and it is without the M, however my shots are all port side.

This shot was apparently taken on its way home from the Mawgan show and it shows it with an M applied to the stb'd side

277008_800.jpg

AirTeam Images

Just in case it was missed earlier,

Given that it appeared into the late 1990 air show season and stopped flying in 1992.

The OCU

it had the red M for it’s final flight

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

can the RWR equipped fin from the kit really be applied to the RWR equipped FG.1 as it's an FGR.2 fin? That one is for the purists who get a micrometer out for everything!

As the tail shape is identical..yes.

If the fact that there is a difference in panel lines on the leading edge bothers you..no.

As you say,one for the micrometer brigade (of which thankfully there are none here)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

The OCU

it had the red M for it’s final flight

That doesn't make sense Dave, Dennis has shown us a picture of it with the red M in Sep 89, my pic shows it without on port side on 8 Aug 90, and the Air Team images shows it on stb'd side leaving same event on the 10 Aug. 

Thanks for confiming the operator, I did wonder if it was the OCU as they had moved to Leuchars by then.   I guess the last flight was in 1991 rather than 1992?

Edited by 71chally

Probably not that handy from a modelling perspective, but this is a chart I created showing the overall deployment of the Phantom with the Royal Navy & RAF. 

Interesting is the change of use in the mid 1970s from mainly tactical to mainly air defence as the Jag came on stream, and just what short service the EMI pod gave.

28045337419_97b2ea2454_b.jpgPhantom Squadrons Chart by James Thomas, on Flickr

The A&AEE row is particularly remarkable given that XT597 served from the beginning to the end of that time line, and eclipsed all the service Phantoms.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Probably not that handy from a modelling perspective, but this is a chart I created showing the overall deployment of the Phantom with the Royal Navy & RAF. 

Interesting is the change of use in the mid 1970s from mainly tactical to mainly air defence as the Jag came on stream, and just what short service the EMI pod gave.

28045337419_97b2ea2454_b.jpgPhantom Squadrons Chart by James Thomas, on Flickr

The A&AEE row is particularly remarkable given that XT597 served from the beginning to the end of that time line, and eclipsed all the service Phantoms.

Too much time on your hands mate....d'ya wanna do Merlin depth /MLSP (mk4 to you) work flow too lol

• Haha 4