Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

17 minutes ago, eng said:

Next question for the real Phanatics, is there a definitive list of which aircraft had the belly reinforcing plates that are catered for in the kit with the 2 different lower wing sections? 

I was talking to an ex Phantom guy here the other day just about that, he doesn't remember FG.1s having the belly plate, and that it was primarily to extend the FGR.2s service life.  The mod was carried out at Brough.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I was talking to an ex Phantom guy here the other day just about that, he doesn't remember FG.1s having the belly plate, and that it was primarily to extend the FGR.2s service life.  The mod was carried out at Brough.

Thanks for the quick reply on that one 71chally, my mind was leading me that way but not sure if they had maybe been an addition in later service for the FG.1's. There had been mention elsewhere that it was tied to use of the SUU gun pods, can't now find that discussion.

Thanks for your help, now off to glue said parts in place 😉

Eng

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

OK peeps - give me half an hour to get some stuff uploaded to Imgur and I'll put up a few shots of mine of XT863 which for some reason seems to be "flavour of the day".  I'll add a few more FG.1's of interest after (after when I am not sure !)

Dennis 

Hooray, the Cavalry have arrived :) Now we'll get some definitive information (and some great photos).

Duncan b

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, eng said:

There had been mention elsewhere that it was tied to use of the SUU gun pods, can't now find that discussion.

I've never heard that, only that it was a life extension move - hopefully Duncan or Dennis can confirm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Hooray, the Cavalry have arrived :) Now we'll get some definitive information (and some great photos).

Duncan b

Where’s the young fella been of late? Seriously, it’s just great to read all this first hand information and view some excellent accompanying photographs. I would not be surprised if XT863 starts to become a Phantom favourite. 

Cheers and big thanks.. Dave 

• Like 3

On 05/01/2018 at 7:08 AM, GordonM said:

For those with SWMBO’s complaining about purchasing models, simply point out you are keeping British jobs and a piece of history in business!

Or, simply remind them  its(1) your hobby, (2) your money and,(3) that you hope they remember their comment the next time they come home with yet another handbag, pair of shoes or any other female accoutrements that they seem to deem essential!!.😉😂.

Allan 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Or, simply remind them  its(1) your hobby, (2) your money and,(3) that you hope they remember their comment the next time they come home with yet another handbag, pair of shoes or any other female accoutrements that they seem to deem essential!!.😉😂.

Allan 

So, hospital bed booked or is the Court date set Allan? :wicked:

Paul

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan 

Or bannished to the spare room for the next 10 yrs with no time off for good behaviour ! !

MM

Just viewing all this on my iPhone John ( @canberra kid ), but looks to be ‘yet another’ quality post packed with normally unobtainable information.

If there was ever an award on BM to be given to those that continually serve the modelling gentry, you’d certainly make the shortlist of selfless contributors. 

Cheers and big thanks.. Dave 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just viewing all this on my iPhone John ( @canberra kid ), but looks to be ‘yet another’ quality post packed with normally unobtainable information.

If there was ever an award on BM to be given to those that continually serve the modelling gentry, you’d certainly make the shortlist of selfless contributors. 

Cheers and big thanks.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, very kind of you to say, glad to help!

John

• Like 2

On 15/01/2018 at 10:01 PM, XV571 said:

Hi Jon,

Are you the artist of the forthcoming Xtradecal sheets? In addition to the points noted above, the 43 Squadron Gamecocks on both X72293 and X72294 aren't correct for the 1970s time period. In fact they're also not right for the later '80s version!  It's the same mistake as on sheet X72282 which I didn't see until I bought the sheet last year. You can see the correct shape and colours of the original version on page 119 in Volume 1 of the Double Ugly British Phantom book. If you need any more information I would be only too happy to help. I've been waiting for a modern rendering of 43 Squadron's early FG.1 markings since I built one using Modeldecal set 23 over 30 years ago, so I'm hoping this can be caught before the sheets go to the printers! Also, on sheet X72295 (X72285), FGR2 XT891/Z is listed as 43 Sqn RAF Wattisham 1978 when it's actually 56 Sqn!

Here's one of my photos taken at IAT '83 of XV571 showing the later Gamecock introduced with the Air Defence scheme. In the 1980s the grey/green aircraft used the same version in a white disc before they were repainted:

resized_af950c16-4303-4d4f-8e8b-daf169f7

For XT863 at IAT '83; on Modeldecal set 72, the late Dick Ward noted on the instructions that it was in the standard Barley/MSG/LAG scheme. He also credited our own Dennis W Robinson and 111Sqn on the sheet, so I would take that as fairly definitive information.

HTH,

Jonathan

PS: Can we please have the stencils in 1/48 - especially the black version! Thanks in advance.

These Cockerills have now been corrected on the sheets which have 43 Sqn birds on from decal sheet Pt2 onwards thanks to  XV571.

Nice talking to you last night 👌😊

Jon

Edited by Jon Freeman
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

I think the willingness to share information, and act upon, in this discussion is fantastic. I have learnt things about the Phantom I never knew.

Just one question - Has anybody actually made one yet?

What's this? Actually make a model Phantom? Well it never crossed my mind.

I've had the same 2 Fujimi 1/72 scale kits in build since 2016 (yes, 2016!). At various times they have been painted, stripped (I didn't like the Mr Color DSG and couldn't find a replacement that I liked working with) and are currently in the process of being repainted (using Hataka paints) but my enthusiasm for them is low due to the time it has taken so far. I would like to think I will finish them soon so I can at least try one of the Airfix ones.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Jon Freeman said:

These Cockerills have now been corrected on the sheets which have 43 Sqn birds on from decal sheet Pt2 onwards thanks to  XV571.

Nice talking to you last night 👌😊

Jon

Another shot of same - taken in the wash hangar. Glad to see you are "lurking" Jon and taking notes and pix for future reference.  Once power stays on there will be quite a bit more.

I need to talk yo you about your Victor sheets by the way.  Don't forget that I still owe you a favour from the Harrier sheet !!

Pi9fB7V.jpg

HTH

Dennis

• Like 5

There's a review in Airfix Model World (no. 84) for November 2017. The implication is that there  are a lot of tight fits which need careful sanding. Having got my hands on it my first thoughts are: inner wing pylons lack detail and are only usable if loaded (check the spares box for the discarded Esci ones); the number of options make for complicated construction (just to frustrate the fat fingered like me) and that there's an awful lot of unused plastic (like the Kinetic Harrier T2/4) - can it be sent for recycling. The detail otherwise looks good and the decal sheet is an absolute cracker.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

Or bannished to the spare room for the next 10 yrs with no time off for good behaviour ! !

MM

21 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

So, hospital bed booked or is the Court date set Allan? :wicked:

Paul

19 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

MM

:lol:Personal experience. Some long time ago I was involved with a young lady who took exception to my "silly childish hobby" and did everything she could to interfere and get in the way of it. She did not appreciate my stubborn refusal to comply nor did she appreciate being asked what she would give up in return.We had a good relationship otherwise.  I won't bore you with details but things came to a head one day when I offered her a choice "Live with it or leave". She left!! I have no regrets. The reaction of My current partner, upon seeing a large carton containing shiny red boxes was "Ooooh!! Can I have one of those"! 

Allan

ps - have to confess to binning most of the stencils on the decal sheets. I have neither the time nor inclination to fuss about with them!!

pps I have an idea of combining the long nose of the F-4E with the rest of the Spey Phantom. I think the long nosed versions actually made even this ugly brute of an aeroplane look good !:D. Cue shouts of ; "Burn the heretic on the pyres of Smithfield"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I have an idea of combining the long nose of the F-4E with the rest of the Spey Phantom. I think the long nosed versions actually made even this ugly brute of an aeroplane look good !:D. Cue shouts of ; "Burn the heretic on the pyres of Smithfield"

Ugly!!! Next to Gemma Coleman/XH558/the ski run to Corvara from Selva/the sound of a Merlin engine/Deep Purple's riff on "Birds of Prey", the Phantom is the most beautiful thing on the planet.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

ps - have to confess to binning most of the stencils on the decal sheets. I have neither the time nor inclination to fuss about with them!!

In real life after a touch up or scuff and cover, most were not applied and when they were - nobody reads them (applies to all RAF aircraft)

Dennis

(who's bin there and not bothered)

4 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Ugly!!! Next to Gemma Coleman/XH558/the ski run to Corvara from Selva/the sound of a Merlin engine/Deep Purple's riff on "Birds of Prey", the Phantom is the most beautiful thing on the planet.

Needs to go to Specsavers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

:lol::lol:In the eye of the beholder!! Lets face it, the ugliness of the brute is what makes it so attractive. When I see an F-16 I think "Pretty little toy". When I see a Phantom I think " Now, THAT's a fighter, not a racing car with wings"! I got up close and personal with Luftwaffe and British F-4s when I was on NATO exercises in Germany in 1986. Believe me, those things look really mean and nasty when you are the intended target!!:D

Allan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

................lady who took exception to my "silly childish hobby" .....................

The reaction of My current partner, upon seeing a large carton containing shiny red boxes was "Ooooh!! Can I have one of those"! 

pps I have an idea of combining the long nose of the F-4E with the rest of the Spey Phantom. I think the long nosed versions actually made even this ugly brute of an aeroplane look good !:D. Cue shouts of ; "Burn the heretic on the pyres of Smithfield"

WHY? do some woman react like that?

Though your second line could be classified as 'careful what you wish for!' :whistle:

Pyre at Smithfield? Na, that was reserved for the female, you'd be 'hung, drawn and quartered' my lad! :wicked:

Paul

• Haha 1