Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

9 hours ago, iainpeden said:

So we have a bit of a timelie for XT863. Apparently delivered in grey to 111 in April '80 - presumably having had the ILS fitted (was the RWR already in place with the RN?), looks really scruffy (and with the black radome) in May '83 and freshly painted for IAT in July '83.

For me the next qustions are where did the repaint happen and why XT863 when XV571/A seemed to become the CO's a/c?

The repaint took place in the Ark Royal hangar at RAF Leuchars, Dennis Robinson (Sloegin of this Parish) was in charge of it and has previously posted some photos on here IIRC (or he might have just sent them to me?).

I must admit that my memory had XT863 being in DK Green/DSG before the repaint but I do remember her sitting in primer with the roundels and markings already painted and masked off waiting for permission from Strike Command to paint her black, that permission never came so air defence scheme it was.

Duncan B

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

...waiting for permission from Strike Command to paint her black, that permission never came so air defence scheme it was.

Duncan B

What was it with you guys and black airplanes? :D Anyone would think they looked cool or something!

• Haha 4

Following Rabbit Leader's list of Xtradecals, here's a list of the currently available Modeldecal sheets from big H.

767 Sqn RN

EDSG/White

FGR.2 XV470/H or W 2 Sqn Laarbruch 1971-73

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV470/C 56 Sqn Coningsby 1976

Grey/Green

FG.1 43 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 19 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 23 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 56 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 92 Sqn

Grey/Green

FG.1 XV589/P 111 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV439/A 19 Sqn Wildenrath Silver Jubilee review 1977

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV434/J 23 Sqn

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV419/G 29 Sqn Conningsby 1981

Three Greys

FGR.2 XT909/K 64 Sqn (228 OCU) Conningsby 1981

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV422/O 92 Sqn Wildenrath 1981

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV501/B 23 Sqn Greenham Common 1983

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV464/B 23 Sqn Falklands 1983

Three Greys

FGR.2 XV406/D 29 Sqn Conningsby

Three Greys

FGR.2 XT901/Y 56 Sqn Wattisham

Three Greys

FG.1 XV571/A 43 Sqn in 70th Anniversary schemes 1986

Three Greys

FGR.2 XT900/CO or XV393/CA 228 Sqn/64 OCU 1987

Three Greys

FG.1 XV574/Z 111 Sqn 1985/87 with black spine and fin, two versions

Three Greys

FGR.2 Phantom XV492/Q 9 Sqn Conningsby 1974

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV432/N 6 Sqn Conningsby 1969

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV432/H 14 Sqn RAF Bruggen 1974

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV462/462 17 Sqn RAF Bruggen 1974

Grey/Green

FGR.2 XV422 and XV431 31 Sqn RAF Bruggen 1974

Grey/Green

FGR.2 Phantom XV428/CC 228 OCU Leuchars 1988 Display scheme

Three Greys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil ans All 

Just found a Matchbox Phantom in my stash and I have measured the EMI pod and it is

110 mm long

15 mm in both height and wide

So it looks as if Airfix has the right sized pod

11 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I must admit that my memory had XT863 being in DK Green/DSG

That's two of us with memory  issues then!

James' post makes that nigh impossible though and it must have been that black nose hat made me think so.

Great info appearing here :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

That's two of us with memory  issues then!

James' post makes that nigh impossible though and it must have been that black nose hat made me think so.

Great info appearing here :thumbsup:

I've obviously run 2 separate painting events into one in my mind as I do remember a Dk Green/DSG aircraft getting rubbed back for repainting and revealing the red fin of 892 Sqn underneath which I have later convinced myself was XT863 (but clearly wasn't, and I'm not even sure if G was ex-FAA as I've never checked). The reason I thought it was though was it wasn't common for aircraft to be repainted at our level as I remember it, they were mostly done at St Athans during majors.

Duncan B

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

(but clearly wasn't, and I'm not even sure if G was ex-FAA as I've never checked)

That's what I was saying in an earlier post, XT863 was flown off Ark Royal as 'R 014' and delivered to Saints on 27 Nov 1978.  It then went under a period of service and repaint (RAF-isation!) and as Iainpeden said it departing as an RAF jet in April '80.  During it's time at Saints the air defence grey scheme had been introduced.

It was pictured in May '83 in grey (and looking quite tatty/worn). 

Could it be that you remember it getting a second repaint, possibly early summer '83, Duncan?  I only ask because it  looked positively sparkling for that years air show appearances.

XT893s many colours, https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XT863

Edited by 71chally

There’s a bit of a modelling project there, including as a bdr airframe. If you go back to the scruffy in flight photo it looks to me as if the barley grey has worn unevenly and almost looks like a two tone finish possibly leading to the memories of a grey/green finish.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Could it be that you remember it getting a second repaint, possibly early summer '83, Duncan?  I only ask because it  looked positively sparkling for that years air show appearances.

XT893s many colours, https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XT863

XT863 "G" of 111 sqn was definitely stripped back, primed and repainted in the Ark Royal hangar in Spring '83 as I said earlier. Somewhere I have a copy of a photo that Dennis Robinson took of her during the repaint (I believe it was the last job he oversaw from Engineering before leaving the RAF) and I do remember seeing her primed with the markings masked off as I used to 'slope off' from ASF to go and check on progress (I was a modelling geek even back then!).

The other aircraft that I remember being painted at Leuchars was in DSG/DG and was repainted in ASF. I have no idea which one it was but it was ex 892 due to the fin marking still being in place under the RAF camo (which I thought was very exciting but also strange at the time that it hadn't been stripped back to bare metal before the RAF repaint. I guess that St A's didn't actually strip them right back before over-painting them?).

I hope that clears my previous post up?

Duncan B

• Like 2

Yeah I absolutely get what you are saying, what I'm asking is did you possibly see it getting it's second set of grey, the grey that we see in the summer '83 air show shots?  Given that it was already in a tatty grey finish in May '83.

I'm a historian here at St Athan, and there a few Phantom pics in the archive.  Saints generally stripped the jets to bare metal, and then repainted, but I wouldn't know if every aircraft was done that way.  You would think that a carrier based aircraft would be stripped right back, just for skin corrosion checks.

Great to here this stuff from first hand sources.

• Like 3

Talking of Saints and Phantom special schemes, this is my favourite after Black Mike.

At this stage there was only one very tiny difference that gave away which jet was which.

2185341702_ee8dacf42a_b.jpgAlcock and Brown by Paul, on Flickr

Paul - Flickr

Later XV486 had '486' added to nose gear door to differentiate it from XV424.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Yeah I absolutely get what you are saying, what I'm asking is did you possibly see it getting it's second set of grey, the grey that we see in the summer '83 air show shots?  Given that it was already in a tatty grey finish in May '83.

I'm a historian here at St Athan, and there a few Phantom pics in the archive.  Saints generally stripped the jets to bare metal, and then repainted, but I wouldn't know if every aircraft was done that way.  You would think that a carrier based aircraft would be stripped right back, just for skin corrosion checks.

Great to here this stuff from first hand sources.

Yes, 'G' was getting it's second coat of grey for RIAT. It got a total repaint for the show and wore that scheme until it's demise I would think.

I was surprised to see the red fin appear as the painters sanded back the DG/DSG on that other aircraft. The complete 892 Omega was present and I got a real thrill from seeing it again. I wonder what the story was there, did the painters at St. A's leave it on purpose or was it possibly painted elsewhere? I guess we'll never know the answer to that one.

I have just checked back through the e mails I have from Dennis but can't find the photo of 'G' getting it's repaint (did find the photos of 111's 'J' with the ILS aerials but no RWR fin-cap, including photos of it on Q like that!). I wonder if the photo of 'G' was posted on a thread on here somewhere, will have to have a dig.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Yesterday I was reading a list on an internet site which gave an easy readable (spreadsheet) history of every British Phantom.

Now I can't find it.

I was wondering how many Airfix phantoms I would need if I was to build only XT863 in all her guises let alone the others,but I'm not that committed.

Richard  (did I say I needed 21 Scimitars at last count?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That blob on the fin (above the rudder) is the Welsh flag, it appeared on the port side only of both Phantoms.  The fins are identical.

Duncan knows, don't give it away though!

Edited by 71chally