TeeELL

Well, here as promised is the state of progress:

DSCF5308.jpg

DSCF5309.jpg

I will start some painting today - something challenging, yep - the tyres!  I plan to finish the rear of the road wheel in OD, I figure the painters wouldn't have bothered painting there, it will also give me a clue which way round to fit them!!  I guess the belly of the tank might well have been OD as well, or would it have been put on a ramp or over a pit to have the belly sprayed?

• Like 9

I’ve spent hours smoothing down the rough finish on the turret.  You would think that they would do a better job with the mold wouldn’t you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

I’ve spent hours smoothing down the rough finish on the turret.  You would think that they would do a better job with the mold wouldn’t you?

???? It's supposed to be rough! The turrets were cast and not machined and were left with the uneven finish.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, TeeELL said:

Badder, RWY had Crusaders, Grants and Shermans initially and in Syria they re-equipped with Sherman Mk IIIs.

I knew they had Crusaders. I have a David Sheppard print of Crusaders at dawn at the Battle for El Alamein.

Good luck with the PE. It's all those bits for the tools that do my head in!

Reaguards,

Badder

For anyone building the Dragon Sherman MkIII with sand skirts:  today I learnt the hard way that it is advisable to reinforce bends with a bit of solder.  My failure to do so means that I must now solder together 2 parts, where previously there was one!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Today I finally had all the things I needed to do the soldering.  In the finest traditions of 'my' modelling this hurdle has caused me to stop any other forward movement, I could have had the wheels primed and painted!

Anyway, I needed a soldering iron with a bit of oomph, the 30watt couldn't deliver enough heat (and such a small bit of brass as well!).  Today the 40 watt iron was collected and that has a broad tip which I used to tin both pieces of brass with a very fine layer of normal solder:

DSCF5313.jpg

In the photo above, I have positioned the 2 pieces together ready for stage 2.

With the tinned parts smoothed with a bit of wet and dry I moved on the stage 2.  I set the variable heat soldering iron to its minimum temp, cut off a tiny piece of low melt solder and used that to join the 2 pieces.  I use to use the low melt solder on white metal locos 'back in the day' and found my supply, along with a bottle of liquid flux.

End result:

DSCF5314.jpg

The end result is tidier than it appears although I now realise I should also have tinned the piece this side!  Araldite will have to suffice.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, TeeELL said:

The end result is tidier than it appears although I now realise I should also have tinned the piece this side!  Araldite will have to suffice.

Doesn't matter what it looks like on the inside as it won't be seen. And it'll be a lot stronger than super glue. Nice one.

John.

This soldering sounds a little bit more in depth than I first thought, I borrow a friends Maplins soldering iron I will see how it turns out. As long as everything is stuck and holds I will be a happy man.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Doesn't matter what it looks like on the inside as it won't be seen. And it'll be a lot stronger than super glue.

I don't know, but I can only imagine the real thing probably wouldn't have had the tidiest of welds on the inside either.....Plus it's part of the running gear, QED it will get covered in  :poop:

• Haha 1

Ozzy,

the soldering isn’t too difficult.  The important things:

a.  A soldering iron with enough oomph to heat the work area, for me a 30watt iron with a pointed tip was no use, but the 40watt with a chisel tip was fine.

b.  Clean the area you wish to solder, fine wet&dry and remove the residue.

c. ‘Tin’ the surfaces with a fine layer of solder used with flux - look for a shiney finish.

d.  Either finish by using a little more solder to connect the tinned parts or, use low melt solder (which will grip the tinned surfaces).

e.  Thoroughly wash off any remaining flux because it is either corrosive or waxy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

the soldering isn’t too difficult.  The important things:

a.  A soldering iron with enough oomph to heat the work area, for me a 30watt iron with a pointed tip was no use, but the 40watt with a chisel tip was fine.

b.  Clean the area you wish to solder, fine wet&dry and remove the residue.

c. ‘Tin’ the surfaces with a fine layer of solder used with flux - look for a shiney finish.

d.  Either finish by using a little more solder to connect the tinned parts or, use low melt solder (which will grip the tinned surfaces).

e.  Thoroughly wash off any remaining flux because it is either corrosive or waxy.

I haven't done any soldering since my apprenticeship days at Austin Rover (RIP) but I have recently bought a simple soldering iron for fixing larger PE. As it turns out, I'm not using Eduard's PE fenders on my current build as I believe the kit's plastic fenders are thin enough to pass muster. I doubt I'll be using an iron on the tiny bits either.

However, I did enjoy soldering, and remember a few tricks. 

So, if I may, I would like to add a couple of tips to your list above, and they are :

Using a brush, paint flux onto the precise areas you wish the solder to go. Cut tiny chunks of solder off the 'wire' and spread them out over the fluxed areas. Then place the tip of the iron into the flux near to each chunk of solder in turn. Each time the heat will spread through the metal and the flux, and each chunk will soon melt. Once melted, spread the solder over the flux and, keeping the iron in contact with the flux, move towards the next chunk, and repeat until the fluxed area is covered. To join the two 'tinned' parts, re-apply flux to the tinned areas, again using a brush, then bring the two parts together and place the tip of the iron into the join. This will re-melt the solder and it will quickly run into the join. Immediately remove the iron, thus allowing the solder to solidify and then move a bit further along the join, and repeat.

Afterwards, any excess flush can be washed off with soapy water.

Using the technique above gives a neater and stronger bond, and lessens the amount of solder required.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Guys, I shall keep you posted over the weekend I had a look and it's a 40W iron. So hopefully if I follow your advice, I should be ok.

• Like 2

Guys,

can I suggest that further questions be fielded in the appropriate section please.  After all, this thread is about my Sherman III build.