TeeELL

Today I have dug out the model I plan to build for this GB.  It is the Dragon Sherman III of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry.  As mentioned when I opted to join this GB, I plan to build the tank named 'HIGHWORTH', although the decal sheet has insufficient 'H's'!!  If anyone can spare the loose 'H's' or the 'H's' from 'THE OLD BELL' from the ECHELON set ALT35002 I would be grateful.  (I tried printing my own but the colour saturation of yellow is poor.

Any way, some photos.  I am sure I really do not need to show photographs of each individual sprue as others will have done so.  So there is a photo with all the bits from the box in the picture.

DSCF5300.jpg

DSCF5301.jpg

Here is a photo of 'HIGHWORTH':

Highworth%20small.jpg

The kit comes with a new 3-piece transmission cover, but fortunately a cast transmission cover is included from the base kit. 

• Like 6

Thanks Ozzy, I am sure one of our number will be able to help with a pair of 'H's'!   'Stix, I will be refering to a guide on correcting Dragon Sherman kits, although at this stage I do not know if the guide is relevant to this particular one.  The RWY Shermans received their 'names' when the unit was re-equipping in Syria so actually post the North Africa campaigns.  Whether 'my' of any of the RWY 'named' Shermans were survivors of that conflict is difficult to know.  That said, I have a Grant and a couple of Crusaders to complete in RWY markings, for that earlier campaign.

• Like 2

The first hurdle I have encountered is the Transmission cover.  RWF Shermans did have 3 piece transmission covers as per the kit - but not 'HIGHWORTH'!!  Whilst there is a cast transmission cover in the kit, the body has been designed to accept the 3-piece.  I am going to have to take a guess and do some modifying in order to get the cast transmission cover to fit.  Photos to follow.  I've also completed the construction of the 12 parts that make up the road wheels.

@TeeELL, sorry if its a stupid question, where did you get your info that RWY tanks were only named in Syria post 1942? I have pics of 2 shermans from the RWY, both named Cricklade, but one is an 'A1DV, and the other an 'A2.

Is it possible that the Regiment re-equipped with 'A2s after leaving north Africa, to replace the mix of Grants, Shermans and Crusaders they were using during Lightfoot/Supercharge, and that the names were added in NA as well?

There is some written evidence that names were applied to RWY Shermans and indeed Grants prior to the re-equipment in Syria.  That said, if my memory serves me correctly, the names given were associated with the Squadron; one example being ALEXANDRIA ? a tank on A Sqn.  The naming of tanks relevant to places in Wiltshire, specifically, took place in Syria because the Unit had been absent from home for a considerable period and it was felt a ‘reminder of home’ would boost moral.  In addition, I understand that photos of the named tanks were sent to the respective places.  (I must see if the Highworth Historical Society knows anything!).  I have a photo of CRICKLADE as a Sherman Mk II but the name could be a lucky coincidence because the tank is part of C Sqn, so the name is therefore appropriate.  The outlined circle and ‘black’ name certainly implies a different (earlier) era to Syria.  I have a photo, of what is believed to be a RWY Sherman Mk II (T146534 - possibly - the numbers are dark but difficult to make out) which shows the cockade aerial identification but no name apparent (it is moving, with turret facing rearwards).  Whilst I am only really interested in HIGHWORTH, I would certainly like a copy of your CRICKLADE as a Mk III (sorry I use the British nomenclature).  From what I can see in the background most, if not all, the ‘named MkIIIs’ appear to have been photographed at the same place

As always, I am more than happy to be corrected on any information I offer.  For what it might be worth, I have looked through my collection of RWY Sherman MK III photos and compiled a list of Transmission cover types and road wheel types.  I will publish it in the reference section.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeeELL said:

There is some written evidence that names were applied to RWY Shermans and indeed Grants prior to the re-equipment in Syria.  That said, if my memory serves me correctly, the names given were associated with the Squadron; one example being ALEXANDRIA ? a tank on A Sqn.  The naming of tanks relevant to places in Wiltshire, specifically, took place in Syria because the Unit had been absent from home for a considerable period and it was felt a ‘reminder of home’ would boost moral.  In addition, I understand that photos of the named tanks were sent to the respective places.  (I must see if the Highworth Historical Society knows anything!).  I have a photo of CRICKLADE as a Sherman Mk II but the name could be a lucky coincidence because the tank is part of C Sqn, so the name is therefore appropriate.  The outlined circle and ‘black’ name certainly implies a different (earlier) era to Syria.  I have a photo, of what is believed to be a RWY Sherman Mk II (T146534 - possibly - the numbers are dark but difficult to make out) which shows the cockade aerial identification but no name apparent (it is moving, with turret facing rearwards).  Whilst I am only really interested in HIGHWORTH, I would certainly like a copy of your CRICKLADE as a Mk III (sorry I use the British nomenclature).  From what I can see in the background most, if not all, the ‘named MkIIIs’ appear to have been photographed at the same place

As always, I am more than happy to be corrected on any information I offer.  For what it might be worth, I have looked through my collection of RWY Sherman MK III photos and compiled a list of Transmission cover types and road wheel types.  I will publish it in the reference section.

There is a list on the Echelon set of decals of what Sherman III in the RWY had what drivers hoods and transmission covers. The vast majority of A2/MkIII`s has single cast transmission covers. The Sherman can be a nightmare working out what is what. 

2 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

The Sherman can be a nightmare working out what is what. 

Not helped by the modular aspect of the type, one tank could have 3 piece or cast covers at different times if my interpretation is correct.

53 minutes ago, bull-nut said:

Not helped by the modular aspect of the type, one tank could have 3 piece or cast covers at different times if my interpretation is correct.

Quite possibly! Certainly the cast differential cover became preferable as production went on. The bolted 3 piece was prone to twisting from the torque of steering the tank and was liable to shatter when hit by anti tank rounds. All later variants had the cast differential cover. 

Edited by Threadbear
better terminology

Eeeeeeek!!!   Stop, please Lol.  I think I shall make a 1/76 Airfix Sherman instead!!!  

You will see from the photo of HIGHWORTH that the crew kindly obscured the majority of details on the tank.  I shall bung the cast transmission cover on the kit and live with the rest although I won’t be draping the crew all over it. 

• Like 1

Aye up Tony.

Sherman's are an absolute bloody nightmare with all the various tweaks and variations often on the same type! :worry: I just tend to build them as is and try to enjoy the process B)

Regards

Steve

A couple of photos of the 'modifications' required of this kit.

The 3 pc transmission cover and hull are molded to fit but I need to remove some material from the front of the hull to fit the cast transmission cover.

DSCF5305.jpg

DSCF5306.jpg

DSCF5307.jpg

Best I get on then!!

• Like 4

I 'got on' amd having removed the offending bit of plastic, found that the 'cast transmission cover' could have fitted over it as it seems to need to sit lower than the 3 piece.  Not to worry, I am not planning on showing off the underneath!!  Started putting the turret together so I continue to make a bit of progress.  A bit confused by the rear plate of the upper hull (the bit that overhangs the exhausts)  there are 10 marks which, it seems, either need drilling out or need tiny etched rivets? I've no idea which way to jump on that.  I guess another trawl through my reference photos is required.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Is this the configuration on the rear? On the kit I've got there PE parts

image.jpg

Great pic Ozzy,

I need to add the bolt heads to mine at some point, which are indeed tiny etch parts! :huh:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

That’s it!  The kit options are holes or the etch ‘bolt heads’, the photos I have seen suggest either, yours - bolt/rivet heads.  Trouble is, rear views of tanks are, relatively, rare especially RWF.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, TeeELL said:

Today I have dug out the model I plan to build for this GB.  It is the Dragon Sherman III of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry.  As mentioned when I opted to join this GB, I plan to build the tank named 'HIGHWORTH', although the decal sheet has insufficient 'H's'!!  If anyone can spare the loose 'H's' or the 'H's' from 'THE OLD BELL' from the ECHELON set ALT35002 I would be grateful.  (I tried printing my own but the colour saturation of yellow is poor.

Any way, some photos.  I am sure I really do not need to show photographs of each individual sprue as others will have done so.  So there is a photo with all the bits from the box in the picture.

DSCF5300.jpg?

DSCF5301.jpg

Here is a photo of 'HIGHWORTH':

Highworth%20small.jpg

The kit comes with a new 3-piece transmission cover, but fortunately a cast transmission cover is included from the base kit. 

Hi TeeELL,

I saw 'RWY' in the title and thought 'I wonder?'.

I served in A squadron RWY in the mid 80's and I know the town of Highworth very well, having once worked for Link Radio Cars.

I was aware that the RWY were active in the Middle East in WWII, but had no idea they had Shermans or Grants - certainly more powerful than the Fox's I drove!

I will be following your build with interest and if you should have any problems and swear loudly enough, I may even be able to hear you!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

this is what you get in the DV kit, in the top right hand corner are the nut allocation. The rear of the hull is flat smooth.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Ozzy, I’ve taken the easy option for now and drilled .5mm holes as per the ‘option’, making this 1/35 kit is driving me crazy with all the ‘bits’ Lol!  I am loosing the will, still I am making quicker progress than anticipated and will post some photos in my next post later today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1