Percival Gull Six

leyreynolds

Both these aircraft are listed in David Gearings book.  G-ADEP has a photo and I would hazard that it was overall Percival Blue with Silver letters. It ended up in Spain until 1948. G-ADMI  Also went to Spain via France as  F-APEI (not L). It too survived until after WW.2  No Illustration i'm afraid.  G-ADPR was I believe always Silver overall with outline Black letters (presumably to save weight) apart from it's impressment days in camouflage as AX866.

John

Jean Batten's Mew Gull was hanging in Auckland Airport's International terminal. I didn't see it when I went through last week - it's head down to get through the interminable duty free these days...

• Like 1

G-ADMI is recorded as being turquoise blue by the newspapers in the Isle of Man when it took part in the 1936 air races. I assume this is Percival blue. A very poor photo in our archives shows it having a dark cheat line and dark lettering. I don't use any photo hosting sites but if you PM me with your email address I'll send you a copy of it.

19 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

G-ADMI is recorded as being turquoise blue by the newspapers in the Isle of Man when it took part in the 1936 air races. I assume this is Percival blue.

I believe the 'Percival Blue' is a turquoise color. Research done by someone I trust gives turquoise and silver as the standard factory colors for the Gull.

Percival used Titanine brand paints and an original 1935 color chart from the company shows a turquoise which may be what was used.

As an aside, Kingsford Smith's Gull Four 'Miss Southern cross' was painted the standard turquoise and silver and not his usual dark blue color as is often assumed.

Tim

On 1/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, Jo NZ said:

Jean Batten's Mew Gull was hanging in Auckland Airport's International terminal. I didn't see it when I went through last week - it's head down to get through the interminable duty free these days...

It's a Gull Six, a Mew is a much smaller single-seater. I don't think there's a KFC anywhere else in the world where you can sit and look at a long-distance recordbreaker.

G-ADPR, Jean's machine, has sometimed been described as having dark green registration letters. My Omega 1/72 kit decals has black. A Proctor I here has been restored to Vega configuration and has markings closely based on it but I haven't actually taken photos of the letters close up:

34874405703_1fe0a41511_b.jpg869DA76F-3B03-4525-946C-5EA53E85DA50_zpslducnjwz by Zac Yates, on Flickr

• Like 2

Yes, Sorry but my reference to Percival Blue was assuming that folk would know the standard Percival House colour was Turquoise Blue fuselage  with Silver flying surfaces. The fuselage letters were Silver. 

I've just found some more pictures of Jean Batten's Gull VI in pre-war colours with a solid dark coloured registration which isn't dark enough for Black.

John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

Is there any modelling paint colour that is close to this turquoise please?

When Im back at home , early next week, I'll match the original Titanine 'Turquoise Blue' color chip to my FS, BS and RAL charts and post a match.

Tim

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Ley,

don't know if this is of any use, purports to be Titanine 1935 paint chart, No.2 top left.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/bsc318c1931wm_large.jpg

my guess would be Vallejo, but which one???

Paul

This is not a Titanine specific color chart but a 1931 British Standard Colours 318C color chart...

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bsc1931wm_1.htm

The "No 2 Turquoise Blue" does appear to be slightly similar to my 1935 Titanine "Turquoise Blue--Shade No. TE 140" color chip.

I'll have a match for the Titanine color chip next week, Tuesday I hope, when I return home from a trip.

Tim

On 1/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, VH-USB said:

I'll have a match for the Titanine color chip next week, Tuesday I hope, when I return home from a trip.

Tim

I've matched my original 1935 Titanine 'Turquoise Blue-Shade No. TE 140' color chip to the US Federal Standards and the British Standards color chips. Here are the matches...

FS14272  -  A near perfect match.

BS14C37 Green  -  About 10-15% too dark, needs to be lightened for a close match.

Not being a current model builder I can't provide any modeling paint matches. Sorry. 

Hope this is of help.

Tim

• 3 months later...

Any further movement on this colour topic, gents?  Like a Zero paint match or even a Vallejo, if we must!

I am a Percival fan having had my first ever flight in a Prentice at Southend airport 48 years ago!

Cheers,

Martin

1 hour ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Any further movement on this colour topic, gents?  Like a Zero paint match or even a Vallejo, if we must!

If you are talking model car paints, then Leytonhouse Turquoise might be a starting point. But it's too vivid and would need a lot of white and maybe some yellow adding.  Whatever, you will be stuck with mixing as there's no model paint which is anywhere close.

Thanks, Roger, but damn, as I have an inability with colours. I have to be able to buy them as they should be because when I mix they all turn out like what we habitues of boat yards call Ship brown!  Unlike light, mixing colours always makes a kind of browny peuce colour depending on how much red is in there.  I don't actually like turquoise anyway really!  So that saves me the hassle.  Pity it's not a known aircraft colour, but I think Zero are indeed more car than aircraft.  I prefer a pale blue if I'm honest!

Cheers,

Martin