Tamiya 1:72 Bell X-1

SimonL

i have had a liking for the Bell X-1 since watching The Right Stuff many years ago. It ss the early part of the film with Sam Shepard's extraordinary performance as Chuck Yeager that I most enjoy. A colleague, who knows of my model making habits, was kind enough to send me a portion of the "stash" of a a friend of his who passed away a year of so ago. Within that batch he sent me was Tamiya's 1:72 scale kit of the X-1 and I thought that it would make a good kit to start 2018 with for my first WIP.

Bell X-1

So what do you get in the box?

Some very nice plastic, with just a little flash. Included are transparent fuselage halves if you want to reveal the inner workings of the aircraft - not for me this time. The previous owner had got as far as painting a few parts, but other than that the kit was untouched.

Bell X-1

Bell X-1

Bell X-1

A small decal sheet.

Bell X-1

I of course will be finishing the kit in the markings for the record breaking flight.

Bell X-1

One reason for choosing this as my first kit of the year, I happen to have some orange paint in stock that looks just fine when brushed onto a spare bit of plastic.

Bell X-1

So to work.

First thing was to glue in the cockpit panel - I am going to finish this "all buttoned up". In a good sign, it fitted really well.

Bell X-1

Next the main cockpit components (what little there is - I think this is going to be a fairly quick build).

Bell X-1

Tamiya provide a steel ball bearing as a weight, that needs to be encased in part of the internals of the aircraft.

Bell X-1

Next time - onto cockpit painting!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im in for this if you please Im a fan of X-Types. :popcorn:

Welcome along for the ride - although the way things are going its not going to be a long one.

First paint was applied to the cockpit, and a some Tamiya tape seatbelts.

24580878197_f412e8b24e_b.jpg

Then after dirty watercolour wash it was glued in to one side of the fuselage (that cylindrical  object contains the ball bearing alluded to above).

27669949269_0574af2cd0_b.jpg

38568721475_4f5fe3dd3b_b.jpg

Then time to glue the fuselage together - very nice fit (even without location pins).

39416517472_71d3f6b891_b.jpg

Left it alone for the afternoon as it was a bit warm here in Perth (around 36 celsius). Quick job to sand the seams and then on with the wings, which were almost just a butt fit as the tabs were very short. But like everything else, they fitted beautifully. I did have a little bit of an issue with the instrument panel coming loose, but that was easy enough to stick back in place.

39447326221_40e02f36da_b.jpg

Landing gear next I thing. And note to self - avoid breaking off the spindly bits.

• Like 3

I think the next few pics tell the tale - undercarriage on (bar the wheels - a little fiddly to be honest). I also added the cockpit "roof". Then two coats of orange paint followed by Italeri Acrylics Gloss Clear. 

24602340177_d27699e548_b.jpg

First coat

27691759829_7c5ffb6de8_b.jpg

Second coat

25598893568_86ac83336b_b.jpg

Gloss coat

25598893108_4ab151cf46_b.jpg

A quick dry fit of the canopy

24602641847_0c3986cfc1_b.jpg

Can't believe I am on to decals tomorrow already!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Looks great - I really need to do one of these but displayed in flight.  I have never tried Italeri paints - any good?

Thanks. They are pretty good. Can be thinned with water and very forgiving, if somewhat fragile until covered with a matt or gloss coat. I think they may be somewhat similar to Vallejo paints?

17 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Mmmm, nice - must get on and finish mine at some point in time!

....three months late for the 70th Anniversary now! Time flies! :lol:

:D Thanks

15 hours ago, bar side said:

Always like the look of that kit, but wanted to build one being carried by a B-29 mothership.  Nice work

Many thanks - that would be huge in 1:72!

Not much done today - just decals on and some detailwork

39492323081_abc3d848b8_b.jpg

38595791595_689367050f_b.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, andyf117 said:

....three months late for the 70th Anniversary now! Time flies! :lol:

You could shoot for the 75th anniversary. 😆 ... JK id like to see any X-planes as they're a Favorite of mine.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

And done!. Just a little wash of artists' oils run into the moving surfaces and then finished with a quick spray with rattle can of Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear.

24646402487_1c29c243ac_b.jpg

More pictures to follow RFI shortly. Thanks for following this rather quick build.

• Like 4