CH-46A

Pat C

Another Sea Knight question from me. Is it possible to build any of the 1/72 kits available as a Ch-46A? I understand that the Ch-46D has a different rear rotor pylon - is that the case for all CH-46D or was this a late modification? Both Fujimi and Hobby Boss do CH-46Ds but not sure how easy it would be to backdate these,

Pat

Hi Andy - my Fujimi CH-46D kit has the tail moulded with the fuselage. It does have separate exhausts and intakes as you say which slot in and these are on a Sprue marked CH46 A/D KV-107. So I wonder if in the interests of cramming in as many variants from the same tooling they have missed some of the differences between the A and D variants?

EDIT - on closer inspection in fact there is a separate APU section and the instructions tell you to cut off the rear section of the tail in order to fit it. Unless you could read Japanese or knew what you were looking for I'm not sure the average modeller would figure that out!! So thanks for the heads up and looks like an A should be possible from the kit.

EDIT TO EDIT - on even closer inspection I was talking absolute cobblers and tail section is separate as Andy says and you don't need to cut anything and Fujimi make the best instructions in the world ;-)

Pat

Edited by Pat C

Thanks Andy - which of those two shapes above signifies the APU tail with taller pylon or is it not that simple? The pic I posted is I think an "E" and looks to have the same tail as in your picture 3. As does the aircraft below? This is a "D" but I understood some of these could have the earlier tail (and possibly some "A"s were retrofitted?)!

https://www.helis.com/stories/medevac-vietnam.php

Is that add on armour in front of the exhaust?

Pat

Edited by Pat C