S&M Models 1/72 Canberra T4 RAAF A84-501

Managed to get this one over the line and put a RAAF Canberra in my cabinet. Something I have wanted to do for quite some time...

I thoroughly enjoyed the S&M Models kit which went together very well. Based on my humble experience and knowledge they've done a very good job of re-creating these versions of the venerable Canberra.

No major issues were encountered and there is plenty of scope for detailing this kit in either its T4 or B.2 boxings. Build notes and photos are in "Work In Progress - Aircraft" for those who are interested.

Now on to the next one... A B.2/Mk-20 for the RAAF.

Cheers,

AGW..

27661270099_9e6f097702_z.jpg

39407774932_813a469246_z.jpg

38560075765_555668045b_z.jpg

27661269989_3f6499e00b_z.jpg

39407774342_ed9447638d_z.jpg

38560075265_5a2470480f_z.jpg

38560073605_19148f3486_z.jpg

38560074915_4b458e6985_z.jpg

38560073535_f1ef2dc189_z.jpg

39407776052_2474951df2_z.jpg

39407776372_db02af4591_z.jpg

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Just Beautiful Antoney and I hope that you've encouraged many modellers to open their wallets and invest in what appears to be a very fine kit. 

Mine is still winging it's way from the UK and if it turns out half as good as yours I'd be most impressed. Very well modelled. 

Finally a 1/72 early Canberra that both looks right and builds well. 2018 has started well. 

Cheers.. Dave   

• Thanks 1

First rate job there. I've sent Mel a link to your build thread. I'm sure he will be very pleased with the end result after all the hurdles he had to overcome.

It should even persuade the die hard Canberra aficionados to stump up for one. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the kind words.

I trust I've done some justice to the investment and effort the folks at S&M Models put into this one. I think they've done a marvelous job on it.

The B.2/Mk-20 is already on the bench...

12 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Very nice and convincing build. Especially like the high speed silver & dayglo paint job. May I ask which colors you used?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, thank you. The colors are relatively straight forward. 

The high speed silver is decanted Tamiya rattle can AS-12 which is my go to for this finish. It is so stable and dries rock hard very quickly. Same approach was used for these other recent finishes - all 1/72.

39321492122_500545cd3a_z.jpg

39321491752_43f25ac5bd_z.jpg

39321491692_ab7bb19a7e_z.jpg

The Dayglo Orange was a little more challenging. Firstly a white base was applied which was decanted Tamiya rattle Fine Surface Primer White, followed by two mist coats of Gunze Fluorescent Orange. This turned out rather pink and in my previous experiences once you have a decent cover it fades very quickly to pink. 

To stop this I added 25 drops of Gunze Orange to one jar of their Fluorescent Orange, thinned and sprayed. While the photos don't do it justice it came out rather well and has a slightly mottled effect which is typical as this paint as it fades in the elements.

The process is detailed in my posts in the Work In Progress - Aircraft section of this site.

Trust that helps... Cheers and again thanks for the kind words,

AGW..

• Like 3

That looks great Wilks.  A very nice finish.  I've never seen an Aussie Cranberry in that scheme before.  Looks great.  At last an accurate and easy to build Canberra in 1/72.  I can't help thinking Airfix really missed a trick here.

P.S.  A great little RAAF collection you have there.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done! This is a kit that I definitely need to get. Thanks for the WIP, it was very informative. The pink tone of Gunze's Fluorescent Orange goes away with multiple coats, but then you usually end up with a coat of paint that is too thick. Your trick is a good solution to the problem. Another way to get the pink out of Gunze's Fluorescent Orange is to spray it over yellow.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wilks said:

Thanks for your detailed reply mate. Didn't know one can get such a good result with decanted Tamiya rattle can color. Very convincing for HSS. A newbie question: is decanting more than just getting the paint out of the rattle can by normal spraying the color into a jar?

Also like your Vampire - didn't see one yet with the hump on its nose - a special version?

Cheers,

Michael

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Thanks for your detailed reply mate. Didn't know one can get such a good result with decanted Tamiya rattle can color. Very convincing for HSS. A newbie question: is decanting more than just getting the paint out of the rattle can by normal spraying the color into a jar?

Also like your Vampire - didn't see one yet with the hump on its nose - a special version?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael you are welcome. 

I do this a lot where the color is the right one. And where HSS is concerned AS12 is a pretty good match. 

Decanting is exactly as you state. The only modification is that in addition to shaking up the can I also warm it up by putting it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes. Hot not boiling water...

This helps pressurize the can and atomize the paint.  I decant using a straw over the nozzle and straight into my airbrush cup or sometimes just the lid of the can and then into my airbrush cup.

I prefer the two step process as sometimes the paint will bubble once it is out of the can. Give it a minute or two to settle down before slowly pouring into your airbrush cup.

Unlike most paints you can go pretty heavy with this one and give your model a nice wet coat out of the gate. This will ensure a single coat and a very even color and coverage. It has very good leveling properties and only runs in extreme cases. You can also use straight out of the can too as is the case with these...

25581374768_49279889f1_z.jpg

39451561371_b98f2f682c_z.jpg

24585052377_20b66dded3_z.jpg

38743352874_335f823b90_k.jpg

Not the two at the front are the recipients of various Alclad II colors for a Natural Metal Finish.

You can also use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (White) for anything white. Like AS12 provides a fabulously level and even coverage.  These are straight out of the can...

25581374448_cb21f8d4bf_z.jpg

38743354614_a237591f59_z.jpg

24585005167_83a14a4589_z.jpg

25581376868_b51015e4b4_z.jpg

Trust this helps.

AGW..

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Wilks said:

Michael you are welcome. 

I do this a lot where the color is the right one. And where HSS is concerned AS12 is a pretty good match. 

Decanting is exactly as you state. The only modification is that in addition to shaking up the can I also warm it up by putting it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes. Hot not boiling water...

This helps pressurize the can and atomize the paint.  I decant using a straw over the nozzle and straight into my airbrush cup or sometimes just the lid of the can and then into my airbrush cup.

I prefer the two step process as sometimes the paint will bubble once it is out of the can. Give it a minute or two to settle down before slowly pouring into your airbrush cup.

Unlike most paints you can go pretty heavy with this one and give your model a nice wet coat out of the gate. This will ensure a single coat and a very even color and coverage. It has very good leveling properties and only runs in extreme cases. You can also use straight out of the can too as is the case with these...

25581374768_49279889f1_z.jpg

39451561371_b98f2f682c_z.jpg

24585052377_20b66dded3_z.jpg

38743352874_335f823b90_k.jpg

Not the two at the front are the recipients of various Alclad II colors for a Natural Metal Finish.

You can also use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (White) for anything white. Like AS12 provides a fabulously level and even coverage.  These are straight out of the can...

25581374448_cb21f8d4bf_z.jpg

38743354614_a237591f59_z.jpg

24585005167_83a14a4589_z.jpg

25581376868_b51015e4b4_z.jpg

Trust this helps.

AGW..

Cool - like this easy way of decanting - might give it a try. Will the decanted AS-12 be thin enough so that pre-shading will be noticeable? I also used it directly out of the can and got nice results but you are a bit limited in terms of adding thin coats the make use of pre-shading, mixing different tones, etc.

I like your collection a lot - especially your Mirage III fleet looks great. Someone likes Australian jets here 😉. Must say that the Alclad painted ones look top notch - great job. May I ask which kits you used? I have also some Mirage III on my to do list - being Swiss, well they will be Swiss IIIS, RS and DS - maybe also the one IIIC we got as trial machine. Puh - so many kits to build...

I also used the Tamiya white primer as color - works pretty well and even looks better than their official white from the can. Your Caribou looks great.

Thanks for your kindness and for learning me all this - appreciate it.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Michael

31 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Cool - like this easy way of decanting - might give it a try. Will the decanted AS-12 be thin enough so that pre-shading will be noticeable? I also used it directly out of the can and got nice results but you are a bit limited in terms of adding thin coats the make use of pre-shading, mixing different tones, etc.

I like your collection a lot - especially your Mirage III fleet looks great. Someone likes Australian jets here 😉. Must say that the Alclad painted ones look top notch - great job. May I ask which kits you used? I have also some Mirage III on my to do list - being Swiss, well they will be Swiss IIIS, RS and DS - maybe also the one IIIC we got as trial machine. Puh - so many kits to build...

I also used the Tamiya white primer as color - works pretty well and even looks better than their official white from the can. Your Caribou looks great.

Thanks for your kindness and for learning me all this - appreciate it.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Michael

AS12 thin enough out of the can to use with pre-shading. Light mist coats of grays will create panel shade differences quite well. 

The Mirages are all High Planes Models 1/72 IIIO and IIIDs. I have built 30 of them so far with the 31st sitting on the bench now.

25581369638_cf6644f84f_k.jpg

They are a great kit and the best 1/72 Mirage by far. I have seen some of these done up to represent Swiss operated aircraft which look great. There may even be a Swiss version. Forgive me I am not sure as I only build 1/72 Australian operated aircraft, so definitely a them there...

Alclad machines look great and easy to apply.

38574510345_25a4212ff3_z.jpg

Agree Tamiya fine surface primer is better than their stock white. 

Thanks on the Caribou. I spent some time correcting the dihedral (quite easy to do) in addition to adding an aftermarket cockpit and canopy which make all the difference.

Good luck with your Swiss Mirages. I'd love to see them when done.

AGW..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Truly excellent Canberra, with the bonus of some superb Mirages.

Perfect

1 hour ago, Wilks said:

Didn't think that AS-12 out of the can would be thin enough for making pre-shading work - good to know. May I ask for a bit more details around the grey for panel lines. You mean applying it on top of the HSS, right? Post-shading? With mist coats you mean still just normally diluted gray color applied very thin, right?

Wow, what an impressive Mirage collection you have there - I am a bit jealous I must say :-). Did the RAAF also use the R (reconnaissance version)?

I got PJ Production Mirage kits with the conversions for building the Swiss versions (S, RS, DS) - looks very nice. For building the C version I got a R.V. Aircraft kit - looks also decent enough and comes with Swiss markings. Are you also building 1/48 kits?

I must say I not know a lot about the RAAF but like the types used I have seen from your collection. With the Mirage and the Vampire there are already two machines also used by the Swiss air force. Looking at prop planes, the Mustang is another machine used in both air forces - nice.

Are you originally from Australia or a Tennessee guy with an interest in the RAAF? I flew once at the yoke of a Cessna 182 over Memphis, my flying instructor felt asleep and all of a sudden, the Memphis ATC was yelling at me making me aware of traffic and me not being at the right altitude. Quite a shock when one just had approx. 7 flight lessons. My instructor got awake quite quickly, took over control until we got out of the airport area and then doze off again. Was an exciting and funny experience.

Cheers,

Michael

43 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Didn't think that AS-12 out of the can would be thin enough for making pre-shading work - good to know. May I ask for a bit more details around the grey for panel lines. You mean applying it on top of the HSS, right? Post-shading? With mist coats you mean still just normally diluted gray color applied very thin, right?

Wow, what an impressive Mirage collection you have there - I am a bit jealous I must say :-). Did the RAAF also use the R (reconnaissance version)?

I got PJ Production Mirage kits with the conversions for building the Swiss versions (S, RS, DS) - looks very nice. For building the C version I got a R.V. Aircraft kit - looks also decent enough and comes with Swiss markings. Are you also building 1/48 kits?

I must say I not know a lot about the RAAF but like the types used I have seen from your collection. With the Mirage and the Vampire there are already two machines also used by the Swiss air force. Looking at prop planes, the Mustang is another machine used in both air forces - nice.

Are you originally from Australia or a Tennessee guy with an interest in the RAAF? I flew once at the yoke of a Cessna 182 over Memphis, my flying instructor felt asleep and all of a sudden, the Memphis ATC was yelling at me making me aware of traffic and me not being at the right altitude. Quite a shock when one just had approx. 7 flight lessons. My instructor got awake quite quickly, took over control until we got out of the airport area and then doze off again. Was an exciting and funny experience.

Cheers,

Michael

43 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Cheers,

Michael

The AS-12 has worked well for pre-shading for me before.  You are soot on regarding the gray for post shading.

Thanks on the Mirages. There are five additional kits not in that photo. I haven't attempted to do a 30 ship line up yet. Maybe at easter.

RAAF did not use the R version, rather fitted a recon nose with cameras in them. I have done a couple of those. Nose available as a High Planes Plus set. 

I don't do 48th scale. Started with 72 scale 40 odd years ago and haven't really deviated. I will do a couple of 32 scale Mirages at some point.

The RAAF also operates Hornets so there is yet another type in common. 

I am an Aussie living and working in Memphis. Sounds like an interesting trip over Memphis. When FedEx are operating it is a busy bit of airspace.

Cheers,

AGW..

1 hour ago, Wilks said:

The AS-12 has worked well for pre-shading for me before.  You are soot on regarding the gray for post shading.

Thanks on the Mirages. There are five additional kits not in that photo. I haven't attempted to do a 30 ship line up yet. Maybe at easter.

RAAF did not use the R version, rather fitted a recon nose with cameras in them. I have done a couple of those. Nose available as a High Planes Plus set. 

I don't do 48th scale. Started with 72 scale 40 odd years ago and haven't really deviated. I will do a couple of 32 scale Mirages at some point.

The RAAF also operates Hornets so there is yet another type in common. 

I am an Aussie living and working in Memphis. Sounds like an interesting trip over Memphis. When FedEx are operating it is a busy bit of airspace.

Cheers,

AGW..

I thought you must be Australian with such a dedication to its air force :-). Yup, the Hornet is another one in common then. 

Interesting about the camera version Mirage - do you have a close up pic of one of your reconnaissance builds?

You definitely should do the line up of all of your Mirage builds - gone look great. I see you are a Mirage fan as well when you intent to build some 1/32 kits. It's one of the best looking jet fighters ever in my opinion. Would love to have a flight in a D version - dreaming is allowed :-)

Yup, Memphis air space was quite crowded - also some Military transportation machines the ATC guy made us aware of ;-)

Cheers,

Michael

18 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

I thought you must be Australian with such a dedication to its air force :-). Yup, the Hornet is another one in common then. 

Interesting about the camera version Mirage - do you have a close up pic of one of your reconnaissance builds?

You definitely should do the line up of all of your Mirage builds - gone look great. I see you are a Mirage fan as well when you intent to build some 1/32 kits. It's one of the best looking jet fighters ever in my opinion. Would love to have a flight in a D version - dreaming is allowed :-)

Yup, Memphis air space was quite crowded - also some Military transportation machines the ATC guy made us aware of ;-)

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

This is one of the two recon nose jets I've built out of the High Planes Models and their Hight Planes Plus conversion...

25602226878_828485427b_z.jpg

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 2