Mustang P 51 - Glamours Glen III

https://

39104162611_93e2325365_b.jpg

38222323205_7b6d082281_b.jpg

I have tried the Bare Metal Foil Aluminium on this one. First time have used it and it was interesting to see what difference it made to put the foil on in different directions and the difference varying amount of polishing of different areas made. 

Andrew 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Very nice, it's rare to see a 'full foil' build, the result is stunning.

Thanks, the foil does need to be put on a perfectly finished model - which this isn’t and it is wrinkly in some areas. I think I could do better next time I was thinking of a jet subject next but haven’t decided which one? Probably one of the early American century jets but I am not sure. I could look at what Chuck Yeager flew after the Second World War.  

41 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great effect's with the foil Andrew,good job all round.

Thanks Steve. 

• Like 1

Great Mustang and the foil takes the fuselage to the next level of realism, I think.

The P-51 wings weren't natural metal though, but puttied, sanded down and painted with aluminium dope, all in order to give the laminar flow airfoil the smoothest possible surface finish.

Smart looking model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Great Mustang and the foil takes the fuselage to the next level of realism, I think.

The P-51 wings weren't natural metal though, but puttied, sanded down and painted with aluminium dope, all in order to give the laminar flow airfoil the smoothest possible surface finish.

Smart looking model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim, and thanks for the information and I know you are correct but I do find it very difficult to fill detail in. 

Andrew. 

2 hours ago, glatisant said:

Great build. Your a braver man than I. Foil is not something I would attempt. How does the foil react to being weathered after it's applied? 

Hello Glatisant, I think this is a case of not knowing it was something difficult to do! Ignorance is a a great motivator.  The foil is easy to work with and can be cut with a new scalpel blade using the recessed panel lines of the kit.  

It is delicate once it is on and care must be taken when applying weathering (ask me how I know).  It can be easily weathered with chalk pastels.  

Andrew 

Edited by Bear Paw
Replace word

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely job. Don't think I could summon up the courage to foil a kit.

Currently using AK interactive metal paints on my 1/48 Mustang, will see how it turns out.

Pete

Hello Pete, I have used the AK interactive paints and they are very good. 

Have a practice on an old model with the foil I think you will find it good to work with. If the foil is laid in different directions and is polished to varying degrees it produces different colours of the aluminium foil.  

Andrew. 

• Like 1