M4A2 'Charmer' *FINISHED 03/03/18*

fatfingers

• 3 weeks later...

How do chaps,

Been a while since I did anything with Charmer. Managed to get a few hours in the tank factory today and started on the weathering.

Decided to go a bit 'old school' and use an oil wash. Mixed up some cheap burnt umber and lamp black oils with Humbrol enamel thinner and this was applied with a 000 sable brush. I attached the running gear apart from the sprockets and idlers. Also added the stowage on the rear deck. Some Vallejo mud was added to the lower hull too.

LqR1YJ8.jpg

EKyXzxa.jpg

TZWi4d0.jpg

blyU53C.jpg

lcfWfpc.jpg

s7nHkWS.jpg

The rope around the stowage is embroidery thread that I recently picked up from Halifax market for a couple of quid and I have enough of it to last me for ever!!!

q3QSOKE.jpg

Final pic with a figure that I', thinking of using. he's from the Miniart British Tank Crew set. He look a smidge too big for 35th scale. He measures about 52mm. Not sure how that scales out to real life though :hmmm: 

5YyYyPX.jpg

I also need to source some new T49 tracks as the ones I scrounged off and old kit are too stiff and twisted to fit without knackering the running gear :fraidnot: Once I get these I should then be able to have this finished in short order!

Regards,

Steve.

Edited by fatfingers
Forgot to add pic!
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Final pic with a figure that I', thinking of using

Great work. I'm liking all the markings. Lovely textures. Nice stowage. I can see no figure though!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Your weathering really is picking out the details Steve and the stowage looks spot on! Very well done all round! Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I like a lot of paint and weathering, and the equipment is great ...:popcorn:

I'm sorry I missed it, but I have not gone through the GBST thread until yesterday, that I'm going to start with my kit, and I see that there are already great progresses everywhere ...:analintruder:

Cheers mate :yes:

• Like 1

That's looking good Steve, the weathering is nice and subtle.

On 17/02/2018 at 21:14, fatfingers said:

He look a smidge too big for 35th scale. He measures about 52mm. Not sure how that scales out to real life though :hmmm: 

Well, if you really want to know, 52mm x35 -> 1820 mm (1.82m - about 5 ' 111/2").  Maybe a bit tall if he'd been a Russian tanker, but given the height of guardsmen driving Shermans, he's not too bad. 

• Thanks 1

How do chaps,

Many thanks for all the comments. Pics now uploaded below. The tracks were a bit of a faff to get on and I had to go careful so as not to do any damage. The idler wheel was left off until the track was in place. I had to tweak the position of the idler on either side to ensure the best fit I could get.

jJcY0dy.jpg

G6saCWa.jpg

AsXdV2j.jpg

A little liquid refreshment helped.

gOHXZTs.jpg

Sat on it's intended scenic base with the figure.

G3BmY1L.jpg

More weathering was done to the tracks and running gear. This was mainly more washes and some ground dark brown pastels. The tank was then attached to the base with a whacking great screw through the bottom and into the base. This also helped to even out the running gear and plant the tank into the grass as opposed to it being sat on top of it. Matt varnish was applied at this point too. The high points on the treads were rubbed with a graphite pencil and this added a nice metallic sheen (not obvious in the pics sadly)

LO7o5u7.jpg

Xp1q9wH.jpg

IgtfUg9.jpg

XnKYvQQ.jpg

FygyCVL.jpg

Started work on the figure too. undercoated with Tamiya Nato Black and then a darkened mix off Buff for the Pixie Suit. The Jerkin is GW Scorched Brown. The flesh was painted with GW paints. Agrax Earth shade wash all over the figure with Reikland Flesh shade on the hands and face.

cFqv6kF.jpg

rY6ZGuk.jpg

Here he is all finished. Not perfect by any means but he'll do for me. Figures never were my thing!

prh0eyh.jpg

Few more tweaks here and there and an aerial to add to the turret then Charmer will be done. Will also call into the local engravers at some point for a nice plate for the base.

More pics to follow soon,

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

Excellent progress Steve. Those tracks look great. That base will add nicely to the project. I'm very impressed with the weathering effects you have achieved on the tracks and running gear. Everything is coming together very nicely! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

The base looks great, where did you get it? Your figure painting skills are good, no need to be so disparaging - I am still wondering about including the figure in my kit but don't have confidence in my painting skills.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. much appreciated :D

16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

The base looks great, where did you get it? Your figure painting skills are good, no need to be so disparaging - I am still wondering about including the figure in my kit but don't have confidence in my painting skills.

Thanks Nigel. I picked it up at the Huddersfield Show last year. Made by a company called 'Model Scene' they do the mats in various sizes and different types of terrain. Think that one was 'summer meadow' or some such. They really are great and got a couple of their smaller ones at this years show too. This one was about A4 in size and was cut in half. The base is a cheap photo frame from The Range.  

Soooo....... Charmer is finished. I've added an aerial to the turret and done a few touch ups here and there. The figure is attached to the base with a pin that is pushed into the foam board that I used to raise the height of the grass mat. Really enjoyed doing this and have learned a few things along the way. A few pics below of the finished article and will put 5 more into the GB Gallery.

sIrgxpM.jpg

QQPzwNr.jpg

8m71LdS.jpg

L42OCWp.jpg

tgLkfJL.jpg

L2sndNM.jpg

Thanks for tagging along and for all of the comments and encouragements.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

Excellent result Steve. The finish you have achieved is really top notch! The figure and base really set it off well too! Very well done. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1