M4A2 'Charmer' *FINISHED 03/03/18*

fatfingers

How do chaps,

With all that there festive nonsense over with I thought it was time to declare my intent and make a start on my contribution. After a lot of indecision and procrastination this is what I decided to go with.

NezyzMb.jpg

This will be built as 'Charmer' from the 13/18 Hussars in Normandy. Decals are from Archer and are dry rub. I really like the large turret numbers.

SL61w8J.jpg

PCNmeXG.jpg

The sprues.

dcz6UH4.jpg

And a large box of spare bits should I need them!

Yc4SoYZ.jpg

I have a set of AFV Club 3 bar cleat tracks that I salvaged of an old kit years ago. Hopefully they will fit :worry:

Started off with cleaning up the running gear.

Q9rfg6g.jpg

rhYCPXU.jpg

All put together. The real tank had solid spoked wheels apart from one of the rear bogeys that had an open spoked wheel.

Qj6c9Gh.jpg

All of the pictures that I've seen of 'Charmer' don't show what type of track skid was fitted. The Dragon kit has two types so I'm a bit torn as to which to use. Early or swept - any of our Sherman experts know what type were fitted? :huh: But if not I'm not overly concerned.

C78fDGF.jpg

7503JQQ.jpg

Rear plate with exhausts fitted.

eN7tHlU.jpg

Transmission housing fitted. This took a bit of fettling to get right.

fbWPWmW.jpg

Holes opened up in upper hull for the tools.

pq6neZh.jpg

Nice detailing on the front glacis plate and around the DV ports.

RXpghmI.jpg

And with the hull top fitted.

v0XsUpR.jpg

This is going together faster than I imagined it would. At this rate I might even be able to build another one!!!!

More soon,

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
Finished!
  • Like 16

Nice one Steve,

we we look to be at about the same stage, I've got to say she's going together like a dream so far. Looking at the art work on your transfers they gone with the later skids. Are you planning any wadding kit for the rear?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one Steve,

we we look to be at about the same stage, I've got to say she's going together like a dream so far. Looking at the art work on your transfers they gone with the later skids. Are you planning any wadding kit for the rear?

Thanks Ozzy.

I was inclined to go for the later skids but wasn't sure. No wading kit as I imagine it was taken off at some point :D I do have a nice Ultracast stowage box for the turret rear though!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

Neat!

I have this kit too and have been wondering what to do with it, as it can't really be built as any of the markings provided tanks, without new tracks and various other mods.

I didn't know DV Sherman IIIs were used in France.

Have any photos of the real thing?

• Like 1

Hi Steve. Hope you are well. I have this kit in the stash so I will be interested to follow what you do with it. Looking good so far. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Just a quick word of warning when you open the track packaging, mine were covered in an oily substance. I've not seen that before on DS tracks previously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Just a quick word of warning when you open the track packaging, mine were covered in an oily substance. I've not seen that before on DS tracks previously.

Thanks Ozzy. Won't be using kit tracks as Charmer was fitted with 3 bar cleat type. I have a set of the AFV Club tracks to use :yes:

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

Splendid.....IIRC I commissioned a set of 1/72 decals based on profiles of this vehicle and its platoon mates (should probably use them one day).  I believe I've got some reference pictures of the platoon being loaded up prior to departure for Normandy.....PM me if they might be of use.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:29 PM, fatfingers said:

Thanks Ozzy. Won't be using kit tracks as Charmer was fitted with 3 bar cleat type. I have a set of the AFV Club tracks to use :yes:

Regards

Steve

Is it the T-49 track that many British sherman IIIs wore, or something else?

• Like 1

Yes T-49. Very common on British Shermans apparently. I did some googling and found quite a few pics of 'Charmer' showing the tracks and a bit of stowage too :D

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

How do chaps.

Got some more done today.

Went with the swept track skids and these are now fitted. These were a bit of a faff to clean up but look ok fitted.

Jk42ZBv.jpg

Started to add the various bits and bobs to the upper hull. Decided to use the plastic light guards as me and etch don't usually get too well! :frantic:

2Qo4C0c.jpg

BVRFecv.jpg

The additional armour panels were scrounged from an old Dragon M4A4 kit that's been languishing in the loft for many years.

rzcf2kI.jpg

I realised that this one was fitted a bit too high so it was prised off and re fitted lower.

AzFdLQq.jpg

Also made a start on the spinning shooty bit. Seam line needs a bit more work on it too.

84qeN24.jpg

xL1ki9T.jpg

Hopefully get the build finished in the next day or so and then time for some paint.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 9

Yes great progress steve,  super looking kit, your putting it together well,  I'm looking forward to the painting now, to be fair those headlight gaurds are no where near as bad as academy's effort, which are  pretty industrial looking to be honest, 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

Nice nice nice.

Funny you mention favoring the plastic guards over the PE offerings.

I always thought that Dragon's plastic bits are more than adequate, so I've been scrounging the PE to replace the chunky bits in Tamiya M4s.

That way everyone looks nice.

• Like 2

How do chaps,

Had a good few hours in the shed today and here's where I'm at with the build.

I added the etch bolt heads to the rear plate. These were stuck on with Gator Glue. Went bog eyed doing this and the amount is wrong - but I aint that worried about it :nah:

8Mlks5o.jpg

In this kit the front fenders are etch and as mentioned before I avoid this where ever possible. A quick furtle in the pile of Sherman spares I found 2 from an old kit. after a bit of trimming they fitted ok.

wyAtUpD.jpg

imt72SF.jpg

Also added a resin stowage box. This is from Ultracast in Canada. I ordered 5 of these direct and they weighed in at just over £20 posted and only took about 10 days to arrive. I then decided to add the strips that the skirts are fitted to. Again the kit provides these in brass, but I decided to use plastic strip. Holes were drilled into this too to represent where the bolts would be. Not perfect but they will do. 'Charmer' also had a metal bar fitted on the transmission housing, so this was fitted at the same time.

A2hUZKL.jpg

hiQqUz8.jpg

'Charmer' also had some tracks fitted to the front glacis plate and the turret. These were again nabbed form the spares pile and fitted. The brackets were knocked up from plastic strip.

f2z6duW.jpg

Also started to play with some stowage on the hull front. This is based on an actual photo of 'Charmer' As regards the rear stowage I think I will just wing it :D

MxDYHHh.jpg

I will also need to knock up a bracket for the smoke grenade launchers to be fitted after the paint and decals have been added. I reckon she's about ready for some paint now. Will hopefully get the primer coat done tomorrow when I get back from my local club meet :smile:

Really enjoyed doing some 'scratching' today.

More soon.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
Imgur being a prat again!!!!!
  • Like 11

Like it so far. I have to say that I will also try and use plasticard instead of etch when I can, especially the sand shield attachment strip along the side of the hull. Once glued, they never come off, unlike the etched ones that can be a PITA in that department.

John.

• Thanks 1

Not being an armour modeller, this is an interesting thread to follow to see how it's done. Sometimes tempted by small scale armour, but then I look at the stash and the model railway stuff, and I think there is enough to be going on with. 

• Like 2