Dragon M4a3 105mm

Joss

Hi Joss. That looks like good progress. I have used Dragon's DS tracks on a couple of 1/72 builds before and they seem to work okay - I painted them first with Revell's Aqua Acrylic Anthracite, thinned with water, which seems to work well and remain flexible. Over this I did a range of dry-brushing and washes. The first tracks I did like this were about three years ago and they are still okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

With regards to the DS tracks, the ones that I've used in the past, I've always sprayed a primer coat of Halfords grey primer and then painted/weathered them with Tamiya acrylics. So far, no problems, and some of them at about 8 years since painting.

John.

Ah that's good to hear John!! I shall give that a try and just go the acrylic route and cross my fingers it must be the hot paints like lauqers and enamels that do it then!!

Regards

Joss

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Joss. That looks like good progress. I have used Dragon's DS tracks on a couple of 1/72 builds before and they seem to work okay - I painted them first with Revell's Aqua Acrylic Anthracite, thinned with water, which seems to work well and remain flexible. Over this I did a range of dry-brushing and washes. The first tracks I did like this were about three years ago and they are still okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, yeah getting there!! Thanks for the info it seems that I should be safe if I stick with acrylics!! But that's not a problem hopefully! Just wondering did you use acrylic or enamel washes over the other paint??

Regards

Joss

7 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Got mine in the post today. The tracks are packed flat! :thumbsup:

Regards.

Steve.

Excellent Steve I'll look forward to watching your build of it aswell if you plan on doing it? 

I'll swap the tracks if you want to though! :winkgrin:

Joss

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joss said:

Cheers Stix, yeah getting there!! Thanks for the info it seems that I should be safe if I stick with acrylics!! But that's not a problem hopefully! Just wondering did you use acrylic or enamel washes over the other paint??

Regards

Joss

Good morning Joss. I don't use any enamels at all. Everything I use is acrylic based. I don't seem to get on well with enamels. I have no idea how enamels react over acrylics either. If you are not sure I would suggest some testing might be in order before risking it on the actual kit. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Just found your thread Joss.. and guess what?

Snap!

38824958764_7e7fbfe63e_o.jpg

This was my planned build. So I suppose I will do the US Army version for mine. I have a couple of other builds to finish up before I start, so you should well and truly should have the bugs sorted out before I start mine.

:popcorn:

• Like 2

@PlaStix ... & anyone else. If it helps i use a mix of acrylic and enamel. I brush them on next to eachother with 0 problems. If i spray i usually let them dry, cure, & offgas for at least 24 hours between the two colors. Sometimes i put a clearcoat between them for masking purposes. That probably helps defeat any of the possible reactions that could occur.

Dennis

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good morning Joss. I don't use any enamels at all. Everything I use is acrylic based. I don't seem to get on well with enamels. I have no idea how enamels react over acrylics either. If you are not sure I would suggest some testing might be in order before risking it on the actual kit. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, same really with enamels just got a couple of washes so I might hold off on them for the tracks just incase I melt them!

All the best

Joss

11 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Good stuff on the build so far.  I have one of these in the stash so will be watching with interest to pick up some tips!  Not sure what state the tracks are in though...

Cheers Bigfoot! Excellent are you going to jump in with it? I think most of the tips will come off everyone else tbh!

If it makes you feel better with the tracks I've discovered the bent bits line up perfectly with the drive sprocket and the idler wheel so it should hid the bend 🤞

All the best

Joss

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Just found your thread Joss.. and guess what?

Snap!

38824958764_7e7fbfe63e_o.jpg

This was my planned build. So I suppose I will do the US Army version for mine. I have a couple of other builds to finish up before I start, so you should well and truly should have the bugs sorted out before I start mine.

:popcorn:

Looking good Ray! You never know you may end up catching me up! :D

I'm not really sure which one I'm going to build but I've found a box of tank drivers from miniart so may do a European machine as opposed to Pacific! We will see!

Regards

Joss

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@PlaStix ... & anyone else. If it helps i use a mix of acrylic and enamel. I brush them on next to eachother with 0 problems. If i spray i usually let them dry, cure, & offgas for at least 24 hours between the two colors. Sometimes i put a clearcoat between them for masking purposes. That probably helps defeat any of the possible reactions that could occur.

Dennis

Hi Dennis thanks for the advice as I said to Stix its mainly only washes so if like you say I go arcylics clear coat then wash I should be fine. I just whether I want to risk killing the tracks :shutup:!

Decisions decisions...

All the best

Joss

• Like 2

I've started work on the bogies,

They are little buggers I think they are meant to work as they have springs and metal tubes.

Here's three of them.

IMG_20180105_201254

There's 17 pieces in these alone before you add the four road wheels and there respective rims as well...

Now the fun part is the figure placement, I've got these guys ATM. I'm going to source some bare heads as I'm not keen on the tanker helmets.

IMG_20180106_231738

That's all for now folks

Joss

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did the tracks have a sprue, maybe you could test on something like that. 

Unfortunately there was a tiny tab on the end and I chucked it away...! I probably just risk it tbh!

Joss

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Joss said:

There's 17 pieces in these alone before you add the four road wheels and there respective rims as well...

Obviously, Dragon didn't think that the 12 individual pieces in their original HVSS units was enough! I'm glad to see that they moulded new sprues for the units and the wheels though.

John.

Nice going Joss, 17 parts does sound a little excessive but I'm sure they've done it for a reason. Those figures look really well molded and will complement your build nicely.

Aye up Joss,

17 parts!!!! :worry: Something to look forward to when I get round to doing mine :nah:

They do look good when done though. The figures look brilliant and will really complement the build when done.

Regards, 

Steve 

Those bogie units do look very impressive even if they do have to be made up from such a large amount of parts. Actually, now I think about it, the Tasca ones I've got have quite a few parts but I haven't counted them! I'm fairly sure there won't be as many as yours.....fingers crossed!:worry:

Great work so far!

Kind regards,

Stix

Do you reckon kit designers compete for parts count?  :mental:

I've just glued a dozen miniscule springs into the UM VVS bogeys, you'll never notice them ever again once it's been painted and weathered.....I'm not advocating QB kits here (far from it) but some rationality as to what needs to be moulded as a seperate part would be good.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 12:19, Bullbasket said:

Obviously, Dragon didn't think that the 12 individual pieces in their original HVSS units was enough! I'm glad to see that they moulded new sprues for the units and the wheels though.

John.

No they like to make it fiddly as possible :D I can imagine the designers I a boardroom laugh  at the idea of making even more complex arrangements for the parts. But there we go... 

Joss

On 07/01/2018 at 16:30, Ozzy said:

Nice going Joss, 17 parts does sound a little excessive but I'm sure they've done it for a reason. Those figures look really well molded and will complement your build nicely.

Cheers Ozzy let's hope so! I've got them all made now so that's the major chore done for the build!

Joss

On 07/01/2018 at 17:44, Hewy said:

Building up really well there joss , i like those figures, is that the nz (kiwi) tank crew set, they're  really well molded anyhoo

Glynn 

Cheers glynn, they are us tanker set from miniart. I've found miniart abit hit and miss as these where nice but some us soldiers at rest I got are so full of flash its not even funny!!

Joss

On 07/01/2018 at 18:16, fatfingers said:

Aye up Joss,

17 parts!!!! :worry: Something to look forward to when I get round to doing mine :nah:

They do look good when done though. The figures look brilliant and will really complement the build when done.

Regards, 

Steve 

Cheers steve

That's what I thought when I read the instructions it's actually more than 17 by the time you include 4 wheels then four rims what are in the bags and then theres 1 brass rod and two springs for each bogie... I found doing one side on night and then the other side else when helped but that's just me!

Just a warning the instructions are wrong btw when it asks you to but the little pin into each arm of the bogie it's goes in the middle hole which has a notch in it just to let you know!

That's I just hope I can paint then to do them justice!

Joss

On 08/01/2018 at 15:04, PlaStix said:

Those bogie units do look very impressive even if they do have to be made up from such a large amount of parts. Actually, now I think about it, the Tasca ones I've got have quite a few parts but I haven't counted them! I'm fairly sure there won't be as many as yours.....fingers crossed!:worry:

Great work so far!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,they are nice when done as they seem movableish. Fingers crossed mate! I found once there done though it's all up hill from there!

Joss

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you reckon kit designers compete for parts count?  :mental:

I've just glued a dozen miniscule springs into the UM VVS bogeys, you'll never notice them ever again once it's been painted and weathered.....I'm not advocating QB kits here (far from it) but some rationality as to what needs to be moulded as a seperate part would be good.

I think so sarge it's crazy isn't it. I mean the extra detail is nice and all but when you can't see it... I imagine in 1:72 it's even more tricky! I think a nice balance between the two is the job enough detail with easy to assemble parts!

Regards

Joss

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Joss said:

Cheers steve

That's what I thought when I read the instructions it's actually more than 17 by the time you include 4 wheels then four rims what are in the bags and then theres 1 brass rod and two springs for each bogie... I found doing one side on night and then the other side else when helped but that's just me!

Just a warning the instructions are wrong btw when it asks you to but the little pin into each arm of the bogie it's goes in the middle hole which has a notch in it just to let you know!

Cheers for the heads up Joss,

Fancy Dragon getting their instructions wrong! Well I never!!! :giggle:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right then I've made some more progress. This is my attempt reasonable sized photoetch with out a proper folder not the happiest with the results but it'll do the job. 

Just got a few more little bits to do the wheels have been cleaned and now all the rubber rims to do. Im sure there's more to do as well :)

The plan is to also have it towing a trailer which I had from my Jeep.

Here's a few pics

IMG_20180111_221455

IMG_20180111_221519

IMG_20180111_221852

The only other thing is I laid the tracks in and they seem to long... Well Ill get the rubber rims in and see what will happen.

Looking forward to getting the paint on this one!

All the best

Joss

• Like 9

Looking good Joss!

Those figures look to be well posed, fitting the form of the tank nicely.

I'm impressed by the tyres being separate. That'll make the painting of them SOOOOOOOO much easier. And yes, once they are on your tracks should fit. It's surprising how much length the tyres will add.

BTW, don't worry about any slightly wonky PE bending, especially not on the fenders. Things get bent and wonky in war.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

Looking good Joss!

Those figures look to be well posed, fitting the form of the tank nicely.

I'm impressed by the tyres being separate. That'll make the painting of them SOOOOOOOO much easier. And yes, once they are on your tracks should fit. It's surprising how much length the tyres will add.

BTW, don't worry about any slightly wonky PE bending, especially not on the fenders. Things get bent and wonky in war.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks badder

The figures do sit nicely just hope I can do them justice when painting them!

It's a good idea I think about the rubbers for this kit they come in there own bag and the only one pour stub on them plus it's on the inside! That's where dragon confuse me they do skmetjing cleaver like that then go and stick massive attachment lugs into small thin straight items with no way of getting the snips in...

Yeah good point I'll keep telling myself that! I think etch just looks nice unpainted and there's no glue around! It's a learning curve though :D

Regards

Joss

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Somehow the HVSS just makes the Sherman look beefier doesn't it.  :coolio:

There is just something about it! I think extra width of the fenders stops it looking as top heavy!

Regards

Joss

• Like 1

Aye up Joss.

Lovely work on the etch and will looh great with a bit of paint on it :yes:

Agree about HVSS Shermans looking more menacing and hefty. Especially when it has a great gonzo 105 in the turret! :fight:

Regards.

Steve