From Failure to Failure

06/24

A few paint mishaps of late for me.

There was some relatively minor paint cracking over the bomb bay area, so I sanded it back to bare plastic, wiped down with alcohol, and resprayed, only to have the same thing happen again. I'm not sure what went wrong...my only guess is I layed down too much paint too wet, easy to do with white:

26414057898_366e1009fb_b.jpg20180215_122321 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I let it dry overnight, then masked and sprayed the black half...and my masking tore off some paint!

39575289484_a8cad1c7a7_h.jpg20180215_130115 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So not the best luck in the world lately. The Bisley's undersides are looking good, however:

40241613932_f7241b4c0a_h.jpg20180215_122357 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm not going to fuss myself overly with the Blenheim, as the gun pack will partially cover the affected area anyway, but I would like to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again.

• Like 10
  • Sad 4

I might have to stop watching your work PC, you are doing me no good at all

From my limited experience the white does not look as if it went on too wet, au contraire mon cher, it looks as if each molecule hit the surface then stopped

Dead

For a decent finish you need to get some 'flow' into the colour, the hardest part is getting it to flow then stop without runnels of painty-thinners all over everything

We could really use young Miggers casting an experienced eye but since he walked elsewhere we have to hope others can step into the breech

Anyway I suggest a slightly wetter coat, sprayed first onto a no loss surface (which of our brethren uses spoons I wonder?) and at different 'wetnesses' to find the happy flow point

Glad you're back PC.

"I got another new airbrush, a Badger Renegade Krome" Ahh that's what I use sir. Pleased to be in such esteemed company. 

Sorry to hear about the masking tape damage; but on a glass slightly almost nearly nearly half full (I'm trying to sell it to you, but as you've gathered by now I'd be on the streets if I relied on sales for a job) the Badger Khrome has fine tips, so is good for touching up little bits and bobs with a low pressure and well thinned mix. A few - non-patronising, well-intentioned-words-of-advice - give it a good clean after every use as being fine they tend to clog up easy, well mine does anyroad. Oh yeh, watch you don't lose the tips to the carpet monster when cleaning, being small and fiddly, easy done. You don't have to ask how I know this.

• Like 1

Nasty PC - I've not had that problem before so can't so much more than sympathise... did you clean off the plastic before paint? I keep forgetting to do that, but I've been lucky so far.

Don't worry

As soon as Edward gets it flowing on landing we'll hear no more of it

Look at the surface of his white areas, barren as any other desert area

Like sand

The black on the leading edge of the other wing shows a smoother, more flowed paint kind of effect which will need no further work

This is no more than a minor handling glitch

go PC go

• Like 1

I realized my airbrush hose has a leak, but, benefits of being a bit of a pack rat, I had a spare that was actually nicer (it has an in-line moisture trap) albeit a bit longer than I like. Once again, keeping tons of stuff lying around in boxes has proved more than worth the matrimonial discord it engenders.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ouc-c-ccc-hhhh--h

CRKKEAKKKKS!

Oh yes, we know THAT feeling

Get well soon, would a pint help?

:drink:

SURE it Would !!

what do you think that CC has done when back home after the multiple extractions ????

First get in his bed :rofl2:

and then :drink::drink::cheers:

then back in his bed....

Mmmmmh Blue Chimay... Ask our Martian...

Sincerely

CC

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 4:05 PM, Courageous said:

I have the same problem.

Ever went to the garage to get something but you've forgotten what the something is when you've got half way there? Just as well as I have a name badge at work...

Stuart...I think.

Hello all,

My daughter used to say that is the fact that someone has erased your action

The little green diamond above your head has been re-setted:rofl2:

You then have to follow another action !!!

Did I mention that my kids are video game addicted:P

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Thanks for the concern gents :) I'm not supposed to drink but have allowed myself a purely medicinal glass of Malbec, or maybe 2. 

Sure Jon !!

There's no doubt about it !

Bill and me are very serious guys, highly concerned by purely medicinal reasons !

:crap::penguin::penguin:

Sincerely

CC

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Oh gosh CC

You seem to have inadvertently clicked on the wrong smiley  :(

Never mind

As this is Friday evening, and Friday night is 'out for a pub meal and a few pints of incahol' night I must remember to take the last of my anti-inflamatories before bed and painkillers time

I'm nipping down to the fridge, should I bring a can back for anyone else?

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Carry on chaps, I've just had a tooth extracted so I'm hors de combat for a while. Pliers, distasteful cracking noises, the works:tooth:

I got feels for ya!

Me, two years ago:

Tooth

Chris

• Sad 2

Wot not blood?

Also an alarming comparison for you.:

• Approx. cost of replacement 3d printed ceramic toothy bits (forgot to ask the dentist if he was using @CedB's erstwhile machine or something more sophisticated) which would have had a less than 50% chance of success - £400. 
  • Cost of extraction (not counting emotional trauma and loss of drinking time) - £12

Sadly this is not my first rodeo as it were, and my lower jaw has a distinct absence of useful molars. So at some point when I win the lottery I'll need to get some implants made.

Meanwhile, If Bill's still at the fridge, I'll take a can, ta!  Also CCs game obsessed child story brings 06/24 minor immediately to mind. I'm pretty sure he's hard wired to his devices...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I feel for you. My last extraction, a couple of years ago, was a broken wisdom tooth. I made sure they turned the gas all the way up, I don't want to hear, see, or feel anything

Then I had an hour's drive home.....

Enjoy the beer, or better still, whiskey.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Teeth!

In any case, here's the new hose set-up. Kind of ungainly, but it works. 

26435833598_b4cec16de0_h.jpg20180216_164830 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I finally masked and painted the turrets, which is always a huge pain:

38498595010_191d489bfb_h.jpg20180216_164836 by Edward IX

That's when I discovered something else. Two somethings. 

1. The two Brownings (Elizabeth Barrett and Robert) don't fit in the turret.

2. The turret interior looks nothing like the real thing.

26435824808_ae0a37c8e9_h.jpg20180216_180909 by Edward IX, on Flickr

file.php?id=14465&sid=91df2eb856d34e4f7d

What to do, what to do. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 2/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, Procopius said:

26414057898_366e1009fb_b.jpg20180215_122321 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm no expert, but it looks like your having some sort of chemical break down during the drying process.  Most likely something is going on with the plastic in that spot or perhaps you are having some sort of incompatibilities between the paint and thinner. Most of the time when this happens to me, it's because of a problem between the paint and primer. Fun story;  I once had to call a fellow and tell him his prized Mustang convertible was gonna be delayed a few weeks. The paint we sprayed had very similar reaction to the primer. Nothing to do but wait for it to completely dry and then start over. He was ...... not pleased. :swear:

Now as far as teeth go, the last one I had pulled was because I got in a alteration with a werewolf in an emergency room parking lot. True story. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I feel for you. My last extraction, a couple of years ago, was a broken wisdom tooth. I made sure they turned the gas all the way up, I don't want to hear, see, or feel anything

Then I had an hour's drive home.....

Enjoy the beer, or better still, whiskey.

Ian

Yes, my drive home last night, blood soaked gauze clamped between what's left of my teeth, was... unpleasant.

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

In any case, here's the new hose set-up. Kind of ungainly, but it works. 

26435833598_b4cec16de0_h.jpg20180216_164830 by Edward IX, on Flickr

<snip>

That's when I discovered something else. Two somethings. 

1. The two Brownings (Elizabeth Barrett and Robert) don't fit in the turret.

2. The turret interior looks nothing like the real thing.

<snip>

file.php?id=14465&sid=91df2eb856d34e4f7d

What to do, what to do. 

What a splendid hose!

I was all set to refute your turret worries, then I realised I was looking at Blenheim turrets, simple things that they are, and that the Bisley really did have this seemingly over-engineered lump.

Could you perhaps steal a turret ring from elsewhere? A big 'un like a Lanc perhaps, or something?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Could you perhaps steal a turret ring from elsewhere? A big 'un like a Lanc perhaps, or something?

Afraid not. The B.X turret was very distinctive, and totally unlike any other turret designed by Bristol or any other manufacturer during the war. (Incidentally, it was apparently a pretty good turret in terms of performance, but two .303s weren't going to dissuade anyone in 1943.)

• Sad 3

It occurs to me that the turret ring is also way, way too tall. Compare these:

Bristol_Blenheim_V.sized.jpg

239ffc86f8731d1a344626d4a5188b0b.jpg

With this photo of a built example:

0214-1000x576.jpg

Off to prise it off the model and sand it down, though honestly, it looks like the problem is that the cut-out just isn't deep enough, and the turret is too tall and too thin. Irritating!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3