From Failure to Failure

06/24

coming along nicely. I like your idea where you seem to have sprayed the canopy first with interior green. I am guessing so inside it shows the right colour. Not seen that done before but what a fantastic idea !

• Like 1

Yep, Not an original thought on my part, and is probably unnecessary since mine will never see a competition table. But it feels right, y'know. 

It it is one of the many, many dodges I learnt from this fine forum. 

• Like 2

On 02/01/2018 at 5:11 PM, Procopius said:

I feel super manly right now. I know more about plumbing than someone, anyone! A p-trap looks like this:

bathroom-p-trap.jpg

It's usually directly under a sink, at least here, and it keeps junk from the sink from going deep, deep into the pipes and blocking things there. It also keeps weird smells from wafting up into your home.

My grandfather was a plumber, and my father deeply enjoys plumbing to this day; he was raised Roman Catholic, but got a healthy dosage of Protestant Work Ethic instead of the guilt. Weird.

Don't know if someone else has said this ,but in GB we call them U Bends .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2018 at 12:34 PM, 06/24 said:

Thanks Iain, as ever my own skills may disappoint but PC will pick up the slack I'm sure.

What does one get in the box for approximately nineteen of Her Majesty's pounds? 

24560399457_f98e48834f_c.jpg107 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38718731884_22bf992ea0_c.jpg107 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hi ,got 2 of the Mk1's on the go ,and bought a secondhand MPM mk4 during the week .

What is the round hole between the top wings for ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Yep, Not an original thought on my part, and is probably unnecessary since mine will never see a competition table. But it feels right, y'know. 

It it is one of the many, many dodges I learnt from this fine forum. 

Its worth doing if you want to try it out and see how far you can go on a kit.

fun to go to town on it and that's the great thing about these forums all the ideas and tips we learn from each other wonderful :)

• Like 4

On 02/01/2018 at 4:50 PM, Learstang said:

No worries, Mate! I don't mind the references to alcohol - some of them are quite amusing, in fact. Believe me, I'm not some crusading Temperance zealot! I built quite a few of my models with the help of Kentucky's finest (Bourbon). I even tried Absinthe once - a bit of a disappointment really, as no green faeries appeared to me, although it did give me one great bl***y buzz!

Best Regards,

Jason

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder .Groan .

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Don't know if someone else has said this ,but in GB we call them U Bends .

Yeah me and Ced both corrected the colonial misnomer, about six pages back, so don't blame you for missing it! I was particularly amused when a manful Canadian? strode to little ole me's rescue and called it something else entirely! Who'd a thunk a U-bend had so many names. 

23 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,got 2 of the Mk1's on the go ,and bought a secondhand MPM mk4 during the week .

hmm, pure supposition on my part, but I think it's intended to replicate internal framework over the (real) wing spars - you can see it on this cross section

9 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder .Groan .

Groan indeed. Normally booze references make me smile, but in my bed-ridden state the idea of absinthe right now gives me the dry boak! 

• Like 1

That's a rather large wing carry-through structure, so I suspect it's some kind of lightening hole added for weight-reduction reasons. Just speculation on my part.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Learstang said:

That's a rather large wing carry-through structure, so I suspect it's some kind of lightening hole added for weight-reduction reasons. Just speculation on my part.

12 hours ago, cocky05d said:

The well in the main spar contains a small hinged door that gives access to the control cable strainers. 

giphy.webp

Today was a busy day of running around with the kiddos, building flatpack furniture (a bookshelf for Winnie) and assembling a tandem stroller the size of the Mauretania. I also cleaned the bathroom, the kitchen (twice) and tidied up the downstairs, earning points redeemable for a number of exciting prizes.

I ALSO crept down into the grotto and got a tiny bit of work done on the kits.

On the Bisley, I added the resin gondola for the rear-firing guns mounted ventrally, a thoroughly useless weapons system, fired by the poor bomb-aimer when he wasn't navigating, bombing, or revising the draft of his resignation letter, and capable only of elevation and depression in the vertical plane, meaning the enemy had to very obligingly attack from dead astern and with a narrow alley extending from about 0° to -20°. While the fit of the kit plastic is indifferent at the very best, it must be said the gondola fit perfectly with no fuss.

25807389948_ed66d227d0_b.jpg20180114_002857 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also resprayed interior green where it'd gotten sanded away, and began the work of filling the (prodigious) wing-root gaps:

38970371944_863de5d4d9_b.jpg20180114_002839 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Fit of the clear parts remains sub-optimal, as can be seen:

27900783439_f828deff58_b.jpg20180114_002946 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'll probably add some filler where I can, but there's only so much a sweet gentle boy like me can do. 

• Like 14

That nose glazing, are you sure it isn't the nose contours on the port side that make the glazing fit look wrong?

I'm not, from looking at these pictures

I would file the fuselage profile back to suit/match the glazing one, it would quickly look world's better

The curve on the port clear bit looks very like the curve of the starboard nose/fuselage shape don't you think

I'd say the mould was a little bit 'untrue'

😠

• Like 1

Feeling a little better today, so chucked some paint on the motors and the exhausts - base coat of satin black on the engines, mix of Revel leather brown, and metalcote steel and gunmetal on the exhausts. Tried to highlight the engines but too soon, so I need to curb my impatience and hope the thinner hasn't ruined the finish. I'm sure it will be recoverable, but we'll have to wait and see.

39686656101_01b9d96336_c.jpgEngines and exhausts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 9

Ah, young Procopius, you call that a prodigious wing gap? Why during my extensive travels I've seen wing gaps that your model could fit into. Were I to attempt this kit (which I might, as I seem to be drawn to difficult kits as a moth is drawn to a flame), I would laugh at such a trifle! And probably ignore it... 'Oh, just some incredibly heavy airbrushing will fill in/hide that yawning crevasse.'

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Being a perfectionist, I fixed a minor typo. Very minor.
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

While @Procopiusand I fuss and fidget, over here @(ex)Sgtrafmanis flying through a Mk I. Well worth a look and a follow, as Iain's turbo charged build puts mine to shame.

You're ALL inspiring (?) me to Make Haste forthwith to my local Hobby Shoppe and there Purchase an Airfix Blenheim. I am resisting the urge though, as I have way too many in the stash now, despite repeated stash pogroms. T'was only on Saturday that I somehow found myself in legal possession of a BE2c, coin of the realm having changed hands. Oh well, it'll make a nice bedmate for the Fokker Eindecker I bought just before New Year...

Pathetic, isn't it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

While @Procopiusand I fuss and fidget, over here @(ex)Sgtrafmanis flying through a Mk I. Well worth a look and a follow, as Iain's turbo charged build puts mine to shame.

Yes, his is far more of a how-to than ours, isn't it? Very lovely work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Yes, his is far more of a how-to than ours, isn't it? Very lovely work.

Tempting to say ours is more of a how-not-to but that wouldn't do justice to your travails with the Bisley.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Tempting to say ours is more of a how-not-to but that wouldn't do justice to your travails with the Bisley.

Oh, I wouldn't deny it! Tony O'Toole seems to be able to crank 'em out faster than Bristols (well, Rootes, mostly, it was subcontracted to them).

20 hours ago, perdu said:

That nose glazing, are you sure it isn't the nose contours on the port side that make the glazing fit look wrong?

I'm not, from looking at these pictures

I would file the fuselage profile back to suit/match the glazing one, it would quickly look world's better

😠

This was good advice, and I have so done.

I was occupied today by assembling a 1/2 scale bed for Winston to sleep in, since our lives weren't awful enough while he was still unable to simply get out of bed and walk over to our rooms to wake us at 4 AM instead of screaming for us. He has some trouble working the doorknob of his room, so tonight he feigned pooping himself to get us to open it, whereupon he informed us he was done in the bed now and ready to go downstairs. He is for sale, serious inquiries only, please. 

I also did a little more work on filling around the wings tonight. next up is probably figuring out the power eggs for both aircraft. I'm almost 100% now on using the surplus Airfix engines and cowls from my donor Blenheim I kit. The Bisley has the little cowl nubs (which are for the cockpit cooling/heating system, I believe) -- which of course I stupidly removed from both sets I had out, but I have more Blenheims to pillage in the ol' stash -- the engines are externally pretty much identical, and the only real difference is that the Bisley got rid of the trumpet intakes for the oil coolers and mounted them in boxlike fairings, one on either wing leading edge. So I think this should be fairly do-able. Now I just need to somehow find the time. 

Tomorrow, or rather today now, I have the day off, thanks to our inglorious tradition of murdering people who tell us things we don't like to hear in this country, but Mrs P doesn't, and so I'll be home alone with the children. Further progress is unlikely, and indeed, I'll likely need a vacation after this "vacation" to recover.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

It could've been a like or a laugh, on reflection, the laugh got it. Its so cathartic to experience the angst of someone who is more threatened by family than I, mine range from 16-22, you've got it all to look forward to, :D sorry. :(

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beware if working from the initial boxing, it wrongly numbers the engine trumpets as part D8, when they should be part E8.

Fortunately I suspected dud info as part D8 is also show as the prop shafts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1