From Failure to Failure

06/24

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

For the People! For the Greater Collective Good! For the Gratuitous use of Exclamation Points and Capitalising Words!

The next Five-Year Plan should increase the Output of Exclamation Points by 25 per cent!!

— Comrade SpaceRanger

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Harley John said:

“Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”    

Sage advice from a man who left his wife for his nurse. 

5 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

"Valar dohairis".

You know, I've never read a lick of Game of Thrones* or seen any of the show. I'm not good with fiction where everyone's gross and corrupt -- I appreciate it's more like real life, but I already have to do that. My tastes pretty much take an abrupt nosedive after the Iliad and the Eumenides. 

Anyhoo, tonight was a double victory: not only did I, after nearly ten years of dating and marriage convince Mrs P to watch an episode of Chuck with me, but I also remembered I left my glasses in the grotto and got some decalling done when I went to retrieve them.

25998860197_f5acd4333d_h.jpg20180317_224214 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Bisley is all decalled up. Next...dullcoat! 

The Blenheim I is pulling a reverse King Arthur in that it will lie uncompleted until what is most needed (the resin nacelles) arrive, but that still leaves me able to complete about 99% of the kit until then. 

40162771244_f3e5bb2f6e_h.jpg20180317_230658 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The Owl Decals I'm using are kinda classic Czech decals in that they're tricky. The N in the portside NG-R is provided as a two-part N and a one-part N, and since the bottom half of the N went tits up on me, I had to press the full N into service after doing a little sawing-the-lady-in-half type magic trick. It'll likely need some support from cut-up bits of other decals on the sheet later. 

Anyway, that's all I accomplished today, aside from sawing the resin hedgehog flame dampeners off their blocks for the Bisley. I'll figure out how they fit on later. 

And since I'm on a Chuck kick and you're a captive audience (I'm trusting you'll avoid the postmodern horror of what Julia Kristeva called "abjection", the sanity-sandblasting realization that any injunction can be disobeyed and all human rules are merely artificial constructs enforced by consent that could be withdrawn at any time, leading to anarchy, and will therefore actually watch the thing), here's one of my favourite clips from the pilot, which we saw tonight. It's not really a spoiler (although I'm not a big believer in spoiler warnings; time is an ever-flowing river, and one can never step into the same river twice; both you and the river are different the second go-round), even though it's the stinger; the CIA's Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski), who throughout the pilot has seemed to be more empathetic and kindly than the NSA's Major Casey (Adam Baldwin), is revealed to be equally as cold-blooded and as capable of violence through a snippet of video from the National Intelligence Database. Strahovski is obviously very pretty, but the show, which sometimes had indifferent writing, many, many continuity failures of the sort you'd more expect to see in a pre-internet-age show of the eighties, and the whole panoply of problems you'd expect from being a network TV show in the late 2000s lived and died on the chemistry between her and the lead actor, Zachary Levi. Levi's not too bad himself, but Strahovski's ability to merely hint at the emotions playing out behind her sphinxlike expression sustained much of the show's dramatic tension and emotional energy through the first two seasons and midway into the third. Anyway, Mrs P didn't hate it. 

* Not technically true. My baby sister KR (essentially my slightly improved but much meaner -- and this is not just my opinion -- clone) and I once read a sample chapter from one of the books by GRRM where baby wolves suckled at their dead mother, and as Wilde remarked of the death of Little Nell, one would have had to have a heart of stone to partake of it without laughing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Looking good Edward; are the Owl decals for John Cunningham's Blenheim I?

They are, Stewforth! I have DK Decals for his Boof I as well, which at my current rate I should get to in approximately 2945.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

They are, Stewforth! I have DK Decals for his Boof I as well, which at my current rate I should get to in approximately 2945.

I look forward to your build thread :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work on the decalling PC, especially that tricky 'N' - good job :)

Great post, as usual; you've encouraged me to watch 'Chuck' while I'm waiting for the last series of GoT... what ARE they doing, keeping us waiting? Don't they know Winter's coming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

You know, I've never read a lick of Game of Thrones* or seen any of the show. I'm not good with fiction where everyone's gross and corrupt -- I appreciate it's more like real life, but I already have to do that. My tastes pretty much take an abrupt nosedive after the Iliad and the Eumenides. 

Granted, GoT is (excessively) graphic; but there's a good measure of violence in ancient literature, including the Iliad.  The Tanakh/Old Testament is replete with it, as is some Chinese literature.

But still; can't fault your taste! 

• Like 1

Just now, Chillidragon said:

Granted, GoT is (excessively) graphic; but there's a good measure of violence in ancient literature, including the Iliad.  The Tanakh/Old Testament is replete with it, as is some Chinese literature.

But still; can't fault your taste! 

Oh yes, I loved reading the Old Testament as a lad. Kings and Chronicles had all those battles, not like the New, where the apostles collectively account for one ear, subsequently healed.

• Like 4

PC, hope the birthday present arrived. Both Bisley and Blenheim are looking splendid - mine received a flat coat today but varnish drying makes for an even more dull image than paint drying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh yes, I loved reading the Old Testament as a lad. Kings and Chronicles had all those battles, not like the New, where the apostles collectively account for one ear, subsequently healed.

If you loved the Old Testament you should try reading the Maccabees. Brilliant books about the Jewish rebel warriors. Quite violent as well. 

Sincerely, another Yankee Friend

Nick

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

PC, hope the birthday present arrived. Both Bisley and Blenheim are looking splendid - mine received a flat coat today but varnish drying makes for an even more dull image than paint drying.

It did, thank you! I meant to mention it earlier, but forgot completely, mea culpa. Some of the photographs in there are quite evocative, not to say dangerous for a modeller.

7 minutes ago, nicklauspaul said:

If you loved the Old Testament you should try reading the Maccabees. Brilliant books about the Jewish rebel warriors. Quite violent as well. 

You know, I've never read it! It isn't in my trusty old Dixon, or either of the other translations I have.

6 minutes ago, nicklauspaul said:

another Yankee Friend

They're coming out of the woodwork!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Possibly the first occasion in which Kristeva has ever been referenced in proximity to the Bristol Blenheim...:D

It's an infinite universe, so it was bound to happen, but I'm glad I got there first.

• Like 2

Ugh, I'm still puttering along. Can't believe I started this three months ago. Life has sucked the marrow from these bones.

Finished decalling the Blenheim I; just waiting on the resin engines and cowls -- the latter inbound from fair Poland, so it may be a tiny little wait. 

40995274001_6edc0cccda_h.jpg20180324_165227 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40285971954_115d6b2850_h.jpg20180324_165229 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The Owl Decals had a misprint that omitted the central bar of the 8 in the aircraft serial number, so that it looked like 0, but I managed to cut up the serials for the second decal option and bodge up a fix.

39185838410_368c2bd2a5_h.jpg20180324_165215 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then I really half-cheeked attaching the hedgehog exhausts to the Bisley:

40995272551_e2a8ea03b8_h.jpg20180324_165916 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40285971234_dacfb4cbaf_h.jpg20180324_165917 by Edward IX, on Flickr

This is going to be one of those "perfect is the enemy of the barely adequate" jobbies, I think.

• Like 13

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, nicklauspaul said:

If you loved the Old Testament you should try reading the Maccabees.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, nicklauspaul said:

It’s in the Apocrypha! A lovely old book full of wack Jewish writings. 

The Old Testament Apocrypha are also known as the Deuterocanonical Books, included in the Latin Vulgate Bible and referred to as a secondary authority by the Roman Catholic Church.  A similar set can be found in the Septuagint, the Greek translation used by the Eastern Orthodox tradition.  As far as I am aware, no Protestant or Free Church accepts these additional books as at all canonical, though I was taught that it was theoretically required that Bibles to be read in Anglican Churches should contain them.  I know that RC translations such as the Douay and New Jerusalem have them, as do some editions of the Revised Standard Version (as does my copy).  I've never seen a King James or New International Bible with them, though, nor any Welsh translation. I can't speak for other languages.  I've never seen editions of the original language Tanakh (Hebrew, with Aramaic passages) including them either.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chillidragon said:

The Old Testament Apocrypha are also known as the Deuterocanonical Books, included in the Latin Vulgate Bible and referred to as a secondary authority by the Roman Catholic Church.  A similar set can be found in the Septuagint, the Greek translation used by the Eastern Orthodox tradition.  As far as I am aware, no Protestant or Free Church accepts these additional books as at all canonical, though I was taught that it was theoretically required that Bibles to be read in Anglican Churches should contain them.  I know that RC translations such as the Douay and New Jerusalem have them, as do some editions of the Revised Standard Version (as does my copy).  I've never seen a King James or New International Bible with them, though, nor any Welsh translation. I can't speak for other languages.  I've never seen editions of the original language Tanakh (Hebrew, with Aramaic passages) including them either.

We Southern Baptists certainly never heard of them when I was growing up; anything other than the King James Version was suspect!

• Confused 1

So the resin SBS engines arrived. They proved pleasantly easy to assemble, despite looking rather daunting.

41041079811_b18b36e813_h.jpg20180326_215234 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40999316392_009d76ed00_h.jpg20180326_215222 by Edward IX, on Flickr

27169971138_86ba2f29fc_h.jpg20180326_220722 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Easy peasy. Only one cylinder ended up on the floor, and I managed to find it without even swearing (because I'm very tired and I was wearing a mask and didn't want hot spittle bouncing around all over the place). The fit of the cylinders, by the way, was excellent.

The little induction pipes(?) are also supplied, though no intake trumpets, so you either need to use the kit ones or supply your own. I haven't chanced them yet, as I intend to paint them separate, adjudging them to be a different colour than the rest of the engine.

40999315342_f398473de3_h.jpg20180326_220711 by Edward IX, on Flickr

We'll see how I feel about SBS once the cowls arrive from Poland.

EDIT: I should note, SBS also wants you to use some 0.4mm wire, so I need to secure some.

I'm exhausted right now, having run 5K today (dismal time, 28 minutes, not including a three minute pause near the end), and I'm on a calorie-limited diet because I'm disgustingly fat right now and tired of being ambushed by the fat person in my bathroom mirror first thing every morning. My mood might not also be the best right now. 

• Like 14

I'll be interested to see how those engines look when they are done - and how much will be visible when they are in the cowlings.

I had a quick ebay search for 04.mm wire (I went for copper wire for ease of usage, since I don't imagine that providing structural strength is a requirement in this case) and it does seem easy and comparatively cheap to get hold of...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1