From Failure to Failure

06/24

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

The Blenheim looks really nice, Jonners. Love the contrast between the sharply-delineated camo and the fuzzy Night.

Thank goodness someone noticed! I was hoping the night would look like a squadron level later addition.

• Like 5

I just have to ask...Are we having fun yet? Just seemed about the right time to ask  after one

gets a question like....did you happen to check the prop arc by the way?

Splendid bits of comedy I must say...oh and the modeling is excellent too!

All the Best!

Don

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hello Dears, Sorry Ced, Can't resist....

Very nice saving on the turret, glad about the propellers !

Nice painting Jon, I really like these différents effects on field made painting !

always interesting !

Can't wait to see the 4 Bristol finished !!

Very nice thread, I really enjoy !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DJJunis said:

I just have to ask...Are we having fun yet? Just seemed about the right time to ask  after one

gets a question like....did you happen to check the prop arc by the way?

It's really almost criminal how much MPM got away with on the kit, but I'm choosing to be an optimist for the first and only time in my life and take it as am indicator of how lucky I am to have re-entered the hobby in 2011, rather than even a few years earlier, when this would have been the pinnacle of limited run kits available to me. That said, I'm really looking forward to the Arma Hobby Fokker E.V next, which looks like a much easier build.

In any case, Mrs P has returned from Michigan with our progeny and (gulp) the mother-in-law. Tonight Winston informed me he didn't want to wear his pajama shirt, because there was a ghost in it. He then tried the same trick for his diaper, and it was then I learned that Mrs P had succeeded so well in potty training him during his weeklong sojourn than he now regards having to wear a diaper as a monstrous insult and a crushing humiliation. (He also apparently likes to "joke" about pooping in his pants to Mrs P, because he's a little boy. Ho-ho-ho.) Grant is much the same, still a boring, laid-back baby, but shows alarming signs of crawling soon. 

Anyway, after getting them all bustled off to bed, I crept down to the grotto around 11ish and did a little work, mostly masking undersurfaces, but then I figured what the hell, and sprayed the first upper surface colour.

25481029587_2f51b56f61_h.jpg2018-02-19_12-16-51 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Technically I should still be faffing about with the turrets but they frustrate me a bit (and I think I might need to order some brass .303 barrels for the Bisley, god help me), and since they'll go on last ANYway, I figured why not do something that would look like substantive progress? 

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Welcome home Clan Procopius, splendidly earthy Mk I mate. I’m with Stew, sometimes we need a boost rather than the grinding challenge!

I think the Grinding Challenge is one of those things that happened at the college parties I wasn't invited to attend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Welcome home, Clan Procopius (not the M-in-L, obviously, but she should help some eh?)

Nice top coats PC, very nice.

But wait! What are those two up to? Up to no good by the looks of it! Stop them immediately - a bucket of water apparently works.

That is, of course, unless you're looking forward to the sound of little Bristols around the house :coat:

• Haha 2

We got the kids down early this evening, and Mrs P and her mother watched something about the FBI and serial killers in the late 1970s-early 1980s on Netflix (I swing in to dazzle them with my knowledge of contemporary serial killers, music, and historical trends, but was met with an insultingly indifferent reception), so I puttered on down to the grotto to get a little something done. 

First I masked the Bisley with blue-tac and tape, then sprayed some Dark Earth (had I been more efficient, this would have been done at the same time as spraying the Blenheim I's base coat, but you know, I've got a lot going on). 

39662631174_f55bfea053_h.jpg20180219_221816 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then the best or second-best part of modelling, eagerly pulling away the masking to see how badly we've done:

39662629754_5119ff5181_h.jpg20180219_222429 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Not too shabby!

Some slight paint creep, however.

39476561075_df08c0a599_h.jpg20180219_222442 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I did some preliminary repair work with Gamsol, which is an odorless enamel thinner over here that one can buy at craft stores.

26502390048_f21e71cc7a_h.jpg2018-02-19_11-23-55 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Further correction will have to wait until we unmask the clear parts, as this will be remasked for the gloss coat and dull coat, because I'm not a complete idiot.

Next I masked the Blenheim using a commercially-available camo masking set, from AML, I think.

25501315737_99e6d7a632_h.jpg20180219_225456 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And sprayed the Dark Green:

26502258938_5ddc9260ca_h.jpg20180219_231159 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Perils of overpolishing the primer coat to a high sheen:

38563143830_4898431aa4_h.jpg20180219_231146 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some paint lifted with the mask. Should be a reasonably easy fix. 

Wow, that seems like not too much accomplished for about two hours and fifteen minutes work, geeze. Anyway, back into the office tomorrow, sigh. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was going to say, I prefer using the blu-tac and tape, I think, it tends to leave less in the way of ridges at the edges of the masking. Carry on.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

We got the kids down early this evening, and Mrs P and her mother watched something about the FBI and serial killers in the late 1970s-early 1980s on Netflix (I swing in to dazzle them with my knowledge of contemporary serial killers, music, and historical trends, but was met with an insultingly indifferent reception), so I puttered on down to the grotto to get a little something done. 

Didn't fancy sitting in front of the TV with your two favourite women then? :rofl2: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very nice PC, very nice indeed :)

Bad luck on the couple of dings - I'm sure you'll get them sorted with ease.

Good to see a couple of masking techniques compared - my current obsession. I take your point about paint build up but isn't this dependant on 'the angle of the dangle' when you're spraying and whether you want a 'hard edge' or not? Paul Budzik covers this in his great video here - good tips.

Sorry, told you I was a bit obsessed!

Lovely pair, nice and smooth :wicked:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Good to see a couple of masking techniques compared - my current obsession. I take your point about paint build up but isn't this dependant on 'the angle of the dangle' when you're spraying and whether you want a 'hard edge' or not? Paul Budzik covers this in his great video here - good tips.

I'm the sort of workman who prefers to blame his tools, but I'll give this a watch and try not to be lulled into slumber by Dr Budzik's sonorous voice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Didn't fancy sitting in front of the TV with your two favourite women then? :rofl2: 

Mrs P's mother is like her, but more so, and without seven years of painstakingly applied passive aggressiveness on my part to tone down some of her less desirable traits. 

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Must buy some real blu tack, the one I tried was a complete mess !

Strictly speaking, I used 3M poster putty, which is what's sold in these parts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

One of Mrs P's birds died today*, and so all life in our home came to a halt; coupled with the fact that her idiot mother spent all day yammering about the "special bond mothers have with their daughters**", Mrs P is now sad we don't have any girls and obsessing over our paltry two children with their totally wrong genitals. 

Today hasn't been great.

* Five to go.

** Mrs P once threw an iPhone at her mother's head while her mother was driving because her mother decided the GPS was lying and they weren't really going to Ohio.*** I was there, trapped in a tiny glass and steel prison with these other two demented inmates.

*** Mrs P's mother frequently argues with GPS systems. She is always wrong. She also insists on driving if she's in the car, presumably because she has latent homicidal tendencies. She is the second worst driver I know, after my sister who is legally blind in one eye and extremely frightened by parallel parking. While I'm on a roll, she's terrible at washing dishes, as bad as Winston, who's two, and I have to go back and rewash everything she's washed when she "helps".

• Like 1
  • Haha 15
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

* Five to go.

Was it wrong that I sniggered at that? I imagined a small scoreboard secreted somewhere in Der Grotto, which is used to record sinister Procopian progress on the elimination of 'the problem'.

However, given my knowledge of the female part of the species, I fear that the deceased avian pest will be replaced in due course, possibly by two of the feathered nitwits.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Was it wrong that I sniggered at that? I imagined a small scoreboard secreted somewhere in Der Grotto, which is used to record sinister Procopian progress on the elimination of 'the problem'.

However, given my knowledge of the female part of the species, I fear that the deceased avian pest will be replaced in due course, possibly by two of the feathered nitwits.

It’s an Avian Stash...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

Was it wrong that I sniggered at that?

I hope not, otherwise we're both in trouble.

PC I always find your threads a great read - 'dry sense of humour' just doesn't cut it... you should write for a living :D

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Mrs P is now sad we don't have any girls and obsessing over our paltry two children with their totally wrong genitals.

While we're counting genitals... ... ... sorry, got distracted, I recommend a strong (manly) stance. Speaking as a man (two, phew!) in a house full of females (including the dog) I'm envious of your testosterone laden environment.

IMHO (and with gross generalisation) men find 'their place' pretty quickly, especially after a few wrestles. Females have a continuous battle confrontation 'we're just discussing things' with no resolution.

Stay a male household, save the iPhone*!

* Other projectiles are available.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1