From Failure to Failure

06/24

Nice update PC - those seams have been suitably banished.

Nice new airbrush, nice finish with it too.

Nice.

Some consolation for all the snow shovelling :)

Edward can you advise me please, why are you painting the cooling gill flaps as metallic?

I thought these are just plain metal gills in body paint, not especially subjected to exhaust temperatures, as admirably demonstrated on the yellow example on the previous page

Only the exhaust pipes and the collector rings should be in " burnt, blooming hot metal look "

All the flaps do is allow hot air to get out of the engine area as I understand it

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

International commerce amazes me, I think when I looked the Badger was more expensive than the H&S over here. 

Edit: Just Googled and they’re the same price 

I think Edward and I both jumped in to take advantage of the Badger man's possibly beer-fuelled idea of celebrating his 54th birthday by offering Facebook users any of his airbrushes for $54 within a 24 hour window. I too decided to get myself a Renegade Krome for $54. Apparently they had some 7000 orders and Badger *may* be regretting the gesture but, they've proven themselves a stand-up company, they've asked for patience and are explaining their manufacturing process, manhour norms, production capacity etc. Mine hasn't arrived yet but I wouldn't have had a chance to use it yet even if it had so no great shakes. And, it's a Renegade Krome for $54+shipping so I couldn't bring myself to feel unhappy about it. As a business user, I kinda whince at the thought of what he's gone and done. As a git though, I can't not see the comedy value of waking up to 7000 orders for mostly high-end models all at $54 each :rage::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You tell 'im P. :laugh:

It aint quite like that :(

I am looking at this from a position of never seeing Bristle engines with burnt gills, only the collector ring and pipe areas, but believe me as old fashioned aeroplanes ( :) ) re-enter my sphere of vague interest I'd like to get any of mine right

So we need to know

• Like 2

1 minute ago, perdu said:

It aint quite like that :(

I am looking at this from a position of never seeing Bristle engines with burnt gills, only the collector ring and pipe areas, but believe me as old fashioned aeroplanes ( :) ) re-enter my sphere of vague interest I'd like to get any of mine right

So we need to know

You're right Bill, they're only subjected to warm air carrying away reject heat from the engines and generally speaking (I deliberately avoid specifics here because Edward might have seen something different) they'd just be painted with everything else.

• Thanks 1

I think the gills are an omission m’learned colleague will address. Even Homer nods occasionally. It’s one of those odd things, because I was convinced I would have to go back and repaint mine because I hadn’t masked them off.

• Like 1

Most photos show them painted so I think you're ok Jon

APN0603.jpg

p_blenheim2.jpg

bristol-blenheim-iv-1.jpg

There are some which show different tones (left and right in this case) but that could be explained as simply as being replacement parts taken from another aircraft

Blenheim-4.jpg

• Like 5

Cheers Jamie, I am always of an enquiring nature

I seem to, kinda? recall him doing this to the earlier Bristol engines and I meant to draw attention to it then before my flea sized memory got side tracked

Squirrel anyone?

I have to write anything important down now since my 'memory' no longer deserves the title

I am not using it as an excuse but I often find myself reading 'in here' when I meant to be doing some Gannet or Buckynear , I simply forget what I started to do at times

:(

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I seem to, kinda? recall him doing this to the earlier Bristol engines and I meant to draw attention to it then before my flea sized memory got side tracked

Squirrel anyone?

I have to write anything important down now since my 'memory' no longer deserves the title

I am not using it as an excuse but I often find myself reading 'in here' when I meant to be doing some Gannet or Buckynear , I simply forget what I started to do at times

I have the same problem.

Ever went to the garage to get something but you've forgotten what the something is when you've got half way there? Just as well as I have a name badge at work...

Stuart...I think.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

International commerce amazes me, I think when I looked the Badger was more expensive than the H&S over here. 

Edit: Just Googled and they’re the same price 

Huh! Overe here it's $100 on Amazon with an 0.2 and 0.3 needle. The 2-in-1 H&S is $308. Funny old world.

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Edward can you advise me please, why are you painting the cooling gill flaps as metallic?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

The little s*d's eating away at the feeding hole on my bird seed feeder, why am I not allowed to bang off at him with a trusty Brown Bess, I wonder?

A Baker Rifle would be more accurate.

• Like 5

39370455645_e9c4517c31_c.jpgUnflattering close up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I needed to fill in the night band over the fuselage, which I had managed to paint too narrow before (leaving a bare patch between the night and the camo colours). That seemed to go ok and I must have had a brave pill as I free handed the edge with the new AB! Unfortunately when I went to correct a few marks on the underside, the brush started blobbing and spattering. Turns out I had inadvertently transferred a "skin" of dried pain into the cup, which had blocked the flow. It's left a bleb on one wing but I'm hopeful I can polish it out gently. And lesson learned, use a fresh mix and pipettes for transferring paint. Fell off that learning curve again :) But learning and testing my learning all the time :)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I have seen representations of Handley-Page Hampdens with the cooling gills left in natural metal.

I don't know if that was an actual 'thing' or just something copied from one model to another...

I've seen some photos that seem to suggest bare metal cooling gills, or gills with the paint worn away -- on the Wellington I just did, they were clearly a different colour than the underside or uppersurface, for instance. But I can't find any photos of a Blenheim with bare metal ones, so here we go.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Air rifle Bill, that's the way to get 'em!

Oh, and definitely no metallic cooling gills, if they are bare metal methinks it would only be because of unpainted replacements.

Ian

4 hours ago, perdu said:

The little s*d's eating away at the feeding hole on my bird seed feeder, why am I not allowed to bang off at him with a trusty Brown Bess, I wonder?

I thought Humbrol had discontinued that color ages ago.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Equally unavailable I fear...

Brown Bess was always what we kids thought Davy Crockett would use, my mate had the Davy Crockett musket

And the coonskin cap, lucky git

:(

I had the musket, the coonskin cap, and the lunchbox with matching thermos!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Regarding the colour of the cooling gills, there are a lot of pictures out there that show a lot of Bristol-powered aircraft with what appears to be bare-metal gills. Though I've not noticed it on Mercury-powered Blenheims, a lot of Peuasus and Hercules-powered planes have the bare gills.

Chris