From Failure to Failure

06/24

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Bristol must have had a flaming massive ugly stick in its design dept. The Blenheim Mk I is pleasant enough in a functional way, by the time the IV came along, the port nose & starboard nose teams appeared to be taking it in turns to use the ugly stick on each others efforts, which must have become an absolute frenzy of ugly stick assaults by the time the Bisley emerged. Great God, what were they thinking?  I'm sure you'll make it look as good as it is humanly possible though PC, great efforts so far.

Steve.

Bite your tongue, blasphemer! If anything, the Bisley is the best-looking Blenheim, let down mainly by being slower than a Gloster Gauntlet. I've always thought the Mark I Blenheim was hideous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

the Bisley is the best-looking Blenheim, 

No accounting for taste I guess. :P

I'd agree right up to the front couple of metres which look as if they resulted from a scrunched doodle from the crafting office waste bin.  None of them were much good, typically British of the day, underpowered heaps designed by accountants. A couple of Pegasus might have made a warplane of them & given their crews a fighting chance. Not withstanding, I've several in stock & will build them with reverence & respect for the brave men that flew them. Zealot. :)

Steve.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

None of them were much good, typically British of the day, underpowered heaps designed by accountants.

[Pedant mode on] Well, not by 1939, perhaps, but in 1935, the Blenheim was neither designed with an eye on cost, nor was it underpowered. When the first Blenheims were entering service, the Bf 110 was still undergoing trials, and it wasn't until 1939 that the Bf 110 had engines that enabled it to exceed 270 MPH and thus stand a reasonable chance of catching a Blenheim. The real problem is that the poor Blenheim was built too early at a time when front-line combat aeroplanes rarely, even with improvements, had useful lives at the sharp end of more than five years. [Pedant mode off]

• Like 11

By the time of the Bisley, they should have stuck a couple of 1200hp P&W R-1830's on it, a'la Beaufort. Then they might have had a somewhat more useful light bomber/attack aircraft.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 4

Apologies for lack of update, I could claim I'm letting the paint fully dry before masking, (which would bear at least some nod to the truth), that I've been distracted by the pretty little Comet, (which would also be partially true) but also because I seem to have goosed the cheapo airbrush. Possibly. Possibly not, but I would welcome the advice of the AB experten and indeed everyone.

While spraying the black witness coat on the Comet, paint flow began to bung up. I figured it was partly because I was using Humbrol which is possibly less finely milled pigment than the Colourcoats, and partly just the brush needed a good clean, more than just a blast through with clean white spirit.

I dismantled the AB, used the tiny pipe cleaners to remove a load of crud, and reassembled. Unfortunately I still don't have paint flow. There's airflow, but the thinners I put in to test with is bubbling in the cup. What have I done wrong? There's clearly back pressure happening, I've tried adjusting the needle but to no avail. Thoughts, suggestions, laughter, etc. gratefully received. Before it packed in I did manage to do the topsides of the Comet so I'll pop a photo on the gentlemanly pursuit thread.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Apologies for lack of update, I could claim I'm letting the paint fully dry before masking, (which would bear at least some nod to the truth), that I've been distracted by the pretty little Comet, (which would also be partially true) but also because I seem to have goosed the cheapo airbrush. Possibly. Possibly not, but I would welcome the advice of the AB experten and indeed everyone.

While spraying the black witness coat on the Comet, paint flow began to bung up. I figured it was partly because I was using Humbrol which is possibly less finely milled pigment than the Colourcoats, and partly just the brush needed a good clean, more than just a blast through with clean white spirit.

I dismantled the AB, used the tiny pipe cleaners to remove a load of crud, and reassembled. Unfortunately I still don't have paint flow. There's airflow, but the thinners I put in to test with is bubbling in the cup. What have I done wrong? There's clearly back pressure happening, I've tried adjusting the needle but to no avail. Thoughts, suggestions, laughter, etc. gratefully received. Before it packed in I did manage to do the topsides of the Comet so I'll pop a photo on the gentlemanly pursuit thread.

Sounds like some residue that you may have loosened when cleaning has found it's way down the airbrush. I suspect it's a case of "rinse and repeat" until it's spotless!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found that bubbling up inside the paint cup is down to a 'not tightly screwed in' nozzle

Air is sitting in the outer part of the brush when the trigger is depressed ( depressed, does that have connotations huh?) and passes out of the brush and as you pull back the trigger the needle allows paint to join the airstream

What happens is that the pressurised air forces its way back into the paint cup because of an untightened nozzle seal

I've seen advice to put a dab of beeswax onto the threaded piece of the little conical nozzle which will stop leaking inside the cup

I just pinch mine up really tightly with that little flat spanner

😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

I have found that bubbling up inside the paint cup is down to a 'not tightly screwed in' nozzle

Air is sitting in the outer part of the brush when the trigger is depressed ( depressed, does that have connotations huh?) and passes out of the brush and as you pull back the trigger the needle allows paint to join the airstream

What happens is that the pressurised air forces its way back into the paint cup because of an untightened nozzle seal

I've seen advice to put a dab of beeswax onto the threaded piece of the little conical nozzle which will stop leaking inside the cup

😇

I’ve used Vaseline to good effect.

ON THE AIRBRUSH!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

14 minutes ago, tonyh said:

I’ve used Vaseline to good effect.

48 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

I suspect it's a case of "rinse and repeat" until it's spotless!

Gentlemen

I just let some lacquer thinner soak in the colour cup for a spell, then blast it through the brush at 30 PSI or so. Usually works. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yes I might try a soak and blast with cellulose thinner. But that might have to wait until after the weekend of being a dutiful son, I have to travel down south so progress will pause after tomorrow night I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Jon I bought a jewellers loupe after watching Paul clean my airbrush at a show - it let's you see what's blocking the nozzle, if anything.

Hopefully not pipe cleaner? I bought lots of things to clean my AB, including some dental paper points (#30 for 0.2, #60 for 0.4mm) DO NOT watch the video but I found one of those really sharp things good for a quick ream out. I got mine in this set :)

• Like 2

What kind of AB is it? This happened to one of my cheap Brushes that came with my compressor. It has rubber o rings in the nozzle and I think they wore out. The wax, vas seal idea might work, I wish I’d have tried that. Watch out when and if you tighten the nozzle end up, mine snapped off as I applied too much Pressure.

great progress by the way. :clap:

John.

• Like 2

Airbrushes are a bit fiddly to work with, but these days I couldn't paint my models without one. The very idea of painting something bigger than a 1/72nd scale instrument panel with an actual brush gives me the willies. One thing I do is to just let the business end of the airbrush soak in thinner when I'm not using it. I'm sure there's something terribly wrong about doing that, but it does cut down on having to strip it down and clean it after every time I use it (which I had to do when using water-based acrylics, infernal things! - acrylics, not the airbrush). Great work on the Blenheims as always, gentlemen! I do feel my will weakening re buying one, probably the short-nose version (Blenheim I - Finnish finish anyone?). I have to agree with Steve that the Blenheim I is the best-looking one of the lot (sorry, PC), but I also have a soft-spot in my head heart for the Bisley, with that nose that looks like each half was designed by blokes who had no idea what the other was doing.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional pearls of wisdom added for the enjoyment of all.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Learstang said:

One thing I do is to just let the business end of the airbrush soak in thinner when I'm not using it.

I do similarly.

Once finished spraying, a quick blast through with clean IPA then disconnect the airline, pull the brush apart and it all lays in a bath of turps.

When I want to spray, just put back together and a quick spray through with IPA (again) and all ready to go. No opportunity for the paint particles to dry inside. Well, that's the theory!

• Like 1

I've never had problems with acrylics, my airbrush always seems to block up using enanels or lacquers! I HATE spraying anything other than acrylics!

Oh, and I'm a huge Blenheim Mk1 fan, must be something to do with Commando comics....

The 1F night fighter is in my stash....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

That's one of the reasons I love my Badger 150, it's more like one of those old tractors than a sports car but it's difficult to break one and generally ridiculously easy to maintain (though I do clean it after every spraying session and I too leave the nozzle assembly soaking in a jar of cellulose thinners between uses).

Another vote for the Blenheim Mk.I here, though I do like the Mk.IV too; the Bisley... well it's a poor attempt at a dog's breakfast; they should have given up at IV :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

That's my airbrush of choice also, Stew, the good old Badger 150. It's something like an AK-47 - leave it buried in sand for 10 years, dig it out, clean it up a bit, and it shoots first time.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I've never had problems with acrylics, my airbrush always seems to block up using enanels or lacquers! I HATE spraying anything other than acrylics!

Oh, and I'm a huge Blenheim Mk1 fan, must be something to do with Commando comics....

The 1F night fighter is in my stash....

Ian

Curiously I fell the exact opposite way. It's why I had a ~12 year stop in modelling actually. Between airbrush problems and self-stripping acrylic paints it put me off for a long time.

Anyway though, just to follow on from Stew and Learstang, I'm another Badger 150 user here. It's idiot proof and so easy to take apart and put together. Also everything is metal save for the PTFE needle bearing and regulator so you really don't need to be quivering in fear over breaking it every time you take it apart - not that it often needs it.

Unlike Stew I'm a lazy git. Mine gets a quite blast through with thinners after every use. Every 3 to 6 uses it might start to feel a bit tight on the trigger so I'll trouble myself to unscrew the handle and remove the needle for a quick wipe with a thinners-wetted paper towel then it goes back in. Every few months it gets a more thorough break down, a good soak and a clean out.

I had been thinking mine was getting a bit old and knackered as the trigger was becoming rough and sticky to use. Just before ordering a replacement assembly for the needle/trigger spring I thought I'd try filling the spring thingie with furniture wax which I've never done in the circa 25 years I've had it. It is now as-new again. Even the needle is at least a decade old.

It's a wonderful bit of kit and with the fine nozzle it's capable of doing the vast majority of what the vast majority of modellers are ever going to need. I sometimes think some modellers are being soft, weak, limp-wristed drama queens with all their airbrush woes and tales of hassle in clean-up etc. Maybe it's just because the one I happened to buy when I started airbrushing is so hassle free I simply struggle to relate to all the moaning about the grind of maintaining and cleaning up other kinds of airbrush.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I simply struggle to relate to all the moaning about the grind of maintaining and cleaning up other kinds of airbrush.

I hear ya Jamie. I own an Iwata HP-C and basically treat it the same way that you treat your Badger 150. A couple of times a year it gets stripped down and pampered, but mostly, it's a quick flush and back into the holder on the laundry sink. I also own a Paasche H (which is about as complicated as a hammer is) which gets very much worse treatment.

They both just keep on tanking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should point out any woe I have currently is (probably) down to user error, the simple cheapo brush and enamels has been a revelation. Any previous attempt have been acrylics and I think that why I struggled.

• Like 1

I am beginning to consider returning to my Paasche F1 for some of the jobs I'm doing, maybe upping the pressure on the fridge motor compressor to regain lost whoomph

I agree though that there is a bit too much drama queening going on

Tools shouldn't need pampering to do a task and if they do, well maybe they aren't worth persevering with

😕

• Like 1