From Failure to Failure

06/24

50 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Were you ever tempted to walk in and say "Winston, I am your father"? If not, opportunity lost I fear.

There's time yet, time yet. Wait until the wee lad has absorbed the whole canon, then hit him with it. 06/24 minor positively loathes me saying it to him :lalala:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

PC, all you need is some cheesy helmet with that mask and you could have your own Sci-Fi Channel (or whatever it's called now) show. Your stash is absolutely insane marvellous! You do realise that at some point your children are going to want to make a fort out of 'Daddy's toys'.

Winnie likes to go down to "see the airpwanes", and usually picks by box art. "Wanna hab it. Gib it to Winnie; wanna make it." He can build 1/48 when he's older, so there's no stash confusion. ...Yeah...that's the ticket!

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The oil coolers actually (famous Brit word, generally loathed by Nth 'Murican colonials, ;) ) go on the wing leading edge, the wing roots of course are the bits where the sticky out bits start, 'cause you knew that. :P,

Argh, I knew the right word was eluding me, but...I went ahead and wrote it anyway. Shame!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm starting to desire a Bolingbroke - must get back to some Bristol builds, soon.

A nice pair of Bristols will do you good, Buffers.

6 hours ago, 06/24 said:

the sensible mask (must get one, although I saw a thread elsewhere which suggests the contents of ordinary Humbrol thinners is non-toxic)

I'm the least sensible person I know, well, after Winston, but the thought of resin flakes rattling around in my nasal passages, currently dryer than the sahara, gave me the willies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Procopius said:

A nice pair of Bristols will do you good, Buffers.

I'm the least sensible person I know, well, after Winston, but the thought of resin flakes rattling around in my nasal passages, currently dryer than the sahara, gave me the willies.

In order:

Glad I'm not the only one to think of the Bristols gag.

Gah, call yourself a man? We laugh in the face of such danger (actually, we don't, but I have as little as possible to do with resin...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Winnie likes to go down to "see the airpwanes", and usually picks by box art. "Wanna hab it. Gib it to Winnie; wanna make it." He can build 1/48 when he's older, so there's no stash confusion. ...Yeah...that's the ticket!

By the time he's older, your eyes will be going, like me. You can build 1/48, Winnie can inherit the stash...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

There's time yet, time yet. Wait until the wee lad has absorbed the whole canon, then hit him with it. 06/24 minor positively loathes me saying it to him :lalala:

Well unless HIS name is Winston I can quite see where he's coming from...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Meanwhile, back in Blenheim land:

39766629901_2283b4f4cc_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Masking, even with the Eduard sets, is tedious. So many tiny panes to protect. 

Another coat of clear to seal the masks on the Mk I an the turrets and then it can dry overnight. Last of the interior green tomorrow night perhaps.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Gah, call yourself a man? We laugh in the face of such danger (actually, we don't, but I have as little as possible to do with resin...)

I tend to show danger a clean pair of heels.

The Blenheims look great, Jonners! Are you planning on airbrushing the camo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Are you planning on airbrushing the camo?

Yes. But probably not freehand!

Tempted to do another as a 32 Mira Greek bird, but think the Phantom or finishing the Harrier will jump the queue.

Am studiously being patient tonight, after last nights panic I do not want a repeat!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Yes. But probably not freehand!

Wise -- RAF aircraft generally were painted with pretty hard-edged delineations, and my attempts at freehand, at least, have rarely ended well.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Wise -- RAF aircraft generally were painted with pretty hard-edged delineations, and my attempts at freehand, at least, have rarely ended well.

You and me both - when I come to paint mine I'll use Frisk film and my gyro cutter, my preferred method for camouflage as it will give a nice hard edge where blue tak can sometimes leave a rather soft edge which is ok for larger scales but not here. 

Iain.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm glad your stash is as big s mine Procopius, I feel guilty for having so many kits that may one day be built. I sometimes wonder if it's the shear pleasure of having them there to look at.

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well, full of vim, vigor, and joie de vivre, I got down into the grotto around tennish to do a little modelling:

38857233155_b0ec1e2a5d_b.jpg

Nice to have a face to go with the name, even if you do look like a refugee from a Star Wars convention. :-)

And if it's any consolation, it's been cold down here in the Dallas-F.t Worth Metroplex as well, although the temperature for Saturday is forecast to be a balmy 73° (that's Fahrenheit for those of you of a Centigrade frame of mind).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The oil coolers actually (famous Brit word, generally loathed by Nth 'Murican colonials, ;) )

A perfectly good word, "actually." I actually use it all the time! Although down here in The Lone Star State we tend to pronounce it "ack-shully."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Space Ranger said:

A perfectly good word, "actually." I actually use it all the time! Although down here in The Lone Star State we tend to pronounce it "ack-shully."

My nickname at work is "Actually", because that's how I begin every third sentence. I know I have a problem and I'm working to fix myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but what's the consensus on wing-tip navigation lights?

Options as I see it are:

1. Paint 'em green/red respectively - wrong but kinda what my inner ten year old expects?

2. Paint 'em silver - wrong but kinda less wrong maybe?

3. Cut out and replace with clear sprue, with a tiny blob of green/red to represent the bulb? 

3 is, in my limited experience, blooming hard work as you spend ages trying to shape and polish the sprue back to shape and clarity.

10 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but what's the consensus on wing-tip navigation lights?

Options as I see it are:

1. Paint 'em green/red respectively - wrong but kinda what my inner ten year old expects?

2. Paint 'em silver - wrong but kinda less wrong maybe?

3. Cut out and replace with clear sprue, with a tiny blob of green/red to represent the bulb? 

3 is, in my limited experience, blooming hard work as you spend ages trying to shape and polish the sprue back to shape and clarity.

4. Ignore 'em and slay the first man to question you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

The Bisley cowlings just need to dry and then can be assembled:

25900828728_7496534dd3_b.jpg2018-01-18_10-51-13 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The tailplanes are also on, reinforced with grey gloop after the photo was taken:

27994162549_14f15ee117_b.jpg20180118_221119 by Edward IX, on Flickr

About what you can hope for with a butt join. Tamiya Extra Thin has slain its thousands, but Humbrol cement slew its ten thousands here; its adhesive properties were remarkable. 

5 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

I'm glad your stash is as big s mine Procopius, I feel guilty for having so many kits that may one day be built. I sometimes wonder if it's the shear pleasure of having them there to look at.

Stash photo time!

39062880464_5a1ffecb6f_b.jpg20180118_221835 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39062880194_c96ae5b75d_b.jpg20180118_221819 by Edward IX, on Flickr

27994162009_042959a664_b.jpg20180118_221423 by Edward IX, on Flickr

27994160559_87e8190ee3_b.jpg20180118_221541 by Edward IX, on Flickr

24902860977_0d41898ba4_b.jpg20180118_221430 by Edward IX, on Flickr

24902861067_77d051b80f_b.jpg20180118_221508 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39772680011_b1b9c1de26_b.jpg20180118_221535 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39772679221_c6e68ea4fa_b.jpg20180118_221549 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39772678331_55c3017dbf_b.jpg20180118_221602 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39062868264_da793a9306_b.jpg20180118_221612 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39772677261_a71ab87bd7_b.jpg20180118_221625 by Edward IX, on Flickr

On some level this all represents a profound failure to find completion within myself as a human being.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1