1/48 Bloodhound Missile, 3D printed?

RMP2

Hello you helpful bunch. Hope youre all nearly sober now.

I stumbled upon a 3D resin printed, 1/48 Bloodhound missile on ebay the other day. Not seen them before or heard of them.

Link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142495822734?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI142495822734.N36.S1.R1.TR3

Any thoughts? On the face of it, it looks nice (from the CAD drawings) albeit a little tricky to paint up perhaps with so few parts.

Id quite like a 48th Bloodhound, so any thoughts or experience of such things would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

I'd be suspicious of CAD views: depending on printer/print quality, you don't know how far removed from the images the 3D version will be. If the 1/32 version depicted is anything to go by, a 1/48 Bloodhound will be a bit rough. There's a lovely resin Thunderbird out there (I'm tempted I must admit) in 1/35 which I'd do in preference to both 3D prints.

• Like 1

Those same pics are being used on Shapeways here and the price tag is £89 for the 1:87 model, so the price seems a bit low.  There's a huge difference between professionally printed and hobbyist printed parts, so I'd be a bit wary, and maybe ask for some hires pics before you part with your cash :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Those same pics are being used on Shapeways here and the price tag is £89 for the 1:87 model, so the price seems a bit low.  There's a huge difference between professionally printed and hobbyist printed parts, so I'd be a bit wary, and maybe ask for some hires pics before you part with your cash :)

Cheers. I was going to ask for photos if no other advice came from here. But I suspect I know how it will turn out if I ask for pics, although I will do anyway. Got to love a Bloodhound. :)

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Happy New Year all.

1/35 Thunderbird here: http://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html - scroll down the page. Looks really nice.

Just to note, I'm pretty certain this EE Thunderbird is in 1/24 scale - like the rest of the KFS (Kit Form Services) Classic British Military Vehicles series.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

Digressing slightly I'd question the accuracy of the Shapeways offering as I'm not aware of any accurate drawings. KFS are pretty good at research so I suspect their offering will be good. Even the best 3D printers struggle with curved surfaces and that's all there are on a Bloodhound (or Thunderbird). 

Good drawings would be a start then it could be mastered in the real without too much fuss and cast. 

• Like 1