Supermarine TOR4040

Head in the clouds.

Good evening.

This is my last build of 2017 and what a bugger it has been, the UniCraft Supermarine TOR 4040, a vertical take off fighter that was actually a being seriously considered as a viable project .

The kit really is a bag of nails and when I opened the box I knew I had a fight on my hands but I like the quirky nature of this beast I decided to go for it. It is a resin kit of very poor quality, no two mouldings were the same shape or size and every time I filed the little bublle hole and sanded smooth more appeared so I gave up and went with what I had. All the wheels and sponsons were replaced, the wheels with Harrier outrigger wheels and the sponsons made from brass rod and decorative half spheres. The underside intake was scratch built from a bomb out of the spares box and every propeller blade was drilled and fitted with a brass rod for location. The gun barrels are made from brass rod also as the supplied items were unusable and to cap it off one side of the fuselage was banana shaped with a pilots seat that was half cast. The final correction was removing the poorly cast exhaust stacks and replacing with an Eduard item.

Here are some before pics;

20170910_105326

20170910_105334

20170910_105320

20170910_105253

Some after pics;

20171231_151045

20171231_151008

20171231_150927

20171231_151059

Colours are Vallejo and Tamiya and the decals are from JBOT decals as none were supplied with the kit, which may have been a blessing as the JBOT decals settled nicely and look good.

I do like the subject matter that UniCraft produce but after building this I just wanted it finished and off my bench, it was a tester from start to finish and so I probably will not buy any more from this producer untill I find my life is getting too mundane.

Not one of my best but a finished model nonetheless.

Cheers.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

God almighty, what a dog’s dinner that kit is in its raw form. I’ve done better moulding with siligum and Halfords fibreglass resin. Top marks for making such a great looking model from that. I’ve never seen this aircraft before if I’m honest but you’ve done a great job.

On 19/03/2018 at 4:59 PM, goggsy said:

what a dog’s dinner

I can't argue with that sentiment Goggsy, I was in two minds weather to bin or build but glad I stuck it out and made a half decent fist of it. They do some interesting subjects I like but after building this it will take a lot to get me to build another, which is a shame really as he could have a nice little corner of the market if he upped his quality.

Thanks for the compliment, it make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kudos for what you started with and what you ended up with :clap:

I personally would have closed the box, dug a hole in the garden and buried it. I would have then denied ever purchasing it in the first place...

• Haha 1

You've got to wonder about the sort of person who finds that crap solidified inside the moulds and thinks that's the sort of quality product he wants his name associated with.

I'll be honest and say that quite a few of my plans haven't worked out and I suspect that's true for a lot of us. We try things and the results are not what we envisaged. Most of us look at it with disappointment and either give up, try again and improve, or whatever.

Few of us have results like that and think "Nailed it. B)"

• Like 5

• 1 year later...