Academy F4F-4, Don't laugh!

I recently joined this forum after a layoff of model building of 40 something years and to be honest have found it more difficult than I remember. It's a lot harder holding stuff steady, painting etc when you are in your sixties rather than your twenties! Dodgy eyesight doesn't help either. 

Anyway I bought a few kits to get me started and the first aircraft I attempted was this F4F.

I was glad to see this Academy model came with a base like the old days which allowed me to construct it wheels up with a pilot. Also like the old days it had a few bits of flash on some parts.

I had a look in the old paintbox and didn't have exactly the right colours but near enough IMO (I'm sure some people are chewing on the edges of their desks at this point :o) and without further ado I took a few snaps using flash as it's so dark today but hope my initial effort will give all a happy new year laugh.

I realise compared to the wonderful quality I have viewed on this page that I'm letting down the tone of the place but thought as I have enjoyed reading and joining in here I should put myself out there for the ridicule I deserve. ;)

Obviously any critique is welcome and belly laughs too.....

DSCN2986.jpg

DSCN2987.jpgDSCN2988.jpg

• Like 30

After 40-odd years,you've done admirably well. For starter, your model does look like a F4F, AND as long as you have enjoyed yourself, that is all what really matters. And as my compatriot Patrick just said, the next one will be even better!

Keep having fun!

A great New Year to you and your loved ones.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 4

I think the major bit you could improve on is the demarcation between the two colours as that is at the moment the most obvious flaw to me, the rest of the paint job is actually pretty good, seems pretty smooth and you got the metallic part of the propeller looking nice and shiny. Also I would paint the inside of the engine cowling as it's quite visible. Decals look good as well, no silvering that I can see.  As for the colours I haven't built any USN aircraft so I really don't know. I'm sure that as long as you have fun building them they will continue to get better and better, and don't worry everybody has to start somewhere, here's my first.

b2aKhmw.jpg

• Like 1

Don't feel you have to reach a certain level with modelling - the only standard to achieve is what you are happy with. After a 40 year break, this is a very creditable result. 

• Like 5

Nowt wrong with "just having a go".

Kit looks decently well stuck together. I would recommend for your next build that you invest in some masking tape and some new paint and just go for it. It's great relaxation.

Welcome back!

• Like 2

A forty-year gap would put me in my mid-90s, so I'm not going to try it!
For a gap of that magnitude, yours is a perfectly respectable return to the hobby. That canopy looks pretty decent from where I'm sitting.

You're building for fun, so let it be fun.

If you want to, and only if you want to, you can soften the transition between the two colours by using a very small piece of sponge or foam rubber with the absolute minimum of blue paint on it (wipe the rest off on some old newspaper) and dab gently along the demarcation to get a feathered border.

What kit's up next?

• Like 1

My first build after a 20+ year layoff looked like I'd done it in the dark, so I for one will not be laughing. If your next build is any kind of improvement on this, and if you enjoyed the challenge, then you're doing just fine!

• Like 1

Neil it look's like a great start point for a return to modelling so no laughing here, I wish I still had the photo's of my RE 8 Which was my first post on

BM I swear i built better when I was a kid,look and learn all around you,pick up some cheapies and go for it!

• Like 2

Don't knock yourself.

I have some of my, err, classics in the garage and they are abominations frankly.

The build looks tidy enough. The wings and tailplanes are symmetrical and the engine is in straight. The quality of the painting is much better than some I've seen including many of my own efforts!

Do keep at it :)

• Like 2

As all the chaps have said, we all have to (re)start somewhere - build looks good, investment in some better matched paint colours and this would be right on the money- so I'm sure your next build will be even better. Bravo sir and welcome to the motley crew!

• Like 1

The great thing about this forum Neil, is the amount of tips and advice you can get just by looking at peoples builds, and the different levels of experience with everyone having something to offer in the way of that advice. If nowt else, you have a neat model there, the next will be better and so on.....

:goodjob: my man.

Davey.

• Like 1

Never laugh at a fellow modeller.

As you get more involved, ask a lot of questions of this board's usual suspects. They're very generous with their experience and glad to help. I would suggest masking for the color demarcations (as mentioned above) and eventually investing in an airbrush. It is soooo much easier to get a good smooth coat. Best of luck! 

• Like 2

As an old modeler who returned from a multi-decade hiatus a few years back, I applaud your first return effort. As has been hinted hereabouts, they more you build, the better you become. I think it's a nature's law or something. After quite a few models under my belt, my skills are better than ever.

So press on and above all, enjoy. Don't be swayed by anyone else's standards -- you only competing with yourself.

One caveat for all us old-timers -- buy the best magnification aids that you can find, because if it looks good under magnification, it'll look GREAT to the naked eye!

Good luck and carry on.

Ed

• Like 3

Wow, thanks for the kind words, encouragement and tips!

I thought I did OK painting the engine until I realised I had missed out inside the cowling! 

I will definitely be investing in some masking tape and correct paint colours for the next jobs.

I have an Airfix Me109, Revell FW190 and Hawker Tempest on the shelf so one of those will be next and no doubt I'll be troubling you all again in the near future.

Thanks again everyone, what a great place this is. :yes:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Yeah BM....Not too shabby a place is it?

If you need any help just shout there's a world of experience out there (quite literally!)

Iain

Cheers Iain. 

• Like 1