Vallejo Model Color won't thin

Gardner95x

Hi guys,

I have the 1/48 Ta 152 and would really like to paint it in the orange red colour, however I can only get the orange red in Model Color rather than Model Air.

No matter how much I try to thin it it will not come out of my airbrush, only a few specks will come out, I'm using the Vallejo thinner so what am I doing wrong? Is there any other paint brands that do orange red?

Thanks

I’ve had no issues with spraying Model colour, just use the Vallejo updated thinners which are a clear liquid and not the milky old formula, I also add a drop of the Vallejo slow dry to reduce the issue of it drying on the needle tip. 

If if you are using the new formula of thinner then you might have a dodgy bottle of paint, if it’s been stored at low temps then it’s almost impossible to get it spraying correctly no matter what you do. 

My set set up is a Iwata TR1 with a 0.3 needle 

HTH

Dan 

15 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Model Color is not really made for airbrushing unfortunately .

I have to disagree. Model colour sprays perfectly fine. 

Thin with their ab thinner or ultimate thinner for general use or for more extreme work/detail   spraying with less tip dry use vallejo ab cleaner. Contents of cup needs stirring more with a paint bush every few minutes or so as the stronger ‘cleaner’ breaks the paint down more into is constituted parts faster it seems than the thinner because its more ‘hot’  

This was spray painted with model color for its main scheme - RLM 70/02 over 76 with 04 details. 

I use Vallejo model colors with no problem the key for me is water water and more water. I also use a couple of drops of vallejo’s Medea airbrush cleaner as a flow enhancer. Key for using Vallejo is patience as the downside is multiple coats, that need about 18-24 hours to cure. Then you need a clear coat before you can mask for the next color. If you dont wait and clearcoat between colors the masking will pull some of the paint up. Ask me how i know 🤬 ... HTH

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle