Skyhawk first flight question

John R

Seeing Mr Ed's XAD4-1 in RFI led me to pick up Bob Rahn's book 'Tempting Fate' and read about testing the Skyhawk. In it there is a picture captioned 'First flight of the XA4D, June 1954' which shows the a/c fitted with an auxiliary tank under the belly.

Was this really the case? It seems an odd thing to do.

John

20 minutes ago, John R said:

Seeing Mr Ed's XAD4-1 in RFI led me to pick up Bob Rahn's book 'Tempting Fate' and read about testing the Skyhawk. In it there is a picture captioned 'First flight of the XA4D, June 1954' which shows the a/c fitted with an auxiliary tank under the belly.

Was this really the case? It seems an odd thing to do.

John

Was it a tank or tank converted for use as an instrumentation pod?  The latter would make more sense.

Edited by Wez

Here's the tank on the aircraft on the day of the roll-out. Note the A/C data is still covered by the tape and paper on the rear fuse. This picture probably taken before first flight:2v2uzSaUgxfzdhW.jpg

Ed

That doesnt look like a Bravo tank to me (we only used them on the ship)

I'd guess an instrumentation pod as there's bugger all room for anything in the fuselage.

• Like 1

Probably a gutted 150 gal tank?

2v2JojBCzxfzdhW.jpg2v2JojBLoxfzdhW.jpg

The same shape appears on the roll-out photo, but the A/C was trucked from Douglas to Edwards AFB for first flight. Don't think they needed to worry about personal baggage on the first flight...?

The last photo above is from a later flight (note antenna under nose). I'm convinced this is a personal luggage carrier, made from whatever shape BUT it may very well have contained instrumentation. I do know that there was one kind of location device mounted into something similar...

Ed

Curiouser and curiouser! I wonder if we will ever know but I am willing to accept that there was something like that there on the first flight.

It's definitely the 150-gallon tank but it's very likely that it was repurposed to house flight-test instrumentation like a data recorder or photo panel. As Navy870 stated above, there was minimal interior volume that didn't already have something in it. There are also pictures of early flight-test A2Ds with a similar external store that was almost certainly contained research instrumentation.