RS Models 1/72nd Lockheed Lightnings accuracy etc

Wez

Just seen this on the Big H website, it's the RS Models F-5A reconnaissance version of the P-38.

Has anyone made one of the other versions of this kit (P-38D through H)?  What's the fit and general construction like?  Are they accurate?

If you have experience of these kits I'd be interested to glean the gen from you?

I can't speak for the P-38 kits specifically, but any RS kit I've ever tried to build didn't go together without a good bit of test fitting and trimming. Large, often inconveniently placed, mold ejection lugs are also typical of RS kits in my experience.

45 minutes ago, upnorth said:

I can't speak for the P-38 kits specifically, but any RS kit I've ever tried to build didn't go together without a good bit of test fitting and trimming. Large, often inconveniently placed, mold ejection lugs are also typical of RS kits in my experience.

I recall one of the entrants in the French Fancy GB a couple of years back struggling with one of the MB150 series kits, but as that was one of their earlier efforts I'm hoping they've upped their game with their newer efforts, I don't really want to shell out £25 (although I may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere), if all I'm going to do is battle with it and then lose heart and it become another candidate for the shelf of doom!

Hi Wez,

I answered some of your question when I built my copy of the Aleutian P-38E  P-38E WIP

I found it to be very accurate but a little tricky to build here and there, but a great kit after all. I have another "E" in my stash that I will eventually build, as well as a few of their others.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for posting the link to your thread, very useful, you did a good job with your P-38E and I like your simple yet effective prop alignment jig.

The link to @Cookenbacher build of the same kit was educational, I think between you I've learnt what I need to know about these kits. 

I'm still undecided about these kits.

Happy New Year!

Wez

For me, the main trouble with the kit is the fit of the cockpit and nose wheel bay, there is not enough room for both of them in the central 'pod/cupola' - it's not even close. I think I removed nearly 1/8" from the top of the nose wheel bay and then set the cockpit on top of it.

IMG_1639_zpsr1oqiyps

In the pic above, the cockpit has been fitted to the top half of the fuselage/wing (note the large amount of sanding done so the bottom fits the curve of the cupola), and the chopped up nose gear bay sits at the right. The front 1/3rd of the bay didn't interact with the cockpit, so I left a 'notch' so that the height of the nose gear didn't have to be adjusted.

The undersides of the cowlings are switched in the instructions, and I fell for that. But it was easily fixed with plasticard and filler.

From what I remember the rest of the build is very 'short run' but didn't require any surgery.

I do like the shape when it's complete, although I have no reference drawings to compare it to.

IMG_1938_zpsvbsnlzui

• Like 1

@cookenbacher thanks for posting a summary of your build, it was a very useful and honest thread, I'm still wavering over buying this kit, that French scheme is very tempting.

• Like 1