Bull-nuts Operation Husky M4A1

bull-nut

On 14/01/2018 at 2:28 PM, bull-nut said:

since I have been unable to find any period pics of a Op' Husky Sherman with the pressed/stamped units.

That matches my findings, while browsing configurations for my own (US) M4A1s.....Not that pictures of Operation Husky seem to be terribly prevalent, compared to other campaigns.  I blame the Mafia.  ;) 

FWIW

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

It has been said before that any progress is better than no progress, and things have certainly been slow on the modelling front around here recently. However, I have been able to get the running gear put together.

y7432wj.jpg

Also fitted the kit lifting eyes, lights, siren, and brush guards. Along with the lower section of the wading trunk.

lrjxoQq.jpg

Then I started with the periscope brush guards. Hauler do an etch set for these, along with the light guards, but I figured I'd have a go at making them myself. After a few false starts trying to use a plasicard jig, I remembered that SWMBO had a set of jewellery pliers in her work drawers. As I was raiding her stash of wire anyway, I tried the pliers, got a better result, and came up with the following sequence that may be of use to someone.

Etbcdg7.jpg

L-R, Top-Bottom

1. The pink handled pliers are flat needle nosed, while the blue are broader;
  2. Crimp wire around needle pliers, leaving sufficient length to insert into drilled holes;
  3. Clip off, leaving one leg longer than the other, then repeat to give a matched pair;
  4. Insert into drilled holes near the corners of the periscope, place the longer leg first, and fix with a small drop of CA (super) glue;
  5. Place overlong crossbars and fix as above, trim when set, and file sharp edges flush. (still need to file these)

Spots on the cutting mat are about 2mm apart The wire I used here is 0.315mm, which scales out as a shade over 15mm diameter in 1/48. I'm not sure what thickness stock the US factories used, but it looks close enough to my eye, maybe I'll see if I can measure them next time I'm down at Bovington.

And finally, just because I could:

qPYps82.jpg

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 8

Just catching up bull nut, she's looking sharp I've always been amazed by people who do their tracks like that. How do you do it?

Not sure I follow what you mean @Ozzy, if you mean how do I keep the running gear separate as a single unit for painting, it's not that difficult when using Link-N-Length track. Put simply, glue the curved run onto the sprocket, tack the sprocket/road wheels/idler into place with sticky putty, and work forward from the sprocket around the full track run, following the kit instructions. I suppose you could do something similar with non workable single link track if you made it up into LnL sections as you went.

When I come to do the RWY Sherman tracks in my other build, I'll see if I can remember to document the process for you, though I'm currently fighting with the resin bogies. Maybe I'll dig out the Achilles for the 10th anniversary GB and showcase it in that instead.

In the mean time, I have attached the OVE to the hull, and replaced the M2's barrel and grips with a fine multipart replacement from RB, I'll get some pics up later.

Next job is to start work on the waterproofing remnants and stowage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Later than planned, I have progress pics. First up, kit M2HB .50 Browning HMG with RB Models upgrade set;

57BRaP2.jpg

I drilled out the centre of the drive sprockets to accept a length of styrene tube, then inserted a length 1.5mm brass rod for strength and to act as a locating pin into the transmission housing.

TuQ0jRZ.jpg

Also drilled out the rear idler to accept the same size tubing, though I left the insert off, because;

vnNIxCr.jpg

I repeated the tubing and rod system at the rear, fitting the rod through the rod into a section of square tube roughly shaped as the track adjuster. since this picture was taken, I have added a piece of hex rod to represent the track tension nut.

Next up was the addition of the waterproofing remnants, using small sausages of Kneadatite epoxy putty, these were placed around the two hull hatches, bow machine gun, co-ax MG, engine cover, commanders hatch, and completely covering the gun rotor shield, which I scratched roughly from a scrap of plasticard. the torn sections were roughly dragged down the tank, trying to replicate the way fabric would have fallen over the hull/turret. I left the main gun waterproofing intact on purpose.

xbl95Ch.jpg

The small ventilator on the front hull side was replicated with a ball of putty, textured downwards at the edges.

XQosa1s.jpg

Thinking the tank looked a little bare, I grabbed some plastic stowage items from the Tamiya set, bedded them into a thin rolled sheet of putty, and added some putty bed rolls to help bind it all together.

ADaSMzk.jpg

The first coat of primer is now drying, so I hope to get paint on it tomorrow.

Edited by bull-nut
missing pic
  • Like 7

I'll take the periscope gaurds tip on board, i only managed 1 out of 3 goes to fit mine, they pretty squarely beat me, the  pe ones were just so flimsy and broke  up whilst attempting to fit them, i like how you're fitting the tracks, cool, impressive build 

Glynn 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going bull nut, thanks for the track explanation now I know how people do it.

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'll take the periscope gaurds tip on board, i only managed 1 out of 3 goes to fit mine, they pretty squarely beat me, the  pe ones were just so flimsy and broke  up whilst attempting to fit them, i like how you're fitting the tracks, cool, impressive build 

Glynn 

Glad too be of service :thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Very impressive, inventive modelling! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks @PlaStix

On a slight side note, does anyone know how many towing shackles British A15 and A27 cruiser tanks were issued with, I have one of each in the stash, all of which come with shackles, and it seems odd that Tamiya chose not to include said parts in their Sherman kits. If the answer to the above is only 4, then I can rob the kits. I have not found any images of A15's with a full compliment. Ordinarily I would get some from Ian at Friendship Models, but he is out of stoke ATM. 

• Like 1

Paint on, I started by spraying the track blocks and tyres with XF85 rubber black;

jCcR7wM.jpg

Then mixed up a small batch of something approximating US Yellow Earth using XF60 Dark Yellow, with some X6 Orange added to it, I'm not sure how close of a match it realy is, but it looks close enough to my eyes. This was sprayed over the mud guards, upper hull sides, transmission housing and upper glacis.

3etjycv.jpg

fXHYba8.jpg

While that dried, I mixed some XF60 into the remnants of my XF62 Olive Drab, I think it is about a 3:1 ration of OD:DY. This was sprayed at low pressure over the wheels, bogies, and the front and sides of the hull, over some of the yellow earth colour, leaving in improvised camo pattern around the upper hull, I then turned up the pressure slightly to spray the remainder of the hull and turret. The wading trunk was sprayed with straight XF51 Khaki Drab to give some colour variety. I deliberately left the paint a little patchy to make a start on the weathering process. I usually try for an even as possible base coat, so this is a little out of my comfort zone.

3WlcuYq.jpg

AkxvHQr.jpg

TwODg3f.jpg

YZcGmae.jpg

After rechecking my references however, I have noticed that my mantlet waterproofing looks nothing like the period photo's, so it's all going to have to come off and be redone. That will teach me to get carried away with the putty. :facepalm:  :swear:

I'll try and get this done this week, but I'm off to Bovington with the family on Saturday, so if there is anything anyone wants pictures of, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

edit: Don't you just hate it when you look at hi res pics in a monitor, and notice all the bits that the paint missed? No way to cover those with weathering, so It's back out with the airbrush later I guess! :headbang:

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The last addition to the wading trunk on this build was the semi circular cap. this was made with a pair of partial circles cut with a circle cutter from 3/4mm plasticard, with an added styrene tube spacer.

ozF9iH2.jpg

Then a rectangle of 1/2mm card was clued to one side, and when the glue was fully set 24hrs later, heated in hot water and wrapped around the remainder of the sides.

ZTrwOan.jpg

This was allowed to dry fully again, before trimming the excess material with a blade. I painted the inside with Tamiya dark iron, just because I had it to hand, and the outside with the same Khaki Drab as the ret of the wading trunk, before gluing in place.

I decided not to redo the mantlet waterproofing after all. After another look, I decided it was "close enough for government work" so to speak, so went ahead and painted the waterproofing, stowage, tools and a TC from the Tamiya US figure set with a variety of Citadel acrylics.

The usual gloss goat, decals, and flat coat followed, then a light weathering glaze of 9/1 Tamiya Flat Clear/Buff.

RB71Hhe.jpg

I followed this with an overall flat coat just to even out the finish, and I can call it done. more pics in the Gallery

Edit: AAArgh, still missed the inside of the antenna mount, I'll get that with a hairy stick shortly.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 4