1/48 PRU B-25C mission marks

ReccePhreak

I am wanting to do my Accurate Miniatures 1/48 B-25C as one of the aircraft in the below profiles:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/9c/26/e19c26615eac39d2044a745723211fc7.jpg

I would really like to do MA956:E, but I have been unable to find any decals for the unique mission marks pictures. They sort of look like winged bombs. Does anybody make those markings in 1/48 decal form? I guess I would also need a suitable Air Vice Marshall's pendant.

Larry

34 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My two cents is they're cameras. I know other recon units used cameras instead of bombs for mission markers. I have a set in red for one plane in my decal stash i think a p-38/F-4 or F-5.

That's logical. Now I need to find 50 of them.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

That's logical. Now I need to find 50 of them.

there maybe something similar in another PR decal sheet,  I'm having vague memories of them being used on US PR Mosquitos,  ah..cloud with lightning bolt..

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/21-British-Aircraft-in-USAAF/British-aircraft-USAAF-service-21-22-960

the UK types is USAAF  serivice may have  some  useful info for you,  the booklet is  scanned in the link.

Regarding the B-25 PR in SEAC, do you have the book,  Eyes For The Phoenix?

41MKPQ84V4L._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyes-Phoenix-Photo-reconnaissance-Operations-South-East/dp/0951989944/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514689873&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Eyes+for+the+Pheonix%3A+Allied+Aerial+Photo-Reconnaissance

I'm presuming you  do, but if not it does have a few photos of said B-25s,  and despie the title, a lot of information about colours in general  in SEAC,  well worth picking up  for anyone interested in SEAC markings,  covers Royal Navy PR types as well.

If hard to find in the  US,  or expernsive,  pdf's are 'out  there'

HTH

T

On 12/30/2017 at 8:51 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good luck. You could always try to make a tiny stamp, and actually stamp them on the plane ? 

Thanks. Or i could just do the Royal Blue painted bird, since it doesn't have any mission marks. :hmmm:

On 12/30/2017 at 9:18 PM, Troy Smith said:

there maybe something similar in another PR decal sheet,  I'm having vague memories of them being used on US PR Mosquitos,  ah..cloud with lightning bolt..

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/21-British-Aircraft-in-USAAF/British-aircraft-USAAF-service-21-22-960

the UK types is USAAF  serivice may have  some  useful info for you,  the booklet is  scanned in the link.

Regarding the B-25 PR in SEAC, do you have the book,  Eyes For The Phoenix?

41MKPQ84V4L._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyes-Phoenix-Photo-reconnaissance-Operations-South-East/dp/0951989944/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514689873&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Eyes+for+the+Pheonix%3A+Allied+Aerial+Photo-Reconnaissance

I'm presuming you  do, but if not it does have a few photos of said B-25s,  and despie the title, a lot of information about colours in general  in SEAC,  well worth picking up  for anyone interested in SEAC markings,  covers Royal Navy PR types as well.

If hard to find in the  US,  or expernsive,  pdf's are 'out  there'

HTH

T

Thanks for the info Troy.

Yes, I have that book, it is one of my most prized books.

Do you remember the old issues of Aircraft Modelworld (I think that's the one), where Geoffrey Thomas wrote articles entitled "Eyes For The Phoenix"? I collected all I could find, when I was stationed at RAF Alconbury. I was so excited when he did the book.

I may just do the B-25C that is on Page 198, Profile 10, since it would be easier to do.

Larry

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My two cents is they're cameras. I know other recon units used cameras instead of bombs for mission markers. I have a set in red for one plane in my decal stash i think a p-38/F-4 or F-5.

Yep- they're cameras, and IIRC the one that is a darker color on the color profile represents a night recon mission. I think a simple rubber stamp might work, but would be a pain to line the markings up is a straight row with uniform spacing....is this a fun hobby or what?

Mike

CFFU- had my 1/72 Revell F4U-4 off the shelf briefly, but put it right back on the dreaded Shelf of Doom- what a waste of plastic; sure wish Tamiya would crank out the rest of the Corsair line; I don't think they could mold them fast enough to meet the demand. Sigh.

@72modeler ...revell’s -4 dont let that stop you ? If you need it in the collection ? That or you could just graft the nose onto Tamiya’s 1/72 scale -1D. Though you’d have to hollow out the nose for the new engine if its like the 1/48th  scale kit ?   I’ve got a project coming up soon using the Revelogram 1/48 -4 Corsair. Ive got a bunch of spares and extra stuff collected over the years. So much so that im going to attempt to put lipstick on that pig. ... 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@72modeler ...revell’s -4 dont let that stop you ? If you need it in the collection ? That or you could just graft the nose onto Tamiya’s 1/72 scale -1D. Though you’d have to hollow out the nose for the new engine if its like the 1/48th  scale kit ?   I’ve got a project coming up soon using the Revelogram 1/48 -4 Corsair. Ive got a bunch of spares and extra stuff collected over the years. So much so that im going to attempt to put lipstick on that pig. ... 

Not as easy as it sounds, my friend. There's that pear-shaped cowling, different exhausts, and the much flatter and different belly fairing...plus cutting the Tamiya fuselage to mount the wider windscreen of the dash-4; not to mention filling the gunports and spent case chutes and cutting out new ones for the 20mm cannon. I think I could do it, with some crosskitting and scratchbuilding, but I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody will do definitive late Hogs, all the way out to the dash-7...the sad part is that with a little more effort Italeri and/or Revell could have done a much better job. Actually, the one that gets my juices flowing is the XF4U-1...think I have it figured out- going to use the Hasegawa birdcage as the base kit, as the way it is engineered lends itself to the mods better than the Tamiya kit. Silver lacquer,  yellow wings, and a big, honking HS prop- what's not to like?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, Fernando said:

Hi, everyone,

Is there any reasonable sketch about the cameras location and  related structures? And yet there seems to be none on the Buffalo...

Fernando

Not that I know of.  But there is the following description on p.40 of Geoff Thomas' Eyes For The Phoenix: "2,000 gal fuel tanks in the bomb-bays extended the operating radius to about 1,000 miles.  Three cameras, F.8 or F.24, were mounted above the ventral turret opening aft of the bomb-bay, the side cameras set at a slight angle to overlap the coverage of the vertical central camera, and a F.52/20" camera was mounted within the rear of the fuselage.  Because the centre of gravity had been shifted forwards by the conversion, ballast was added within the rear fuselage."

Elsewhere Thomas says that

• the aircraft were finished in a "dull dark blue similar to the 'royal blue' of the Hurricanes, with National Marking 1 [ie Type B: my comment.] applied only to the upper surface of the wings."  The colour was chosen by Sq Ldr Pearson, OC 3 PRU, who had experience with both 103 Maintenance Unit and 2 PRU in Egypt.
  • The aircraft were ex-Dutch Navy and, never transferred to the RAF, retained their ML serial numbers: N5-139, N5-143, N5-144, N5-145 and N5-148
  • The wing roundels soon acquired a yellow surround.

ISTR Thomas saying in the preceding series of the same title in the old Aircraft Modelworld magazine that the aircraft carried the Dutch serial in 4" characters under the tailplane but I cannot discern it in any of the photos in the book.

• Like 1