Sexton 11 25 PDR

beefy66

Well this will be my entry for the GB Dragons smart kit Sexton and 25 PDR gun

Also have the Resi cast stowage set and this will all go with a small diorama base I have an Idea for

IMG_4421.jpg

beefy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great idea for a build. Of course the Sexton was based on the Ram tank which was derived from the M3 and was preferred over the M7 Priest due to the compatibility of using 25pdr ammunition. The Ram/Sexton series was unusual in the fact it was right hand drive. 

• Like 2

Nice choice Beefy, looking forward to this one. You can fit the bronco 25 pdr crew in nicely, the layer needs a little plastic surgery but un noticeable once he's in position.

• Like 1

many moons ago l got a set of plans and was going to do one. Only cause it was l believe a canadian conversion or used by the RCA. Not sure of my reasons now.

hacker

• Like 1

Well have managed to cure the hangover and have some days off until time to go back to W#£"4 did not want to say it

made a start on the suspension and transmission and gearbox also lower hull after reading some of the other builds it seams as though some people are having problems with the DS tracks mine were packed quite flat so no kinks and these will be my second time using this type so here we go for joyride folks

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

Also just completed this one as a warm up to this GB in the KUTA GB

IMG_4457.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

Thanks lads

OK Bogies done added the return skids and added the bolt heads also drilled out the front face bolt holes

IMG_4547.jpg

And this is where you get the bolt heads from on the sprue as Dragon forget to mention this in the instructions  ;)

IMG_4548.jpg

beefy

• Like 6

Good to see this one underway. Looks like it should be a great project to follow. :popcorn: I recently finished my first 1/35 Dragon kit and I found it really well made. I know some can be a bit hit and miss. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one beefy, I've never thought of using an X to line up the holes. I just normally drill and hope.

Thanks Ozzy using the X gives a better reference position old habits from an engineering apprenticeship

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one underway. Looks like it should be a great project to follow. :popcorn: I recently finished my first 1/35 Dragon kit and I found it really well made. I know some can be a bit hit and miss. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix I have a few Dragon kits in my stash and built up the only thing I find tedious is the individual links they take ages nearly as bad as Fruil tracks

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Interesting build Beefy - I'm hooked.

And nice job on the Sherman.  You are as bad as I am not sticking to one build:lol:

Rob

Hi Rob

Yes I have a problem sometimes where I tend to leave a model if I get bored or it is becoming a bit of a pain for the old grey matter I think you know which one I mean  :rage:

beefy

• Like 2

Hi Beefy,

If I hadn't chosen an Easy Eight, I'd have gone for the Sexton. It's an interesting and great looking vehicle. I suspect yours will score highly on that alone. If you finish it to the same quality as the Sherman in your diorama I will certainly be voting for it!

BTW, a great little bonus with those bolt heads. Hats off to Dragon for that idea! I'm going to have to scratch mine!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

a great little bonus with those bolt heads. Hats off to Dragon for that idea! I'm going to have to scratch mine

Hi Badder not a lot of people know about the bolt heads no indication as to what to use them for in the instructions I picked up on this while reading a magazine artical and looking at reference photos of the different types of wheels used

Bit easier on this build as I have the open spoke type

IMG_4550.jpg

Well started on the driver compartment and noticed a bit of a gap to the hull sides so when I glued in place I firt put some bars in the reinforce this area

IMG_4553.jpg

So bulkhead in place and control arms in the driver seat and stowage box on the left side are just dry fitted for now

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

beefy

• Like 7

Nice progress Beefy, are you going to have any of the floor hatches open?

Here are some pictures taken down in Portsmouth at Fort Nelson.

image.jpg

The fighting compartment 

image.jpg

The rear stowadge bin in the rear of the fighting compartment, filled with junk but looks like it's where the charge cases went? I couldn't get into the other one but imagine it's the same.

image.jpg

image.jpg

some outside shots.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Beefy, are you going to have any of the floor hatches open?

Thanks for those photos Ozzy they will come in very handy  :book: I do not have much on the sexton variant but do have stuff for the M 7 Priest

Will not open the floor hatches as want to put the crew in for a diorama

The photos you have show a different colour scheme the instructions are calling for looks like OD green with black Micky mouse camo but the instructions are calling for a Brown colour so will have to do a bit of digging before any painting  :think:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoftScience said:

n you post a photo or two of the resicast stowage? I'm interested in seeing what it actually looks like before putting down the money.

As requested SoftScience some shots of the stowage I will be using going to use a mix of the Resicast M7 Priest and the Legends Firefly sets the sets give enough to use over 2 or 3 builds

IMG_4555.jpg

The grey resin is the Resicast stuff and the yellow is the legends set

The Resicast set gives you 2 options of forward transmission covers

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

Plenty of bed rolls and the casting is spot on

IMG_4558.jpg

rear deck stowage and fuel cans you can see how good the details stand out I have used a number of these sets over the years and would recommend to anyone as good value

I usually get the sets from various model shows I attend from Scotia models or Wee friends

HTH  beefy

• Like 7

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Thanks for those photos Ozzy they will come in very handy  :book: I do not have much on the sexton variant but do have stuff for the M 7 Priest

Will not open the floor hatches as want to put the crew in for a diorama

The photos you have show a different colour scheme the instructions are calling for looks like OD green with black Micky mouse camo but the instructions are calling for a Brown colour so will have to do a bit of digging before any painting  :think:

I built the Priest a few years back, i used the 2 British infantry sets to make a crew. I didn't look at the painting guide as I painted mine green all over, is it a dark brown? As someone's thread mention some Italian vehicles were green and brown.

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

is it a dark brown? As someone's thread mention some Italian vehicles were green and brown.

Hi Ozzy i think this may be a similar colour brown bit like a khaki brown and a blue black pattern the colour guide has this in Normandy 1944 (Essex Yeomanry RHA )

Got on with the rear end and fitted the Transmission cover and head lights must be an early type because your photos and on the net show the lights further back on the gun sheild

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

beefy

Edited by beefy66
  • Like 5

Did a bit of work on the radio cage added some cables and built the gun mount base boy it looks rather cramped in there where the driver has to sit

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

• Like 6