44M Zrinyi I Hungarian 75mm Assault Gun - 1:72 IBG Models

Paul A H

44M Zrinyi I Hungarian 75mm Assault Gun

1:72 IBG

zrinyii_01.jpg

The Zrinyi was a Hungarian assault gun based on the chassis of the Turán medium tank. The vehicle was produced in two variants. The Zrinyi I was fitted with a long-barrelled 43M 75mm gun and was intended to fulfil the role of tank killer, while the Zrinyi II was fitted with a short-barrelled 105mm MÁVAG howitzer for use in the infantry support role. Between 40 and 66 Zrinyi IIs were completed, while the Zrinyi I never progressed beyond the prototype stage. 

IBG Models have busy plugging gaps in the collections of 1:72 AFV modellers for some time now. They've given us a number of unique kits of Hungarian armour, of which this is the latest. The kit follows the Turan I and II and Zrinyi II, with which it shares a significant number of parts. The kit arrives packed into the standard IBG box, which is at least twice as large as it needs to be. Inside are five frames of crisply moulded grey plastic and a small decal sheet. The plastic parts are crisply moulded and well detailed. Three of the sprues are from the aforementioned Turan/Zrinyi kits, while two are specific to this release.

zrinyii_02.jpg

zrinyii_03.jpg

zrinyii_04.jpg

Construction starts with the running gear and lower hull. There are sixteen wheels and two bogeys on each side, so quite a lot of cutting, sanding and patience is required. Luckily everything fits together well and the breakdown of construction means it is easy to align everything correctly. The lower hull is made up from a floor pan, sides and glacis plate, onto which the pre-assembled road wheel bogeys, return rollers and drive sprockets are fitted. The whole thing took me a couple of evenings due to the large number of small parts, but as the rest of the build is so straightforward, it doesn't take long to catch up.

The tracks are of the link and length variety. They are nicely detailed and appear to fit well (although this is as far as I have got with my build). Once fitted, construction turns to the upper half of the hull. The fenders and armoured front plate fit onto the box-like upper hull, along with the delicate 75mm gun. Be careful cutting this part from the sprue as it is very thin and the plastic is quite soft. I will need to use some filler to repair mine as I was less than careful. Finishing details, such as the tools, are all moulded separately - and indication that this kit is aimed at the enthusiast modeller rather than the casual dabbler. IBG has included some nice finishing touches such as spare road wheels and jerry cans to fit to the rear of the vehicle. 

zrinyii_05.jpg

The decal sheet provides just one option, which is about as good as you can hope for given than just one prototype was constructed.

Conclusion

I have to congratulate IBG Models for producing a mainstream kit of a prototype Hungarian assault gun. As usual, the level of detail is excellent and the quality of manufacture is up there with the best names in the business. Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif

Yes!  :yahoo:

I'll give this particular kit a miss as the type was never deployed, but I'm taking this as proof of life for their Zrinyi II.....Presumably a Tiran or two can't be far off now they've done the chassis?  B)