M4A3, CALLIOPE, 1/35

Hewy

5 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Great looking finish, all the pre-shading has really paid off - learning some new tricks here as I know nothing about weathering armour. How did you paint the rubber tyres on the lower set of wheels? Those tracks look like a nightmare, I will be avoiding that type.

Thanks nigel, i painted the tyres with a brush just before the tracks went on with, watery paint and revolving the wheel while holding the brush as steady as i could, i went over the edges a bit but i reasoned a tad of weathering would hide any little accidents 

4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Good work on the tracks, I've yet to give my (Panda) tracks a good go at assembling yet, just fiddled with a couple of bits!

Nice work on the painting/finishing, although I'm still not convinced by this pre-shading business, either on aircraft or vehicles. I just don't think it looks 'right', but that's only my opinion :D, and doesn't detract from the work you have done so far.

:goodjob:

Davey.

No probs davey, i know its not every ones cup of tea, cheers though 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

I have to echo what has already been said. The tracks look great and well worth the effort!

And that's about the best pre-shading technique I've ever seen. As you say, so often it gets completely lost under the following coats, but you've got it dead right.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a bit of catching up with the sherman the last couple of days,  after having a minor sabbatical on a miniart us motorcycle and mp,  as light relief from the stresses of bronco tracks:P. I've got the rocket frame work done, painted, and sympathetically wired up, it's close, not that far off,  but no cigar, I've also added a couple of jerry cans and improvised straps from leftover pe, and napsacks, i still need to decide if I'm going to have a bash at making the periscope gaurds from wire, aka nigel's superb job on soldering from scratch, convert back to kit ones, of leave well alone? Anyway gloss thiss week decals, and the bit I'm thinking of with trepidation the weathering, thanks for stopping by, stay safe

Glynn 

fPKbTPt.jpg

A bit of detail added to the rocket launcher, reinforcement, and a bit of wiring for the jetison arrangement 

7d3hohD.jpg

KLslnsB.jpg

mql0yWb.jpg

And a pic of a calliope with the parts ive tried to reproduce, althogh not necessarily all on the tank I'll be doing, 

LSRGw99.jpg

And a little test fit, the wires for the rocket triggers will go down the spare airel blank

xPCmdt4.jpg

And the distraction, awsome kit 150 odd parts inc pe, i may add this to a little scene at the end all being well

t8Z3b7s.jpg

Ive also made Also the airel extension

Qv9qzWN.jpg

Thanks

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking really awesome!! Your attention to the details is really taking this to the next level. Very impressive. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Ta stix, most kind mate

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Glynn, on both the rocket launcher and the motorcycle.

Thanks , that motorcycle took the best part of a week, once you glued a  couple of bits to the frame you had to put it down for fear of squashing it to bits, delicate or what, not counting my bull elephants touch of course

Glynn 

• Like 1

Hello @Hewy I took these from my grandfathers basic training yearbook. He was at Camp Pine New York, with the 4th Armored Division. More Specifically with the 37th Armored Regiment under Creighton Abrams. He was actually a part of the headquarters company directly under Abrams. I also have some photos of M3’s both the stuart, and the Lee’s (Riveted & cast). However I figured these might help. I apologize they aren't the best but they might help you with your Motorcycle. nQyEAfZ.jpg

tD2mW9P.jpg

QswT9yS.jpg

yyrdByY.jpg

tnR372U.jpg

AmLB8LK.jpg

AepJRz0.jpg

TEROfZL.jpg

I believe Camp pine still exists as part of Fort Drum where the 10th Mountain division resides today. I hope these are of interest and help you or somebody else. 

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What a great set of photos dennis, miniart do a motorcycle  on its side and the rider shooting from behind, looks like they've  modelled it from that very photo, great stuff thanks for posting, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Absolutely top notch modelling fella.....I'm onto my third notebook here!  :thumbsup:

If you were taking notes on my build alone, you wouldn't be past the first paragraph, :D, cheers sarge 

3 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Looking great and I like the bike. Glad you liked my periscope guards, they were a bit fiddly TBH.

Nigel I'm going to have a bash at soldering them using your technique, god help me:huh:

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Superb work Glynn, great attention to detail on the rocket frame and tubes.

Good work on the motorbike too, looks like a nicely detailed kit.

Ta Craig, the mc kit is incredibly delicate, and it really does test your tiny parts fitting ,although the sarge in braille scale should be used to this,  and pe bending skills, not to mention patience, although compared to those bronco tracks, easy;), craig you wouldn't believe how long those tubes took to look right, the ends did not meet, thats all super glue mr hobby filler, and reaming out with a drill bit, but hey ho, it's still modelling 

Thanks gents

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Great work all round Glynn, especially the bike.

i have to echo Johns comment on this it is looking real good and I do like that bike very neat PE work

beefy

• Like 1

I've had a little go at weathering today, i glossed it up with tamiya gloss mixed with mr hobby laquer thinners,  decaled, a bit of paint chipping (i dont know if i like it, but i did it in enamels just in case, i'll have another look tomorrow) , and i did the oil dot business, I've still got everything below the sponsons to weather, thanks for looking, feedback encouraged 

Glynn

Zwv5KlB.jpg

JXdDDVt.jpg

1yAAX6K.jpg

odc4ttR.jpg

• Like 9

Awesome looking paintwork and initial weathering Glynn. The different tones you have achieved look very realistic. Stunning stuff. Going to look fantastic with the tubes mounted above! :thumbsup::thumbsup: 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Awesome looking paintwork and initial weathering Glynn. The different tones you have achieved look very realistic. Stunning stuff. Going to look fantastic with the tubes mounted above! :thumbsup::thumbsup: 

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix, most appreciated 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Glynn, looks suitably weathered from here. Not used the oil paint dots myself before, was it easy to do?

It was surprisingly easy ozzy, raided the daughters paint set and dabbed away, viewed a couple of YouTube videos on the task before hand, but the beauty of it is you can just wipe it off with turps if you dont like it, in hindsight i probably should have highlighted a few raised details before  glossing it, I'm happy so far though 

• Like 1

I like a lot of paint and weathering, and the equipment is great ...:popcorn:

I'm sorry I missed it, but I have not gone through the GBST thread until yesterday, that I'm going to start with my kit, and I see that there are already great progresses everywhere ...:analintruder:

Cheers Hewy :yes:

• Thanks 1