M4A3, CALLIOPE, 1/35

Hewy

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

John if i can quiz you for a moment, i think I've  made an error on the bogeys, I've  put the straight, flat top ones on from the kit not the upswept ones, I've boobed haven't i

Glynn 

'fraid so. Looking at the box art and the photo of the real thing, then yes, they should be the upswept return roller arms. If you can't pry them off of the hull, could you cut/saw off the arms and replace them with the correct ones?

John.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's Shermans for you!  :whistle:

Hope you can sort it without too much grief.  :pray:

Flippin Shermans :rage:, All sorted sarge,  upswept bogeys are retro fitted I had to use the suspension springs from a italeri kit, the self inflicted track punishment ended last night too, all built with duck bills added, one minor hiccup though, the drive sprockets in the academy kit don't fit the bronco tracks, :idea:, so I had to break out my only other Sherman again , an it italeri  boxing, and try those, they fit the tracks OK, so finally a bit of painting tonight, and some piccies

• Like 2

Have to confess, I just checked all my references (yet again), flat arms across the board for me fortunately.....The sheer number of small variations is staggering, even some quite major differences can be hard to spot unless you have a selection of photos (I'm still unsure if one of my subjects has a pistol-port).  :nerd:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have to confess, I just checked all my references (yet again), flat arms across the board for me fortunately.....The sheer number of small variations is staggering, even some quite major differences can be hard to spot unless you have a selection of photos (I'm still unsure if one of my subjects has a pistol-port).  :nerd:

Easily rectified post build with a suitably microscopic drill bit and electron microscope though I'd have thought :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I had noticed that you had used flat arm rather than upswept bogies/ The Sherman is a myriad of variations and there really isn't any standard standard!, 

To tell you the truth i was thinkinking of leaving them,they certainly can be varied,  there were two sets in the kit, flat top ones with two mounting pins,  and upswept with one pin , guess which ones fit the hull properly, yep the flat top ones with 2 holes to receive the pins,  i dont know much about shermans, but i agree they're a minefield, although in this case i couldn't find one single picture of a m4a3 wet with flat top bogeys, i know it's  nit picking but changing them beat what was on the telly that night, 

Cheers

After replacing the bogeys,  i pecked on with th tracks, :angry:, i can't do any better with these bronco tracks and duckbills, you have to use the tiniest amount of glue to prevent capillary action, and as many bits seem to fall off as you've glued on:blink:, but they're done, although  some of the duckbills fell off during painting and handling, these will be replaced when the tracks are glued to the tank now, you may notice the edges of the duck bills still have some sprue gate remnants on them, instead of sanding these individually i intend to sand these when they're on the tank and in a row. Also i gave the box on the back a couple of very thin coats of od to see what the shading will be like, I'm happy with how it turned out, tyres to paint and I'll glue those  1162 track parts in place, 

Cheers 

Glynn 

9py3JXk.jpg

MugG4Yo.jpg

tFd1Whi.jpg

T6X9ubV.jpg

• Like 9

I will get @Sgt.Squarehead to mention you in dispatches for completing those tracks, i don't think Ive see a picture with complete duckbills present. I'm sure they will look fine once there attached.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I will get @Sgt.Squarehead to mention you in dispatches for completing those tracks, i don't think Ive see a picture with complete duckbills present. I'm sure they will look fine once there attached.

Ohh thats a bonus on the duckbills,, cheers ozzy

• Like 2

By god sir, an effort like that should be recorded in the regimental diaries for posterity.  :coolio:

I feel your pain @Hewy, but it was worth it.....They really are going to look the business once they're hung on the tank.  :thumbsup:

PS - Love the swept return roller arms, very wise to dry fit the flat ones to prevent damage prior to painting.....Most cunning of you!  ;)

• Thanks 2

Ah, too kind sarge, better than the rubber ones, i agree,  but i reckon down the pecking order on the likes of panda or those metal ones ozzy has rounded up, don't  mention me in dispatches just yet though sarge , lets get these infernal intricacies on the tank first, theres still time to turn a silk purse into a sows ear:drunk:

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Duckbills were notorious for breaking off when going over rough ground.with rocks. Years ago when i built my first Tamiya M4a3 with duckbiled rubberband tracks i cut several of the bills off to simulate this. 

Looks like that info has just saved my sanity, cheers dennis

Glynn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

you have to use the tiniest amount of glue to prevent capillary action, and as many bits seem to fall off as you've glued on

It's not just me then?  I've found the odd one or two 'teeth' will fall off as I'm joining links - duck-bills must be far worse.  At least you won't have to replace all of the 'bills.

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

i intend to sand these when they're on the tank and in a row

I feel that's a brave approach, - personally,  I'd rather sand them on the flat, where I can clamp the tracks, and stop them moving around (and, more easily, catch errant 'bills).

• Thanks 1

Well the tracks are on, very fiddly,  and unnecessarily complex, which takes the fun out of modelling in the end, alas here they are ,not great,  also to cheer me up, and restore some sapped mojo, I've given the tank a coat of od, mr hobby od,  because it was the lightest  i have, i usually find a light base coat lends itself to weathering a little better which usually darkens the finish , i can always apply filters if I'm not happy, i erred on the safe side with the od, very thin coats, i'll have another look tommorrow with fresh eyes and daylight,to see if it needs a top up in places,  thanks to andy for suggesting some dark dabs with the sponge before the top coat,  i like how thats turned out, thanks for looking, comments most welcome.  Rocket tubes next1

Glynn

kPV4848.jpg

CjBLO25.jpg

wmrgaXV.jpg

yjCnEv3.jpg

EHSqbMe.jpg

vLH0I3b.jpg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking very nice indeed Glynn, those tracks must have really tried your patience, not sure I could have done it.

Looking back craig i don't know how i did either :drunk: 

cheers mate

Glynn 

• Like 1

Fantastic job Glynn, that pre shading has really paid off and even though those tracks would have sapped your modelling mojo. They look the business now fitted.

• Thanks 1

Great looking finish, all the pre-shading has really paid off - learning some new tricks here as I know nothing about weathering armour. How did you paint the rubber tyres on the lower set of wheels? Those tracks look like a nightmare, I will be avoiding that type.

• Thanks 1

Hi Glynn. Well done with the tracks and absolutely superb work with the painting. Very impressive finish. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

Good work on the tracks, I've yet to give my (Panda) tracks a good go at assembling yet, just fiddled with a couple of bits!

Nice work on the painting/finishing, although I'm still not convinced by this pre-shading business, either on aircraft or vehicles. I just don't think it looks 'right', but that's only my opinion :D, and doesn't detract from the work you have done so far.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1