M4A3, CALLIOPE, 1/35

Hewy

Seeing as my scammell is a flat coat and some photos away from the finish line, i thought I'd have another bash at armour, so I'm entering the fray with academy's m4a3  calliope kit, as i had no luck finding some academy  photo etch for this kit i took the plunge and ordered the tamiya m4a3 set, i'll use what I can and put the rest in the spare pe box

Glynn

FjZpYEu.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/FjZpYEu.jpg

Oh1jYeD.jpg

yko1buE.jpg

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looks very impressive Glynn, :popcorn:

I've only got 2 shermans in the stash and they're both by academy, so I've  nothing to judge the detail against, i dont think they'll be a patch on modern kits though, but who cares ozzy there'll be glue on this by the end of tommorrow :P cheers

Glynn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooohh a “Screamin Mimi !” Im looking forward to this. 

I had the old Italeri version but never used the calliope parts. I still have them in my Sherman bin. 

I read the calliope tubes  was an italeri part, I think  with the early version of this kit there are location problems, I've had a look at the turret and I couldn't see where the legs fit but there's a hint on the base of the turret, a closer inspection on the morrow 

• Confused 1

IA late night modelling session has resulted in progress, all the bogeys are just about done, i'll leave them movable till they're on the hull, I've chosen the wheels, you get a choice of 3 types for the bogeys, two types of drive wheels and two of the others:worry:, i had to drill out a locating hole each side at the front to fit the hub plate, you get a choice of two in the kit, the wheels im using rattled about and didn't locate firmly on the suggested ones so i opted for the others, both identical i might add, but crisper details and no sink mark on the set I'm using, but one of the locating pins didnt line up, so i drew around the set that fit and drilled out the hole, and used the lines i drew to align them i did take a picture of the bogeys in there component parts, but have deleted it by mistake. In the box there are many parts that are doubled up with the dates on the sprues the later ones have much crisper details in most cases, and a real nicley molded 50 cal, 

Cheers,  glynn

Any one know what the letters and numbers are for on this sprue? 

8z2AzhN.jpg

AjyMeDO.jpg

Drew arond to line up the better fitting one in the box you can see how muck the locating pin was out

qYT38y6.jpg

4Q7orKe.jpg

A bit of work done today on the rear hull, and the nice "50 cal" with pe. i dont think  these were fitted to calliopes, but if any one knows differently I'll stick it on, 

q5b89rn.jpg

• Like 9

Aye up Glynn,

Nice progress. The numbers etc are so you can add casting marks to the turret etc. The numbers would correspond to which foundry would have cast the turret ;)

Regards 

Steve 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Awesome.....I'm going to enjoy following this one (will be taking notes too as I've got one to do in 1/72)!  :thumbsup:

Cheers sarge, a question if i may  on the model of tank I'm building, regarding extra armour, turret cheeks and tank sides,  and in front of the two hatches on the glacis, why some tanks and not all,  was this armour field applied or factory, and or  was it only on  certain models? Cheers in advance

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
Spelling

The turret cheek armour and sponson patches were factory applied (IIRC they had to hollow out the inner face of the turret and added the patch to compensate, it's actually cast in on some versions.  The hull applique was to cover the ammo bins and again there are some rare late (M4A1) versions with the patches cast in).  The extra patches on the glacis I'm not so sure about, but I probably know a man who is.....PM inbound.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2018 at 01:20, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The turret cheek armour and sponson patches were factory applied (IIRC they had to hollow out the inner face of the turret and added the patch to compensate, it's actually cast in on some versions.  The hull applique was to cover the ammo bins and again there are some rare late (M4A1) versions with the patches cast in).  The extra patches on the glacis I'm not so sure about, but I probably know a man who is.....PM inbound.  :coolio:

Cheers for the info boost sarge, a great read, although I've only looked at the parts relating to the type I'm building and a good job too,  as i was just about to glue the full vision cupola on,  when closer inspection and a read through the drop box folder led me to hunt down a high resolution photo of cold storage one of the tanks on the decal sheet, and its clearly the early cupola not the all round vision affair that academy would have you believe, so I'll probably be back tracking all the way through the build now:huh:, i hope I'm not a shermaholic in the making, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

Evening  all, i think I'm ready after a bit of shermanry research to carry on, not simple these were they?,  I decided to replace all the hatch handles after seeing the molded on efforts on the engine grills, and made these from copper wire,  and set to a level with a bit of plasticard, there's just the etch around the lights to do,  after the majority of the handling, bogeys are on although a little bit of bolt detail is still to be added , after being orderd on a recent shopping expedition i was delighted to hear it would include hobby craft, so i rounded up a us tank crew set, amongst other things.... Pics

LsmlI9S.jpg

And seeing as there's no internals on this kit, and I've got a crew I've detailed the inside of the drivers hatch a bit, sorry about the resolution, my daughters got my camera

qVqYgvi.jpg

W7QWzFH.jpg

I also added the arms of the fuel caps, and a bit of etch around the periscopes, pe will be added for these later, XKccbTI.jpg

Stix,  happy new year ,  you turn away now this doesn't concern you :P. , santa bought me a government work . 2 needle airbrush, only to be used with very very thin laquer paints, its from china

But to be fair the one I'm currently using is too,  and i can't fault it, but i want to try a finer needle for some freehand camo which my 3.5 doesn't do to my liking 

K8eCO23.jpg

Cheers all, happy new year 

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 6

Those figures look good Glynn, you are to be commended on you scratch building. Santa has been very kind to you, nice airbrush.

• Thanks 1

Cheers ozzy, for some reason this one didn't post

bQqDyt9.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Those figures look good Glynn, you are to be commended on you scratch building. Santa has been very kind to you, nice airbrush.

• Like 3

Hi Glynn,

I saw your post in Ozzy's thread regarding the tracks and duckbills. Have a look at this site http://shermantracks.com/assembly.html

They do the T48 rubber chevron tracks and the duckbills separately. They're easy to assemble and they are the ones that I use on all of my VVSS Shermans.

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Glynn,

I saw your post in Ozzy's thread regarding the tracks and duckbills. Have a look at this site http://shermantracks.com/assembly.html

They do the T48 rubber chevron tracks and the duckbills separately. They're easy to assemble and they are the ones that I use on all of my VVSS Shermans.

HTH's.

John.

Thanks john, if i could quiz you heres my rubber tracks

LncIKgx.jpg

And here are the tracks on the tank i want to depict

HJTRXHw.jpg

They're not the same are they? They look like metal to me, which  ones do i need? Is it a set of the t54e type

Many thanks in advance

Glynn 

• Like 3

They are definitely metal Glynn, they look like the T-62 / T-54E steel chevron type. You would be able to get both from Johns link, that's a cracking photo of a Sherman unleashing the fury.

• Thanks 1