M32B1

specky

Hi everyone

This....

DSCN0645

....looked like it could be an interesting build, right up until the point that I opened the box....

DSCN0644

....OMG, flat-pack hull, 8 part bogies and link and length tracks - no thank you! So it has festered at the bottom of the stash ever since, but now I have a plan!

This...

DSCN0646

...gives me everything from the turret ring down in about a dozen pieces to which I can add the good bits from UM and there are a lot of good bits : separate tools, PE light guards and, obviously, the recovery 'turret' and associated gear.

Finally, I may be able to add an M32 to the collection!

Roll on, well, tomorrow

Craig

• Like 4

I had a similar sinking feeling when I unboxed my UM Firefly purchased for this GB :poo: - Except that I don't have a Plan B and I'm just going to have to "suck it in" and do what I can with such a terrifying collection of parts :banghead:

Good luck with your build.

IanJ

Don't sweat it guys, the only really big weakness with the UM Sherman kits is the running gear, mostly the tracks (the track pads are too narrow and the end connector pins too wide).....The problem isn't massively noticeable unless the viewer is a Sherman nut (but I suspect you might find a few of those in this particular section of the forum).  UM even include a jig for bending the brass return skids, so that shouldn't be a worry and as I recall they replaced any incorrect roadwheels in newer releases (not in mine though, typically enough).

As for building L&L, it's a doddle, so long as you don't rush it and don't paint the parts first.....I'm building UM Shermans myself, so I'll go through it step by step.....I was going to replace all my tracks, but I'll do at least one OOTB if it will help you out at all.  :coolio:

PS - As you are building in the 'righteous scale of justice' my spares box is at your disposal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

sorry, but I've no idea how to work the 'quote' option, so...

Cheers Ozzy, I aim to please!

Ian, I feel your pain but it seems the Sarge is on hand with a wealth of invaluable hints and tips!

and Sarge, I will be paying attention and taking notes on what will, I'm sure, be something of a masterclass, but to be honest, I get a degree of perverse satisfaction from 'kit-bashing' and so I shall persevere with my UM/Plastic Soldier hybrid - at least until it reaches the point where its very obviously not going to work!

So, we're off and running, but before I forget, here's the Plastic Soldier sprue shot that I missed off yesterday

DSCN0647

As you can see, its a 'wargamer' kit, identical in concept to 'Armourfast', but for my tastes, far superior with the exception of the most 'unusual' attempt at a D50878 turret I think I've ever seen on a kit. Compare the shape difference with a resin copy of a Dragon turret I cast years ago..

DSCN0649

...odd, to say the least! But of no consequence on this build - so straight in the bin

The big news, now I've been able to snip parts from the sprues, is that the UM upper hull is an almost perfect match to the PS lower - so that saves me a fair bit of work. The only real issue is that PS omitted, I assume for tooling reasons, the cut-out on the rear of the upper, so the extreme rear panel of the lower hull is about 4 mm too short

DSCN0653

A little extension and some scratched, full height airfilters and maybe even some exhaust pipes should do the trick there.

The hull interior, although not super visible, will benefit from a floor & something to suggest the racking for tools & spares that might just be seen through the turret ring, so plenty to be getting on with

More to come

Craig

• Like 3

Hi everyone

So ... at the third time of asking, I finally have an acceptable interior. There's not much to it and so God only knows why it took so long to knock-up something that was only ever intended to clutter-up an otherwise suspiciously vacant void! No 'before' photo I'm afraid. it has literally just stopped raining for the first time since last year, so I grabbed everything & raced to the garage to fire-up the airbrush...

DSCN0659

....see, I told you it wasn't much! and its even less with the top on...

DSCN0661

...and its even less with the turret in place. (I'm going to keep calling it the 'turret' until someone corrects me, because I'm sure there is a proper technical name, but I've not been able to find it)

In other news, whist searching t' internet for 'M32 interior', I found loads of 1/35 builds paired with what appear to be 10 CWT trailers, which is a result, since I have loads of those from assorted Airfix & Heller Jeep kits :D

DSCN0658

More to come, and before I forget, all the best to everyone for 2018!

Craig

• Like 3

Had a closer look at your kit parts, it seems you have the corrected five spoke roadwheels, no idea if they are appropriate for your subject but you are safe to use them if they are.  :nerd:

If you are going to try using the UM L&L you need to assemble your 'Track-Return Skid Jig' and give it some time to set, check my thread if you aren't sure where this is or how to use it.....If you are not planning on building the UM L&L track is there any chance I could scrounge your five-spoked roadwheels, they would be an absolute godsend to me (happy to cover postage, offer parts in return etc.)?  :pray:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

So ... after waaaaay more messing around than I'd anticipated, this little rascal is almost ready for some paint

DSCN0665DSCN0673

DSCN0672

As you can probably tell from the variety of colours, there's a fair mix of UM. Plastic Soldier and even a bit of Airfix, plus the inevitable plastic card, but I think its fair to say that had I realised just how poor the design and fit is of some of the UM parts, I would have made far more use of card and scratched my own parts rather than struggle to make use of stuff that really just doesn't fit!

There's still a little clean-up & some tiny parts too add (and the drive sprockets do actually fit better than it looks in these photos!) but I'm feeling way more positive about this now, so next time you see it, it'll be all 'OD'

Cheers

Craig

• Like 5

That's a bloody marvellous bit of kitbashing there fella, you've really improved the look of the QB parts with the new sprockets and saved yourself soooooooo much pain by dodging the UM running gear!  :coolio:

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

but not quite sure whats attached to or mounted next to the Right drive sprocket ? 

It's an extra-powerful winch.....Break the track, attach a tow cable, hey-presto, 350hp on tap!  ;)

PS - @specky I notice you have a horn, and it's UM plastic.....I need to check my sprues again.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

So .... I've got some paint on this, but had a bit of a heart stopper when the gloss coat when on and it immediately darkened to an almost monotone, uniform colour. But I pushed on with decals & pin washes and the matt coat, Tamiya TS-80, has recovered almost all the fading/highlight effects - result!

DSCN0687

DSCN0686

DSCN0685

These ultra close-up images are truly merciless aren't they? Suddenly I can see all sorts of mould joint lines & sink marks, but I swear it looks fine to the naked eye!

The track runs need a bit of repainting ,Tamiya 'German Grey' isn't really dark enough for the rubber links & I think I've gone a bit OTT with the 'rusty' effect guide horns & end connectors, so there's a bit more experimenting to be done there.

Sarge, if you're still looking for the horn, its part 30 on sprue B, which I would imagine is generic since it contains the lower hull parts & tools.

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 4