Dragon Sherman Firely Hybrid Hull

DWC1968

Hi all, this kit was kindly donated to my stash by Kayell, my fourth completed armour build(usually shiny four wheeled things}. Hope I've done it justice mate.

Kit is straight from the box with a few bits and piece's of stowage added.

Base is cast from plaster using different bits I have until I got the shape and size I required.

'Weathering' is different dust coats made from dried clay and ink pigments.

The crew is various parts bent,chopped,glued and sworn at until I got them to sit how i wanted to the best of my ability.

As always comments,tips and advice welcome.

Cheers Dave.

DSCF4027.jpg
DSCF4028.jpg
DSCF4029.jpg
DSCF4030.jpg
DSCF4031.jpg
DSCF4032.jpg
DSCF4033.jpg
DSCF4034.jpg
DSCF4035.jpg
DSCF4036.jpg
DSCF4037.jpg
DSCF4038.jpg

• Like 16

Tremendous Firefly,  what's not to like, on a base, extra storage that's tied down, articulation in the suspension bogey (if thats the correct terminology) crossing the kerb and it has staff!

Are the tracks Dragons individual link ones and if so are they as big of a pain to assemble as they look to be in the box?

Thanks Darryl 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Tremendous Firefly,  what's not to like, on a base, extra storage that's tied down, articulation in the suspension bogey (if thats the correct terminology) crossing the kerb and it has staff!

Are the tracks Dragons individual link ones and if so are they as big of a pain to assemble as they look to be in the box?

Thanks Darryl 

Hi Darryl

Thanks for the kind words.

They are the Dragon tracks and as my first set of individual links I am going to say yes they were a pain but worth it in the end if only for the kerb bit you pointed out.

Cheers Dave

Nice model. One thing. On the right side near the shovel there is two bars. The longer one is metal, but the shorter is the handle for the pick. If you done the shovel handle wooden, thus one should be wood as well. Do not worry, many modellers doing is as metal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice model. One thing. On the right side near the shovel there is two bars. The longer one is metal, but the shorter is the handle for the pick. If you done the shovel handle wooden, thus one should be wood as well. Do not worry, many modellers doing is as metal.

Hi Kris, thank you for the comment and pointing out my error it will be wood by end of play today.

Cheers Dave.

Edited by DWC1968

Great job on this build mate all the little extras set it off just right and the figures have come up a treat will look great on the table

Hope you did not work to hard over the festive period when the rest of us where out enjoying ourselves  :drink:

Best wishes for the new year

Keith

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Great job on this build mate all the little extras set it off just right and the figures have come up a treat will look great on the table

Hope you did not work to hard over the festive period when the rest of us where out enjoying ourselves  :drink:

Best wishes for the new year

Keith

Hi Keith, Thanks for the comment, I finished my shifts yesterday morning so nice couple of days off before new years day and back to work, no rest for the wicked,

Have a great new year mate and catch you at the club in a few weeks time.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve27752 said:

I love your Sherman, the attention to detail is very impressive...........Down to the thread bare tarp.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the comment, the 'tarp' was made from a piece of material stolen from the better half's craft box, soaked in pigments then ripped to suit, not sure what it is though but was the best from the handful I 'borrowed' and tried.

Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave,

Nice composition with the figures and stowage arranged like that. I like the Firefly riding over the curb and showing the suspension displacement.

But I particularly like the base with the block paving and the bits of greenery.

Just a couple of suggestions for improvement?

Firstly the guys' uniforms are a bit glossy and could do with a coat of matt varnish. They will benefit greatly from just that one small and easy fix. You've done a great job on them otherwise. The headphones are really good, not the huge bulky things we often get to see. 

Secondly, I can't see any obvious signs of 'washes' having been applied to the Sherman. While powders have their place in weathering, washes and pin washes will be the first port of call for most people. They will help to add depth, bring out details, impart tonal and colour variation, and create fading. Dry powders can't do all of that on their own.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Badder, thanks for comment and advice, the uniforms have been done as it wasnt until i took the pics that they looked shiny.

My new light box that i tried out doesn't particularly show up the tonal variations in the paint job or the weathering under the dust layers, that said I didn't want on over oily,muddy look to this build, I was attempting to go for urban brick, concrete dust.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 2

Looks cracking Dave, I know how hard it can be to get 1/35 figures looking Matt in photographs even in larger scale. They are matt in the flesh but satin in photo. The base work is superb and overall is a brilliant effort you should be proud of 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Looks cracking Dave, I know how hard it can be to get 1/35 figures looking Matt in photographs even in larger scale. They are matt in the flesh but satin in photo. The base work is superb and overall is a brilliant effort you should be proud of 👍

Cheers mate, I've since drowned the little buggers in more matt and this seems to have worked.

Have a cracking new year mate.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1