What is this?

jannie

Hi guys

A year or so ago I asked my local hobby shop owner if he can recommend a "better" decal softener than the average solution you can find - something more like the old Polly Scale decal softener (not available for years now but was extremely potent stuff, somebody on an American model forum jokingly said that it would probably destroy vinyl flooring if you spilled it on the floor). Anyway, the owner proudly told me about the new Vallejo line he now carries and then sold me a bottle of Vallejo 73.212 "Decal Medium" (smaller print underneath says "Decal softener"). Whatever this stuff is, it ain't "Decal Softener" - tried to use it as such and I ended up with a gooey film on top of the decal. I am going through my stash this morning and found this bottle again - was on the verge of chucking it in the bin but then thought of trying to find out what the stuff actually is. So I found this description on  the web somewhere: "It improves the adherence of the decal and prevents the formation of air bubbles. It also acts as a cleaner and helps prepare the surface of the model before applying the decal." So obviously you have to apply it to the surface of the model BEFORE the decal. Has anyone ever used this stuff, and would you say that it made your life easier?

Edited by jannie
Typos

On 12/28/2017 at 9:34 PM, jannie said:

Has anyone ever used this stuff, and would you say that it made your life easier?

Not by a long shot. The ‘Decal Fix’ stuff is more akin to the glue you get on the back of decals. And the ‘Decal Medium’ seems to be no good to man nor beast (at least on softening modern Airfix decals).

I’ll stick to me Micro Set/Sol for the time being.

whHGPqk.jpg?1 Poop!

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco