'FACE OFF' CONTINUED....

Badder

Bits and pieces of work done.

Spare track links fixed to the hull sides. These just need a bit of whitewash. I left two off figuring they've been used already.

Headlamp lens fitted. I really should have given it a silver backing, but forgot. Too late now.

Bow MG just requires drilling out, a bit of whitewash on the swivel mount, and a wash, and that will be ready for fitting.

Some more dark earth wash was applied to the frontal armour.

R2UDT24.jpg

As is usual, the camera shows up the oversights.... mould line on the 50cal mount.  The 50cal needs drilling out and the fitting of the handles/trigger. Decal to be applied to the ammo box, and the mount needs some whitewash.

xp6dL7o.jpg

Light lenses are well messy and need tidying up. Stowage shelf fitted and temporarily carrying spare track links.

acO3fXq.jpg

At this point in time I'm thinking that none of the recent photos are doing the Sherman justice.

TFL

Badder

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Your worn whitewash and weathering is all coming together nicely. And I agree - we could do with some photos in better lighting! :tease::winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix  

My Mrs has a great spotlight which she got for doing her paintings, but she won't let me borrow it. In fact she's hidden it so I can't even use it when she's out!

Maybe she'll trust me if she's present? I will try later. Although the gloss finish might not show it up at its best.

Reaguards

Badder

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Badder, even without Mrs Badders spot lamp she's looking fantastic.

Thanks Ozzy,

It's a really weird thing with winter camo.

In some light it looks great and I'm really pleased with it, then the light changes and I think it just looks like a horrible mess. The same applies for the look of it in the photos.

Possibly the gloss finish isn't helping in that respect at the moment. I've always thought winter camo is THE hardest paint job to pull off and this build is only reinforcing that belief!

I am really looking forward to throwing on the last of the mud and grass/straw though. There's going to be a fair bit of it!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Looking great, I’ve been thinking of trying a whitewash and there’s a kit I have my eye on at my LHS (the new dragon Hummel with winterketten) so there’s tons of helpful info on here. I might pick that kit up later this week on payday! Good stuff!

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I know what you mean about the different light effect, I've had that with some of my whitewashed kits.

It's why I go for dirty and worn. Gleaming white just doesn't look right. At least, not when I do it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meteors said:

Looking great, I’ve been thinking of trying a whitewash and there’s a kit I have my eye on at my LHS (the new dragon Hummel with winterketten) so there’s tons of helpful info on here. I might pick that kit up later this week on payday! Good stuff!

Thanks Meteors,

Good choice of model. I love the whole breed. 

This is my Tamiya Nashorn, which is no longer with us. It was my first winter camo, though it looks a bit yellowy here! Poor thing fell to pieces not long after this pic was taken.

3uVzIes.jpg

This was 3 colour camo, acrylics, with acrylic varnish then enamel whitewash, rubbed back to expose camo. Then more varnish and more washes. Finally I added snow... not seen in this photo. That was bicarb, fixed in place with hairspray lacquer collected in a jar and dabbed on with a brush. I then decided I didn't like it, and removed the bicarb by rinsing and brushing under a cold tap. That's when the sides fell off and the gun disintegrated. Seconds later the Nashorn met its end on the tap. Bear in mind that I'd constructed and painted the entire model before this, but made a right mess, and had then spent 2 weeks stripping it entirely back to the plastic. So you can imagine why I was so angry when it fell apart!

I have promised to get myself another, one day.

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some photos taken indoors, in a fake exterior made up with dirty gravel and weeds under a mini-sun contained within a megamagnetic field.

I lie. I took them outdoors.

AQGkbGg.jpg

IVa8hEl.jpg

aCtn9nT.jpg

Nkqp0Mr.jpg

I hope you all agree that this looks much better in natural light (It still has a gloss coat, but some of that is dulled by washes.

Now I was hoping to get the .50cal, bow MG, a tow cable made up, and lots of grassy mud applied, but I am extremely tired and will probably fall asleep very shor....

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Hi Badder. Now that looks much, much better!! You can see all the work that has gone into the whitewash and the finish very clearly. That really is a superbly damaged whitewash finish. Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice outdoor pictures Badder, if you wait a day or two there may be some snow on the ground.

Thanks Ozzy,

Oh I do wish that were so. Then I wouldn't have to go to work!

Rearguards,

Badder

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Like it badder, the daylight shots really bring it to life

Glynn 

Hi Glynn,

Yeah, unfortunately I have to work mostly under low energy lightbulbs (well, in the evenings anyway) so the photos taken then are never very good, even with the flash.

I'm debating whether to use white oils on it. Just to make it 'pop' in a few places...... what do you reckon?

Rearguards,

Badder

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Now that looks much, much better!! You can see all the work that has gone into the whitewash and the finish very clearly. That really is a superbly damaged whitewash finish. Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix,

much appreciated. So when are you going to try a full winter camo? The Tamiya T34 would be a cheap option to try it out on perhaps???

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mrs hewy's mad for those  low energy bulbs too, so I've smuggled 2  5500k ones into my modelling pen and kept shtum, :P, never done a winter camo,  but badder,  I'm a chancer at painting mate,  I'll try new styles,  but to be honest,  winging it is more my bag, i just let the paint finish develop, i like to think i have a plan but i don't :think:, so i dont really feel i could point you in a better direction than your already going, all i can say is if you want to do it go for it, you can always give it a bath of ipa if you dont like it, 

Glynn 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hewy said:

all i can say is if you want to do it go for it, you can always give it a bath of ipa if you dont like it, 

Glynn 

IPA, that's about all it's good for!:sick:

I will ponder the oils. And maybe test it out on the front armour plate first.

Rearguards,

Badder

I am planning on adding some crew to the Sherman - probably the commander and maybe the driver, but the MG gunner will be absent. So, I am thinking I had better model some of the interior as seen through his hatch. Now, I don't want to go crazy scratch building his 'cockpit' in immaculate detail, but I do want it to look believable. I am thinking of making something in paper, with details painted and drawn on.

So, does anyone have a few photos looking down inside the hatch?

Cheers,

Badder

56 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

She looks superb Badder. The finished effect is wonderful :clap: 

Thanks Wimbledon,

I barely got anything done today due to falling asleep. But I've just got the .50cal painted up, glossed and ready for the decal before washes and a rub over with a graphite stick.

That'll be done tomorrow along with the fitting of the bow MG. I'm also going to make an aerial. There just aren't enough aerials in this GB!

And if anyone is kind enough to supply photos of the bow gunner's 'cockpit' I'll start on making that too.

Rearguards,

Badder

20 hours ago, Badder said:

IPA, that's about all it's good for!:sick:

I will ponder the oils. And maybe test it out on the front armour plate first.

Rearguards,

Badder

Now i wouldn't   mind the officer's undiluted ipa before it was sent to  the rank and file's mess, powerfull brew that, rather than the cats #

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks Stix,

much appreciated. So when are you going to try a full winter camo? The Tamiya T34 would be a cheap option to try it out on perhaps???

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. I will have to have a go at a proper winter camo at some point. I have a few possible candidates but you are right, the Tamiya T34 could be a good idea. It won’t be for a while yet as I have a pretty full build calendar at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I've added mud/grass to the frontal armour, a bit beneath the sponsons, and more on the tracks. I then gave everything beneath the sponsons, and the overhanging armour plate a spray with gloss, and everything above the side fenders a spray with matt. Any further weathering, which won't be much, will be done with powders.

yrMKrob.jpg

lX64rjw.jpg

jD1W3jL.jpg

CFnlnFR.jpg

5cyREPl.jpg

PLqxupq.jpg

s94SY4l.jpg

TFL

Badder

• Like 3