'FACE OFF' CONTINUED....

Badder

With regards to your airbrush problems, I use a couple of products that I picked up at Telford. They are Foaming Airbrush Cleaner and Liquid Reamer. The first one is great for generally cleaning up the recently used, dried paint, and the Reamer is a solvent that will dissolve just about anything. I use it roughly every four to five sessions when I want to give the airbrush a thorough clean.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Looking good. Aha, another Winsor and Newton user :)

Unfortunately possibly bad news for you on the Atzek (looks very similar to the A430). I had an A470 years ago and the sticking pin problem (that pushes the nozzle pin) has become infamous. I know of 2 other modellers who had the same problem, it's a design fault in the body and I'm not sure whether body can be prised apart. Aztek (aka Testors I think) had a lifetime guarantee and one of my friends got it mended under guarantee only for it to break again. All I can say is don't force the trigger if it won't move, I did and it broke.

Hi Foggy, LTNC,

Hope you are well?

As you say I'm pretty sure it's the pin. It was stuck, but I freed it up with a soak in bleach and a bit of encouragement from the end of a needle file.. However, today I noticed that the pin is actually bent. That was probably due to the needle file. I noticed it was bent because when I take the nozzle out and put it back in again sometimes the needle doesn't rest on the pin, but slips down the side of it! I don't want to try bending the pin straight, cos we all know what'll happen then! With a few trial and error fittings, I can get the pin and needle lined up properly and the airbrush works fine then. I will just have to put up with it until I can afford a new airbrush.

Thanks again,

Rearguards

Badder

Right, I did some yellow/green washes to 'fade' the OD in places.... Well, the hull was more of a test-bed. The diff-cover got a treatment, and the result was okay, though very subtle. The added armour plate and the mud will cover all that up. The HVSS units got a bit as well, just on the torsion bars along the top, and the central 'drum' things. Again the results are very subtle and I'm not even sure they will be noticeable in even the best light. With that minor experiment completed and consigned to the 'Maybe this will work better on lighter colour schemes', I decided to crack on with getting this thing dirty.

So, out came my Japanese 'Grit Paints', Humbrol Dark Earth Weathering Powder, water, an old stiff brush, and a clean dry brush for cleaning up 'over-dab'.

I glooped dark sand Grit Paint onto a piece of plastic, and mixed in the weathering powder, then applied it to the hull using the stiff brush in a dabbing motion. I varied the ratios of powder to paint at times, to add some variety. I cleaned up any 'mud' that got onto the return rollers' tyres by wiping with a dry brush.

However, my last action was to add a drop of water to the 'mud' and then dab this inside the return rollers, again wiping off any excess that got onto the tyres.

This was the preliminary application of mud. More will follow, with grass/straw mixed in.

fjZozLa.jpg

HNnKFS7.jpg

jzoKGBj.jpg

AArSo2X.jpg

KY6L0hY.jpg

The HVSS units will get the same treatment, though not so heavy.

For those who don't know, my Grit Paints are acrylic based and water soluble. They dry with a rubbery texture, and for now I am happy to apply other treatments over the top. Enamel washes work well, causing no damage, but eventually I will apply a satin varnish over the 'mud' in readiness for the snow/ice effects,

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Foggy, LTNC,

Hope you are well?

I noticed it was bent because when I take the nozzle out and put it back in again sometimes the needle doesn't rest on the pin, but slips down the side of it! I don't want to try bending the pin straight, cos we all know what'll happen then!

I'm ok, just keeping a low profile so that 'life' shoots over my head and leaves me alone :)

That's impressive to bend the needle and not break it. Yeah the back end of those nozzles have a small surface area, easy to miss if you've got a bent one. :whistle:

If you need a new airbrush ASAP look at the H&S ultra for £60, with the bonus that you can use the needle assembly in the rest of the (more expensive) range later on. Got the Ultra myself and one day I'll go further up the range and keep the ultra for primers/metallics etc.

Nice gooey mud you've got there

5 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

rThat's impressive to bend the needle and not break it.

It's not the needle that bent, it's the pin inside that pushes the needle forward. :blush:

7 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

If you need a new airbrush ASAP look at the H&S ultra for £60, with the bonus that you can use the needle assembly in the rest of the (more expensive) range later on. Got the Ultra myself and one day I'll go further up the range and keep the ultra for primers/metallics etc.

I did have a look at some airbrushes on line a year or more ago, and was quite liking one in particular around the 200 quid mark. I've forgotten what it was now though. I do artwork as well so figured a top of the range one with a broad usage would be cheaper in the long run. But I will certainly have a look at the cheaper end now that a new airbrush is IMPERATIVE!

10 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Nice gooey mud you've got there

Thanks. It was still wet when I took those photos. It dries matt, but I will be using satin/gloss varnishes to get it looking wet again in places.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Badder,  the chinese are a very innovative race of people, and some of the items they produce, the i phone amongst them are leaders in their  field, somtimes they can replicate a product and sell it at a fraction of the price,....  I've just received an air brush for Christmas,, £19, great tool, hasn't  broke the bank, just saying

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Your hull is looking very nice, those grit paints you got have come in very handy.

Cheers mate,

They certainly do! I'm being more adventurous with them nowadays, mixing with other products and materials. I'll be mixing in chopped up static grass soon and mixing that in as well.

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Badder,  the chinese are a very innovative race of people, and some of the items they produce, the i phone amongst them are leaders in their  field, somtimes they can replicate a product and sell it at a fraction of the price,....  I've just received an air brush for Christmas,, £19, great tool, hasn't  broke the bank, just saying

Glynn 

Hi Glynn,

Whilst I understand your reasoning I do have an aversion to Chinese products - mainly due to the fact that one of their fan heaters very nearly killed me, and could have killed my wife as well if I hadn't been present to stop the resulting electrical fire behind my sofa. And the thing was it was the second Chinese fan heater to 'pack up' on me in a week. Every other Chinese product I've purchased has also broken or packed up, so you'll understand my reticence. And then there's the moral issues as well, importing products produced by cheap labour and undercutting our own manufacturers for example.

Still, I do like their fireworks. It's okay if they catch fire and blow up. :D

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 3

HVSS units muddied up using just the darker tone for now.  Basically I slapped the gloop on all over, then wiped it off of the tyres. I also ran a wet brush around the inside of the wheel hubs, turning the mud into more of a wash. I will be applying more washes to the hull and suspension units to help unify the colours and tones.

Pics later when everything is dry.

Badder

19 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Glynn,

Whilst I understand your reasoning I do have an aversion to Chinese products - mainly due to the fact that one of their fan heaters very nearly killed me, and could have killed my wife as well if I hadn't been present to stop the resulting electrical fire behind my sofa. And the thing was it was the second Chinese fan heater to 'pack up' on me in a week. Every other Chinese product I've purchased has also broken or packed up, so you'll understand my reticence. And then there's the moral issues as well, importing products produced by cheap labour and undercutting our own manufacturers for example.

Still, I do like their fireworks. It's okay if they catch fire and blow up. :D

Rearguards,

Badder.

Fair do's badder, not nice nearly being killed by cheap imports

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Fair do's badder, not nice nearly being killed by cheap imports

I wasn't sure which I might die from.... the electrical sparks blasting from the split in the cable just below the plug, the flames making their way up the cable and threatening the back of the settee, or smoke inhalation. Pretty thankful of the bang that woke me up and alerted me to it really. (I'd fallen asleep downstairs watching tv while the wife was in bed in the room above)

• Like 1

Bogies dry fitted.

TNBjdxY.jpg

qcHnQYN.jpg

u3Qh087.jpg

As is usually the case, the camera picks up all those little imperfections (except for on my hansom face)

But in this case it is a deliberate ploy. I'm using the camera to show me where I need to clean up a bit - primarily the tyres. The chewed end of a toothpick, dipped in water, will be the tool used to remove some 'errant' grit and mud.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Applying water washes to the grit paint moves the pigment, but also releases the grit which then sticks in place. This has some beneficial results, making the mud look more realistic. However, as I said, I don't want the grit which has now stuck to the tyres.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looking rather good in it's muddy coating! Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

I've just added mud and grass to the bogies, possibly too much, but if that turns out to be the case I can remove it with a bit of prodding with a toothpick.

Pics to follow shortly.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

That mud looks great there Badder.

I was concerned that you'd not used enough on the return rolllers in the earlier photos, but it looks right in the later images :)

Hi Robert,

Ah, now. see, what I did was took the photos before I touched the rollers, but posted as if I had! :D

In other news... I am not a happy bunny.  The image hosting site I use has just announced that it is closing down. FCOL!

I've got over 1000 pics to recover and find homes for now!

grrrrrrrr!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Sad 2

YES, YOU READ RIGHT. THE IMAGE HOSTING SITE I NOW USE -HostingPics - HAS ANNOUNCED IT IS TO CLOSE DOWN. FCOL!

So that's all of my 'Ever Evolving Dio' pics and those for this thread I've got to 'rescue'.

FCOL!:rage::rage::rage:

AND ALREADY, IT'S NOT LETTING ME UPLOAD PICS.

• Sad 1

Ouch thats going to hurt with your evolving Dio build. Thats one of my daily reads. I hope things get sorted pretty easy and quickly on that front. On this front excellent work on the mud and sherman in general. It really is looking properly used. 

Dennis

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ouch thats going to hurt with your evolving Dio build. Thats one of my daily reads. I hope things get sorted pretty easy and quickly on that front. On this front excellent work on the mud and sherman in general. It really is looking properly used. 

Dennis

I could cry Dennis.

But I'm a Wilshurmun an' we dunt croy 'less ar turrrnips be eattun boi the raaaabits.

• Like 2

I'm using both Imgur & Flickr.....The former is slightly more user friendly, the latter easier to set up (if you have a Yahoo! e-mail). 

Love what you've done with the mud, gutsy move and it's worked out beautifully, the rear hull plate in particular looks utterly foul.....You can almost smell it! 

Maybe drag some verical streaks into some of the wetter bits, give the imression of the mud moving?

33 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm using both Imgur & Flickr.....The former is slightly more user friendly, the latter easier to set up (if you have a Yahoo! e-mail). 

Love what you've done with the mud, gutsy move and it's worked out beautifully, the rear hull plate in particular looks utterly foul.....You can almost smell it! 

Maybe drag some verical streaks into some of the wetter bits, give the imression of the mud moving?

I'm going to go for Flickr I think, though what happens when that goes the way of PB, I dread to think! I'm trying to download my pics from HP, but it's taking an age with ' long running script'  messages etc.

Although I have a lot of pics saved on a USB, I got lazy at times, so I know I'm going to have a few hundred to recover for my Dio WIP and this GB. GRRRRRR.

As for the mud, I said some time ago that I was going for REALLY dirty 'down there', so the mud you see at the moment is in the process of being added to with sods of wet mud and grass on the bogies and on the hull.

When it's all dry I will dry-fit the bogies and have a look at everything. I suspect I may have gone a bit OTT, but that's easily solved. I'm now going to Flickr to set up an account as HP has stopped accepting new photos.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sounds like you are using IE, try working in Chrome.

Cheers. Will give it a go sometime. Not now though.

Badder

Mud and grass added. A mix of sand coloured grit paint, dark earth weathering powder, static grass and gloss varnish, applied with a stiff brush/toothpick. The grass is all a bit wild, but when I've dry-fitted the bogies to the hull I'll assess everything and 'do some weeding' where necessary.

ms4C45J.jpg

E4L4lvE.jpg

NboiY6i.jpg

tlzF0zN.jpg

dmB8tua.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6