Sgt.Squarehead's 'Shermanicus Genericus'

Sgt.Squarehead

Nearly.....Still sticking small parts on them.  Barring any issues tonight we should be good for primer tomorrow.  :pray:

Prominent amongst these small parts are the lift rings I mentioned earlier.....UM have decided to include each and every one as a pre-made part and true to form they've mounted them on the sprue in idiot fashion.  Consequently cleaning them up is taking longer than it would to just make them with stretched sprue.  UM clearly paid to have these parts designed and included on the sprue, presumably in an attempt to impress, so someone at UM has a pretty good handle on the sort of levels of detail that Braillers (as opposed to kids or casual builders of small scale armour) like, but they also seem to have little idea of how to implement it.  I would have been a lot more impressed with simple holes marking the appropriate spots on the hull & turret for drilling and the inclusion of a suitable length of wire plus a plastic 'lift-ring former' (much as they have done for the track-return skids and brush-guards), I suspect it would have worked out cheaper for them too.  :rolleyes:

Then there's the tail-lights.....

• Like 3

I'm really struggling to get finished.....Nearly got myself into big trouble with the family over the weekend, I almost missed my Niece's birthday!  :doh:

NowTheyAreFightingGoddammit

It's not getting any better on the build front either, every single tool so far has either been pre-broken on the sprue, or has broken during removal from the sprue, or during the considerable cleanup that each and every part requires.....It's an uphill battle with these kits, it really is.  :wall:

• Sad 2

Now that I've admitted defeat and accepted that I won't get them finished they seem to be cooperating a bit more.....I got two whole hammers off the sprue and onto the models intact!  :yahoo:

I have high hopes for my axes & shovels.  ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Shhhhh.....Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually trying to trick them into being finished without any further fighting, thus far they haven't caught on.....We have both axes & shovels and all intact too!  :yahoo:

Pics shortly.....If I act too soon they might realise what I'm up to and spontaneously explode or something!  :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Got all the plastic done finally, but the etch is completely useless.....So I am using Dragon's M4A1 etched parts instead (don't worry, they're spares, Dragon did things properly back then). :rolleyes:

These stupid little kits simply will not be permitted to defeat me.....Not now, not ever.  :mellow:

All the metal & plastic parts that are going to be fitted to these models (for now at least) have been fitted, and the primer is finally on:

PrimeTimeTrio

I'd like to have done more with the stowage, but I can't find most of my bits right now.....TBH I just want these done and unstowed suits me fine.  :mellow:

Sgt.Squarehead - 3, Mallet - 0  :yahoo:

PS - I've straightened the blade sight on the left side model and removed the whopping dog hair from the one in the middle since seeing this image!  :D

PPS - I've also now remembered what was nagging at me the whole time I was working on these last night and taken a razor-saw to the turret cheek applique, to vaguely represent the weld seam that should be visible there.....The primer has since been repaired.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Just for giggles, here's the whole M4A1 gang:

TheWholeGang

The lack of stowage is pretty noticeable next to their elder brethren.....I'll have to fix it.  :rolleyes:

PS - This has given me the perfect excuse to fix a couple of things about those ESCI kits that have been bugging me since I built them around a decade ago.....Since this photo was taken they have both been upgraded with full length M3 guns (my fault originally, but ESCI contributed by moulding them in a silly way) and co-axial machineguns (entirely their fault originally).  :D

• Like 8

Hi Sarge

If you need stowage SHQ miniatures do some metal stowage packs for very reasonable prices.

Looking good!

All the best

• Like 1

I've got some Ben.....I just can't find the bloody things!  I found a couple of Calibre 72 items (I should have loads) and some unidentified tat in a ziploc, so I used what I could, but to properly match the stowage on the other two kits everything needs to be 'bedded in' with netting or tarps etc. then tied down, which will take donkeys.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hope you finish these Sarge, I'm back to building airplanes to try and get my mojo back, but will get the Achilles done, if its the death of me!!

:goodjob:

and good luck

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Hi Sarge. Great to see these are still progressing and I shall be looking out for them in the Gallery tomorrow - sleep is overrated anyway! ;)

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

I'll finish them, but the gallery just isn't going to happen sadly, I've resigned myself to that fact and am back to adding stowage, I'd rather finish them properly than rush it and have to redo it all later.  :fraidnot:

I never actually stop building Shermans TBH.....At present I have over ten at various stages approaching completion, you simply cannot have too many, it's just not technically possible.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A cracking job with some pretty difficult kits. After all the pain to build them it would be a shame to rush the painting and stowage.

Cheers guys, I'm actually pretty pleased at how they look with the primer on them, it's hidden all of my improvisation and blended the myriad bits into a whole.....I now have to repeat the process of course to blend in the stowage, but it will be worth it in the long run,  :coolio:

• Like 2

Shame you never made it for the Gallery, Sarge, but like you said, better to do things properly than rush. Luckily I got to a stage where I COULD call mine finished even though it wasn't.

Yours are going to look smart, I'm sure.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 12:15 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'll finish them, but the gallery just isn't going to happen sadly

Yeah, it's a shame that you never made the deadline but you have to remember that modelling is supposed to be enjoyable and, fundamentally, you do it to please yourself (unless your a pot hunter of course), not for others. So take your time and finish is the way you want, otherwise it'll always nag you in the back of your mind.

• Like 1