Back at the Workbench:its been a while!

224 Peter

I thought I'd introduce myself.

I've been modelling, mostly RAF aircraft, since, oh, about 1960...

Joined IPMS in 1964 or 65, my membership number is 224. 

The last kit I built and finished was in the late 70s, but before then it was the Revell 1/32 Mosquito in 1974.

With a globe trotting career, including 8 house moves from 1975 onwards, wife, kids and pets making kits took a bit of a back seat, although I did set up what is now IPMS Avon in 1981 and stated a few.

Over the last 15 or so years I've been buying, so have a stash that will keep me going for a while! 

So, now age 65 and semi retired I'm back, the first step is finishing 3 kits I started in the 1970s. The big Airfix Harrier, a conversion to the GR3 based on an article by Alan Hall and the Revell 1/32 scale Hurricane and Typhoon complete with hand painted markings. 

Since the 80s much has changed, new materials, new techniques, so a lot to learn. For these three it is Humbrol paints and a series of brushes, and amazingly most of my 40+ year old Humbrol tinlets are, with a lot of mixing, still good!

Peter

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric Mc said:

I ask the same question of myself sometimes. Make sure you get to the Salisbury IPMS show in 2018. Us Farnborough lot are regular attendees.

I'm going to go to my first IPMS Meeting since about 1981 on 2nd Jan.

So it is very probable that I'll be at the Salisbury show. 

I suspect so, but some of the older ones, like Richard Ward, are sadly no more. 

This return to obsessive modelling, is intended to help me deal with retirement, which looms. 

Not because my employer wants me to go, but because increasingly I feel that the time is approaching when it is better to move on, rather than outstay my welcome. 

I wish I was in your shoes. However, I've a few more years (at least) of work left. I do work for myself so I may try to reduce my hours in a couple of years time. Too many models and not enough time.

I knew Dick Ward quite well - as he was a regular at Farnborough IPMS meetings. He'll be sadly missed.

I'm working 3 days a week, so still employed, but the end is in sight.

Quite when is not yet clear, but the work/life/modelling balance is looking good, so far. 

With enough kits in the stash to keep me going the next 10 years to 75 should be fun. 

• 3 weeks later...