Decal Manufacturers do a Good Job !

Tiger331

Hi Folks,

I have taken some time over the holiday break to determine which decal options I want to use on the Tamiya 1:48 scale F-14A Tomcats that I have recently accumulated. At the same time, I decided to run a little exercise which I'm going to repeat with my USN/USMC F-4 Phantom decals.

Anyway, with regard to the collection of USN F-14A/B/D Tomcat decal sheets I have - A total of 20 x sheets from 7 different manufacturers offering no less than 155 options. There were only 26 duplicated serial number options (i.e. the same serial number featured) with only 4 providing absolute duplicates, in terms of Unit/colour scheme/markings/timeframe. I think that is pretty good given the possible temptation to cut corners and use previously researched material for a particular aircraft/unit. Given the plethora of USN F-14 decal sheets out there (I have hardly any of the Aeromaster, Eagle Strike, Superscale or Two Bobs decal sheets), if the same ratios are applied we could probably find decals to cover every Tomcat airframe ever produced !.

• Like 1

Guess Miss Molly was the one with most duplicates... :lol:

We Tomcat fans are pretty lucky and really aftermarket decal manufacturers have given us a lot over the years. I believe that there are only a few "holes" to fill regarding Tomcats today, reserve units aircrafts being probably the least served. The same unfortunately can't be said for other subjects, particularly non US ones