Academy 1/72 B-29 "Celestial Queen"

SaminCam

Thanks gents. There's still a few bits to finish off. I added a little wire loop to the fin where I'll run the stretched sprue antenna wire (you can just see it in the photo below). Final job will then be to do the props. The first go I had at them I made a bit of a mess of the yellow tips so sanding them back now and will do a better job second time around. 

43900372650_0e5ae9679e_z.jpg

• Like 3

Probably the last post on this WIP as the Celestial Queen is very nearly there. Propellers got re-done this week, worked much better this time painting the yellow tips, masking, painting black, masking and then finishing off with polished Al plus decals:

45784941622_7fa500e72a_z.jpg

Final fiddly bit was sorting out a problem that has been bugging me for months on this build. The two antennae on top of the fuselage are very fragile and have been broken off numerous times - when I came to put a stretched sprue wire between them they wouldn't hold any tension and popped off (again!). Solution was to get some hypo, flatten in a vice except for the last few mm and glue to the back of the existing part:

30894399777_f60a97b9e9_n.jpg

I also included another wire loop to help with the "rigging". I then carefully drilled a small hole in the fuselage so I now have a fairly tough fixing for the antennae.

She's pretty much there, just some exhaust stains on top of the wing to add  (I've not quite got the knack of saying when to stop with weathering yet...) and I've even started the next one! It's a lot smaller and doesn't need any gloss black undercoat or Alclad so hopefully won't take me 11 months this time... I'll get another post going in the next week or two and will finally get an RFI for the B-29 done next weekend hopefully. Thanks again for taking a look and thanks to those who have followed along for most of 2018 and provided encouragement along the way!

45784939052_305b128319_z.jpg

30894401597_9570803ee8_c.jpg

Edited by SaminCam
typo
  • Like 11

Beautiful and impressive achievement, Sam! Very well done :clap2:

What are the actual dimensions of the finished model, length x wing span?

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Hi Sam ( @SaminCam )

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to measure the model! It seems it will be difficult to store a model like this in my current display cabinet. Anyway, I'm planning to get a larger cabinet as I have several quite big models in the stash.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Finished! Used brown and black oils on the upper wing for exhaust stains which I based on the awesome Washington B-29 by @woody37 and photos from wwII. Ran out of time to take any decent photos for an RFI (still trying to work out photography in general) but here are the last few for this thread taken on my phone:

45896112172_31f4698f03_c.jpg 

45896115932_b101d4ba55_c.jpg

44128910770_f0b6a95d36_c.jpg

Edited by SaminCam
accidental post
  • Like 7