Corsair’s M10 Achilles IIC

Hello everyone ... New update I finished the turret.  I have the lift rings, extra armor, mantlet, barrel, and i scratched the missing rain cover poles. They're tiny little bits made out of fishing line. Heres what she looks like.

lEPG5RR.jpg

8oIraGY.jpg

A side shot to show the vision gaps at the bottom, from the right. 

cFVku5h.jpg

And again from the left.

4aiJtHs.jpg

And finally as seen from the front. 

Ee4Hk3k.jpg

More later. I think im closer to paint than i figured, have a great day

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

Good going Dennis, at this rate you'll be finished before I even get the ammunition racks in mine!!

Nice work on the turret, not sure about the 'mickey mouse' scheme though, you should go with 'plain jane green' with a foreshortened gun disguise :)

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Good evening everyone ... Got my painting done this afternoon. I laid down a coat of US Olive Drab. Followed by a coat of the closest color i have to SCC.15. That was followed by wavy stripes of Black/Brown. I chose the stripes because i found a single photo taken in Northern France. The caption was in german. The photo is from wikipedia. If you look at the photo closely. All along the lower hull just above the tracks and the rear turret you can see a two tone color change. I believe the lighter tone to be green. The darker either black, brown, or an even darker green. 1SGYVNJ.jpg

🔺↕️ The caption after translation. 

soUqaWG.jpg

Ok so here lies my Achilles with paint. 

0xwMMNh.jpg

I did the white under the forward portion of the barrel and will touch it up before im all done. 

OIRCkgN.jpg

zPRC2Tf.jpg

SCY4K2Q.jpg

vtWSPN8.jpg

eX1PYt3.jpg

The last shot shows the belly of the beast. I left it mostly US Olive Drab. Though if you look you can see the color changes on the Transmission.  

F4q8ohq.jpg

Well its going to cure until tomorrow. I will clear coat it tomorrow and then more work. Good night, enjoy.

Dennis

🔺* not sure if these are public record so i will state the ownership rights belong to others. I only use them for informational purposes. If i have to i will remove them. 

• Like 9

@Sgt.Squarehead ... Tobasco or possibly Hollandaise sauce ?

😆 Don’t feel all bad Sgt. 

I’ve been searching constantly myself. I found only two possibles of NWE camouflage other than straight green. I posted one of them and opted to go with the Green/Black bands. 

🔺 Thanks to everyone so far thats offered up kind words and encouragement. Since I came back to modeling in 2014 i have attempted to restart my interest in armor a few times. None met with success until this build. I think i joined it to push myself and it worked. I am looking forward to building more armor in the future. Which is probably a good thing considering im in at least three more armor group builds. Including one im in charge of.  

Dennis

• Like 6

Nice paint job Dennis, you can definitely be pleased with your build. She's looking fantastic, I'm glad the build has re ignited your joy of armour as there is plenty of opportunities to build more coming up.

• Thanks 1

I have many tanks in the finished pile from years ago. I built all of the german casemate types for my brother about 20 years ago. I have 5-6 M4 types, & a also have a Merkava and some other modern types. I Just never could restart the armor interest when i came back a few years ago. I have an M7 kangaroo im almost finished with. I may tack it on here just to finish it when this is done. I built it about two years ago. 

• Like 1

Hey guys mostly touchig up paint and clearcoat today. There won’t be much from me for a while im afraid. Starting this morning the 9th i have two Phys. Therapy sessions and three doctors appointments between the 9th and 19th. 

On a more sherman based note. Does anyone know where i put the stars on an Achilles ? I would have assumed the topside but the kit shows one on each side of the hull ? I thought side stars made great targets for tge hun., and the top was for air recognition. If someone has an answer thst would be great. 

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

On a more sherman based note. Does anyone know where i put the stars on an Achilles ? I would have assumed the topside but the kit shows one on each side of the hull ? I thought side stars made great targets for tge hun., and the top was for air recognition. If someone has an answer thst would be great. 

Dennis, If you Google M10 Achilles, it will come up with dozens of images with the stars on the engine deck, the front glacis, the turret side and the hull side. So I suppose it's a case of take your pick. I'd go with whatever is in the kit's instructions.

John.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Been a while since my last update. Just a case of life stalling fun. I was able to do some work after therapy today. Mounted about 50% of the stowage, then placed the Decals. The rest of the stowage had to wait so i could place certain decals. I will get that done tomorrow or Saturday. Im also working on some wingy things as well and i will place those in the appropriate RFI in a week or two.

Without further talk here is the Achilles with the rest of the internal and some of the external stowage mounted. 3tJq7mC.jpg

XCAN3Pf.jpg

lYHyC9n.jpg

8n7L3U6.jpg

5uzMkc9.jpg

iVMH6pP.jpg

R6gWOei.jpg

SIvrXXb.jpg

5Nv4ufK.jpg

Of course everything needs a going over with touchups. Hope it looks good to everyone ... im rather critical as a judge of my own work. Like I said more stowage yet to come, then some washes and weathering. Have a good night and a great modeling day tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Hey so for today's updates i had a minor disaster. I was mounting the last of the stowage, and broke the armor shield on top of the turret. Good thing is it was just the posts holding the shield in place. I was able to replace them and remount the shield after stowage and washes. 

Since I had the armor off i opted to move the M2 .50 cal. To the armor roof so it will look like the following photo’s. EWRHzJE.jpg

opfCA4b.jpg

Although i mounted it to the other side of the roof. I just didnt like the way it was mounted in back of the turret. The washes look good but are still drying. I will photograph the weathering tomorrow and post it. Everyone have a good night or good day where ever you might be.

Dennis

🔺* not sure if these are public record so i will state the ownership rights belong to others. I only use them for informational purposes. If i have to i will remove them. 

• Like 1

Thanks sarge 👍 I was going for “Mean”. I am trying to get as close to that photo as i can with what i have. Although the odd thing about that Achilles is it has the Barrel weight but not the Muzzle-brake mounted ?  

Not sure about that, I think it may be an optical illusion, I believe I can see both but they are somewhat masked by their rather distinct tones, the muzzle brake is very dark (with a ring of shiny worn paint at the muzzle itself), the counterweight is the very pale ring behind it.....If you look very carefully you can see a slightly concave surface to the right & left of the muzzle, which I'd take to be the openings in the muzzle brake.

• Like 1