1/72 scratch built Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) Rs II flying boat

Evening All,

This was my contribution to the Flying Boats GB which will run out on 7th January 2018: the build thread can be found there if you are interested. I am posting these photos her plus some notes on the type as it is generally little known: I did not know about this type until I came across it by chance about 15 months ago. It is completely scratch built from wood, brass rod, plastic sheet, rod and strip, and is rigged with rolled copper wire. I apologise for the backgrounds but the weather and light are very poor at the moment. I will take more pictures in better light when I have completed the base for this model: this will be my next project. Any comments would be welcome.

38630875684_7a04a9ff77_c.jpg

Claudius Dornier had joined the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin (Zeppelin Airship Works) in 1910 where he worked on a number of technical problems associated with airships. He was transferred to Zeppelin’s private design bureau in Friedrichshafen to work on an 80,000 cubic metre steel airship capable of flying across the Atlantic in 1913. Following the outbreak of European war in August 1914, Zeppelin established the VGO-Staaken venture to build giant wooden bombers, but Zeppelin was convinced that the future for aircraft was in all metal construction, so Dornier was sent to an old airship shed at Seems near Friederichshafen on Lake Constance to design a giant flying boat. This became known as the Rs I and was the first all-metal aircraft to be built.  It was a huge biplane with a 143 ft (43.5m) wingspan which carried out extensive taxiing trials on the lake in late 1915 but was wrecked in a storm in December of that year before it could fly.

27561667609_8f3494d8ce_c.jpg

27561666539_2d038719b5_c.jpg

While the Rs I was undergoing trials, Dornier and his team were working on a second project which was of a totally different design. This had a very broad hull which gave it inherent stability, with a high mounted wing with a broad low aspect ratio, open tail boom and unusual biplane elevator. Small wings were fitted to the rear of the hull to support floats, but the latter were found to be unnecessary and were never fitted. It was built from duraluminium and steel and covered in sheet duraluminium on the hull and fabric on the flying surfaces. It was powered by three engines buried in the hull driving pusher propellors via drive shafts. It made its maiden flight from Lake Constance on 30 June 1916. In mid - July an accident occurred which caused the aircraft to land on the water. On attempting to take off the middle propellor transmission shaft broke which severely damaged the tail boom.

27561666009_15e9ca0e93_c.jpg

39309036782_09f91ef12b_c.jpg

It was decided to completely rebuild the aircraft and work was completed in early November 1916. The hull was redesigned with the step moved further back but more importantly a fourth engine had been added and all had been moved to a position between the hull and the wing. They were mounted uncowled in tandem pairs and drove tractor and pusher propellors - a feature which was to be used by Dornier on his flying boats until 1945. The wing was lowered and balance horns were added to the ailerons. The massive V struts which supported the wing were altered so that they now attached to the hull sides and the boom attachment to the hull was changed so that the rear propellors had clearance. The biplane elevator was retained, but the stub wings were reshaped to have rounded tips and a decreased chord. Materials shortages and poor quality fuel retarded testing, with constant problems being experienced with the engines. The engines were found to be too cold so very neat cowlings were fitted, following which the radiators were found to be too small as the engines overheated. In May 1917 during landing practice, the machine came down hard on the water and the central boom of the tail broke. The pilot did not notice and tried to take foo, with the result that the sagging tail dragged the aircraft back on to the water and the whole unit broke away and sank to the bottom of the lake.

39309037352_0146a1e3d5_c.jpg

27561665029_b3faff2d8f_c.jpg

In July the machine reappeared with a new tail unit this time with a simpler pair of fins and rudders and single elevator. Flight trials resumed and it was shown that it could take off and climb on 3 engines. It was also found that the pusher engines were more efficient when working alone than were the tractor engines. It reached a level speed of 128kph over the lake. In August it was carrying out a 6 hour trial flight prior to being sent to Norderney seaplane base for trials by the Navy when number 4 engine backfired violently. No 1 propellor disintegrated as a consequence, so both engines were shut down and the aircraft was put back down on the lake. The damage was found to be extensive and is was decided that it would have been uneconomical to rebuild it as the Rs III was near completion. Instead the airframe was broken up and the parts used for further tests and experiments.

38630876894_f16f820146_c.jpg

Dornier and his team learned many valuable lessons from this prototype. The broad inherently stable hull, tandem mounted engines, all-metal construction, high wing with low aspect ratio, all became characteristic features of later designs, but above all reliability and flexibility were to be hallmarks of the Dornier company.  

Here is an Avro biplaneis next to the completed model to give an idea of size, (the biplane is scratch built too):

38630874544_6365b524f7_c.jpg

And because you cannot see everything from a distance, here are some close ups:

38630873134_f00993a656_c.jpg

38630868314_fc777f6a66_c.jpg

38630869894_e44801c4e5_c.jpg

38630871624_51e59ec1bc_c.jpg

24474549677_533f9efaeb_c.jpg

38630870434_274d15aea2_c.jpg

A happy 2018 to one and all.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 31

Truly fantastic result of a really unusual subject matter - very skilled work, Pheonix!

I agree with ModellerUK - better than what I could also achieve from an OOB build of a kit ...............

Regards

Dave

I remember when this was just a block of wood and can only marvel at the aircraft that has now emerged. One of the finest build threads I've seen on this forum.

Bravo Phoenix!

Tony