M4A1 “Goldie” Normandy 1944 - Eduard/Tasca 1/35 - Finished -

PlaStix

On 16/02/2018 at 19:36, Dads203 said:

Stunning ;)

Thank you! :thumbsup:

On 16/02/2018 at 22:01, Robert Stuart said:

That's looking really good Stix.

Did you do something to the .50 cal?  It looks even better in these later images.

Thank you Robert. No I haven't done anything to the .50 cal - it may just be because the later photos were taken in daylight rather than under electric light.

On 17/02/2018 at 05:09, Hewy said:

Masterpiece stix

Way too kind!....but thank you!

On 17/02/2018 at 08:10, Badder said:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Stunning stuff Stix. The mud and latest weathering is wonderful.

I feel I have to point out just one tiny 'error' which I only noticed just now, and it's best shown in the photo below. It concerns the streaking, and specifically that on the turret just below the periscope on the left where the sticky-up 'tab' thing is.

The streak runs down from the 'tab' and then onto the ledge of the extra armour. At that point I would have thought the moisture would follow the curve of the joint between the turret and the extra armour, all the way down to the number 2, rather than cross the 'ledge' and then continue down the front. A small point, but it just doesn't look right to me.

ps, after more photos of your .50cal, I think I'm going to replace mine. Mine looks like a half-chewed jelly baby compared to yours.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you very much for your comments. I can see what you mean about the streak. It's an odd one - I do agree with you but when you look at the add-on armour at that point, at the right angle, it does look like it slopes away more than the run down the top of the armour. In real life it's quite hard to see that streak but in some photos it shows up quite strikingly! I'm not going to try and remove it but it's definitely worth remembering in future. Thank you. I cannot take credit for the .50 cal - it is really well moulded by Tasca.

On 17/02/2018 at 08:23, PZRGREN said:

I think you have raised the bar once more on tank builds!!  :gobsmacked:

Waaay too kind - but thank you very much!!

On 17/02/2018 at 09:12, beefy66 said:

Great weathering subtle but makes so much difference to the look of it just goes to show that a little goes along way 

looking forward to your next lesson in figure painting :yes:

beefy 

Thank you very much Beefy - I do enjoy the weathering stages but it is quite difficult to decide when to stop - I still think I need some more adding here and there. I got three of the figures built up over the weekend so I'm hoping to get on to painting them soon.

On 17/02/2018 at 10:55, GREG DESTEC said:

Superb build Stix,

The painting and weathering is outstanding. Looking forward to the stowage and figures.

All the best

Greg ^_^

Hi Greg and thank you very much for your comments. Stowage can now be seen below! :thumbsup:

On 17/02/2018 at 15:52, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix.

Thats a real beauty and quite possibly your best one yet! :yes:

Regards.

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve and that's very kind of you.

On 17/02/2018 at 16:31, wimbledon99 said:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:  ABSOLUTELY STUNNING :clap::clap::clap::clap:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:rofl:That did make me smile!! Thank you.

On 17/02/2018 at 17:01, modelling minion said:

Absolutey stunning work Stix.

The weathering is fantastic, extremely realistic.

The cable looks great after you have painted it, I hope it behaved whilst you were preparing it and fixing it in place.

Hi Craig and thank you very much. The cable was okay to fit but I had to do quite a bit of bending and shaping 'off tank' before fitting it - I think it would have scratched the paint off in places if I'd done too much shaping actually on the Sherman. It is quite tough stuff but with work ends up fitting nicely - so thank you.

Well the weekend disappeared really quickly. I did get some more stuff done though. My main focus for most of the weekend was the stowage for the rear deck. I ended up using a mix of items - the Jerry Cans come with the actual kit, but the rest is a mix from Tamiya, AFV Club and Dragon sets. The spare wheel is from the Tasca kit but isn't, unfortunately, a match for the set that is actually on 'Goldie' but I hadn't got any other spares to use. I'm thinking the crew scrounged it from another tank. I didn't want to go too overboard and decided I wanted the items on show even though I know they were frequently covered by tarpaulins or sheets. This it what I ended up putting together:

39614626764_0d3247f3de_b.jpg

This is the space it was designed to cover:

39428325805_3ef543abbd_b.jpg

And fixed in place:

25454486937_6ef56aa0ef_b.jpg

Then with securing ropes:

39436276535_f3292afbdb_b.jpg

26461547828_8d1d0ab3e1_b.jpg

I did do a few more bits of weathering and tidied up a few areas, I still need to do a few more things here and there, but I think the actual tank bit of the project is just about finished. I still need to do the figures and work out what I'm doing with the base.

The figures I'm starting with are these:

40297911882_814192a5fd_b.jpg

40343026841_f6c64375a5_b.jpg

....and this is how far I got with the first 3:

40297911082_7866cfb051_b.jpg

These will be given an undercoating of thinned Anthracite and then the painting proper will start.

I have taken some daylight photos of the tank in it's pretty-much finished state and I will post a few soon.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

More great work Stix,

I had been contemplating the Dragon tank crew you have there so I will be keen to see how they turn out. 

Kind regards

GregB)

Thank you Greg. The Dragon figures seem quite nicely detailed. As ever, the Dragon instructions leave a little bit to be desired - but careful study of all the parts on the sprue - rather than my just cutting parts off the sprue and trying to make them fit - will help. The instructions are not clear and I ended up gluing on one part of the gunners headgear before it should have been! Luckily it came off okay when I realised. The fit of some of the bigger parts isn’t perfect and you can perhaps see the filler I used around the arms.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Stix, those figures will bring goldie to life. 

Cheers Ozzy - I hope so!

59 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

That looks good Stix, really busy.

umm, you seem to have two different types of lid on your jerry cans

Thank you very much Robert. As far as I know there were two types of lid to differentiate between the contents - the Jerry Cans with the screw top lids (the ones lying down facing backwards) were for fuel - there is a G stamped into the can on the side on these - Gasoline? The ones with the cam-lock lid were for water or, apparently, liquid foods like soup. The lids were different so that someone could tell which Jerry Can was which in the dark.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you very much Robert. As far as I know there were two types of lid to differentiate between the contents - the Jerry Cans with the screw top lids (the ones lying down facing backwards) were for fuel - there is a G stamped into the can on the side on these - Gasoline? The ones with the cam-lock lid were for water or, apparently, liquid foods like soup. The lids were different so that someone could tell which Jerry Can was which in the dark.

That makes sense, thanks :)

• Like 1

Great progress!!!, I like a lot of paint and weathering, and the equipment is great ...:popcorn:

I'm sorry I missed it, but I have not gone through the GBST thread until yesterday, that I'm going to start with my kit, and I see that there are already great progresses everywhere ...:analintruder:

Cheers Stix :yes:

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2018 at 05:12, Hewy said:

The detail painting is absolutely faultless stix, superb, the crew'll look a treat

Thank you very much Glynn. I'm hoping to get the three figures completed tomorrow plus a few others before the end of the weekend.

On 20/02/2018 at 09:57, stevej60 said:

Another Masterclass Stix,weathering look's superb now look forward to thos figure's!

You are very kind as always Steve.

On 20/02/2018 at 12:19, FrancisGL said:

Great progress!!!, I like a lot of paint and weathering, and the equipment is great ...:popcorn:

I'm sorry I missed it, but I have not gone through the GBST thread until yesterday, that I'm going to start with my kit, and I see that there are already great progresses everywhere ...:analintruder:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Hi Francis and thank you very much for your comments. I am really pleased that you are taking part in this GB!

On 21/02/2018 at 02:58, Badder said:

Still looking like your best ever to me Stix, keep it up! I'm sure those figures will be the icing on the cake.

Rearguards

Badder.

Hi Badder and and thank you too for your, as always, very kind comments.

Some more photos from last weekend:

39626845674_dcd7272405_b.jpg

40337802811_f88068d00e_b.jpg

38533127920_39f208ba8b_b.jpg

40297881812_0f64f8a87b_b.jpg

25470998787_62faf97858_b.jpg

39445650665_e6da50db09_b.jpg

Looking forward to doing more tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

The detailed level (.50 cal is terribly ... niiiice), and weathering is a winner !. The mud is so authentic that it seems "authentic" ...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :cheers:

Hi Francis. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

:gobsmacked:

Awesome work Stix! Simply awesome!

Thank you very much Nigel - too kind!

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ace job, love the helmet and gun on the turret very nice touch

Hi Glynn and thank you. I've still got some bits and pieces and weathering to add to the upper surfaces yet but I'm going to hang on until I have decided more on whats on the base.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very nice indeed Stix. :worthy::goodjob::yahoo:

Thank you very much Ozzy! :thumbsup:

Today I have been concentrating on the scenic base and the figures. I cut the base out from MDF using a coping saw before filing and sanding it down. I'm trying something a little different from my usual picture frame bases on this project. I also marked out the area for where the tracks are/were:

39750404634_8dc5ccd07f_b.jpg

Then I used a craft knife and chisel to cut the above out:

39750405734_c12eaef5e2_b.jpg

Goldie tested in place:

40416869912_522654d74d_b.jpg

40416869282_0ff3cba35e_b.jpg

With the figures I have done the driver and gunner and they are glued in place:

40416868662_fc331d0685_b.jpg

40416868242_a01a7b4907_b.jpg

26589940888_a53efa66de_b.jpg

40416867542_2585cabe82_b.jpg

The commander figure is almost complete - I just need to add another radio wire and a decal or two. That will be tomorrow as will getting a thin layer of filler onto the base.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13

Very nice Stix,

The base looks promising and the figures are a great addition to the tank. I have LRDG jeep on the go at the moment and this is inspiring me to finish it. 

Cheers Greg :D

• Thanks 1

WOW.:clap:

This to me, as I've said before, is looking to be your very best IMHO. And you know how highly I rate your 'normal' work.

The finish on everything down to the smallest detail is perfect. I can't pick out the 'best bit' because it's all the 'best bit'. Even that tow cable alone is a work of art.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to reach your standard.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/02/2018 at 19:59, GREG DESTEC said:

Very nice Stix,

The base looks promising and the figures are a great addition to the tank. I have LRDG jeep on the go at the moment and this is inspiring me to finish it. 

Cheers Greg :D

Hi Greg and thank you. These figures are quite nicely done - a bit over-complicated in places but they look good once painted. I will look out for your LRDG jeep - I hope it's going well.

On 24/02/2018 at 20:50, Ozzy said:

Nice figure painting Stix, is there no end to your talents.

Hi Ozzy and thank you - you are too kind. 

On 25/02/2018 at 13:35, Hewy said:

Seems not ozzy,  like them, A1, not the road either 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn. Like Ozzy, you are too kind - thank you.

21 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Stix, that crew look great, very nicely painted!

Thank you Robert. It helps that the detail on these is nicely sculpted so it makes them easier to paint. 

20 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Wow!, the weathering, the figures, this has to rank up there with the best on here!

:goodjob:  

.... the weathering, and the figures!!..... I mean.... Wow!

Davey.

Hi Davey. You are waayyy too kind - but thank you.

20 hours ago, Badder said:

WOW.:clap:

This to me, as I've said before, is looking to be your very best IMHO. And you know how highly I rate your 'normal' work.

The finish on everything down to the smallest detail is perfect. I can't pick out the 'best bit' because it's all the 'best bit'. Even that tow cable alone is a work of art.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to reach your standard.

Rearguards,

Badder.

Hi Badder. Like the others above; you are way too kind. The kit itself was a joy to build - the fit was pretty much perfect - so I haven't had to fight it anywhere. Also I haven't done anything creative with the base kit like you have with yours. You are far more artistic and inventive than I will ever be so - if by reaching my standard you mean by lowering yours - then don't - just keep doing what you are doing because your builds are awesome! :worthy:

Yesterday I got the third tank crew figure finished - I have added some 0.2mm lead wire for the radio cables and some decals from the Tamiya Tank Crew set. Also yesterday I added some more Mud and Grass weathering on the lower areas.

Late yesterday the sun was at quite a nice angle and and the light quality was interesting so I got some photos taken of 'Goldie':

26625697738_5c7748f7ee_b.jpg

40496619061_d5f79c152d_b.jpg

39786665724_c53d87acfe_b.jpg

26625692818_5c8aab2520_b.jpg

39786667754_22b07b8f5b_b.jpg

39786667104_19557be399_b.jpg

39786664834_a463ab5402_b.jpg

39786664344_7176461a8e_b.jpg

25625767117_3f517a21a3_b.jpg

....and one in black and white:

39786666514_457954d7a4_b.jpg

I also had a quick test on the base:

40496639281_ddc8bd6cbb_b.jpg

40496638761_c6a561a57c_b.jpg

....before I did the first layer of filler on the base:

40496639931_93bed22bda_b.jpg

I may try and get some work done on the base during the evenings this week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10