M4A1 “Goldie” Normandy 1944 - Eduard/Tasca 1/35 - Finished -

PlaStix

26186900778_319977ffe1_b.jpg

Amazing work sir - I doff my cap in respect.  I love that Vallejo mud stuff - looks great on 1/35 - but do you think it work on smaller 1/76 - or would another product be more appropriate...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Amazing work sir - I doff my cap in respect.  I love that Vallejo mud stuff - looks great on 1/35 - but do you think it work on smaller 1/76 - or would another product be more appropriate...

Hi @BIG X and thank you. I just checked some of my recent 1/72 AFV builds and I haven't used any mud products on them. I don't think this Vallejo product would be suitable for 1/72 as it really is quite thick. I have also used Mig Mud products before and they might be slightly more usable for 1/72 but they are still more suitable for 1/48 and above. They are grit based, like the Vallejo one, but slightly less 'gloopy'! You'd need to apply them very sparingly.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanx Stix - I thought that might be the case - I guess I'll stick with the muddy 'mist' look for now on my tiny tanks and wait until I graduate to larger tanks before I try something this advanced - lovely work :goodjob:

• Like 1

She's looking fantastic Stix, I saw a pot of the Vallejo mud when I popped into the model shop today. I think I will give a pot a go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

26186901148_f4a5178a87_b.jpg

Just because they deserve another airing.

Fantastic work Stix. And that mud on the lower hull looks fantastic as well. Can you tell me what the medium for the MIG mud is? Is it acrylic or enamel, or something else?

If you'd posted all those photos separately you'd have a lot more likes from me!

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

She's looking fantastic Stix, I saw a pot of the Vallejo mud when I popped into the model shop today. I think I will give a pot a go.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you. You'll need to check the name on the pot - the one I'm using is European Thick Mud, but you can also get European Splash Mud. Vallejo do a thick version and a splash version of their muds which include:

European, Russian, Industrial, Brown, Light Brown, and Black. They also do a mud with grass and the snow I used on the Panzer III.

15 minutes ago, Badder said:

Just because they deserve another airing.

Fantastic work Stix. And that mud on the lower hull looks fantastic as well. Can you tell me what the medium for the MIG mud is? Is it acrylic or enamel, or something else?

If you'd posted all those photos separately you'd have a lot more likes from me!

Reaguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you, you are too kind. I think the Mig and Vallejo muds are both acrylic based. The Mig muds I've got smell a bit like PVA glue which is probably what's in there.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Stix, I didn't realise they did so many.

No problem. I didn't know Vallejo did a range of 'mud' products until I came across them on Amazon by accident. I thought of them as doing paints and pigments. Hope the one in your model shop is suitable.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Beautiful stuff, that mud is very convincing indeed.  :coolio:

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

Try Mig/Ammo:  http://www.migjimenez.com/en/23-pigments

Tutorials here:  http://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/10-ammo-step-by-step

PS - @PlaStix  Only just noticed this:

What did you do to the ammo in that Browning?  :o

That's fekkin incredible, probably the best I've ever seen!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Hewy said:

Badders right those tools an the 50 cal, are bang on the money. Very good stix

Glynn 

Thank you Glynn.

19 hours ago, Joss said:

Looks smashing stix, I'm in awe of you skills!

Regards

Joss

Thank you too Joss, most kind.

18 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Just WOW!! :wow:

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Beautiful stuff, that mud is very convincing indeed.  :coolio:

Try Mig/Ammo:  http://www.migjimenez.com/en/23-pigments

Tutorials here:  http://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/10-ammo-step-by-step

PS - @PlaStix  Only just noticed this:

What did you do to the ammo in that Browning?  :o

That's fekkin incredible, probably the best I've ever seen!  :thumbsup:

You are way too kind Sarge, thank you. The ammo belt is in the Tasca kit but not mentioned in the instructions but it seemed a shame not to use it. All I did was paint the whole lot with thinned Revell's Anthracite. Then I used thinned Revell's Acrylic Copper Metallic for the projectile and Revell's Acrylic Brass Metallic paint for the cases - which I sort of semi-dry-brushed. Finally I did a wash of Anthracite again over the central belt so that it ran around the bullets to give them more definition at the ends.

Got a little more done today - a fair chunk of time was spent on the decals and then varnishing over/under them. On AFVs I don't use a gloss coat but rather apply the decal onto the surface and then use very thinned Humbrol's matt varnish which I apply with a flat brush that I use to re-lift the decal and get the matt varnish under the decal. This seems to minimise any silvering and means I don't have to gloss the whole tank and then give it a coat of matt varnish again:

25208773897_3c8d1b8449_b.jpg

25208773157_87c9ea7a09_b.jpg

25208772297_1dfa8c04b5_b.jpg

25208774607_f73bc96bea_b.jpg

25208772177_6e4a2b2d96_b.jpg

25208771237_085f5664a9_b.jpg

I have also done some work on the tracks which I hope to post some photos of later.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

Interesting method for doing the decals Stix. They must be high quality as I'm sure any I tried to lift would disintegrate.

Sublime work as always.

I was very pleased to see a speck of dirt. Well, to be fair, it was on your instruction manual. I thought. But it turns out it's on my laptop screen.

I am gonna catch you one day!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This is looking great Stix, I can only echo Sgt's comments about your olive drab, and that .50 cal

I just wish my painting was half as good

Thank you very much Robert - you are too kind - and nonsense! - I know your painting skills are excellent! :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks excellent Stix, the usual very high standard of painting and weathering.

I can only echo what has been said about the .50 cal, the best I have seen.

Thank you very much Craig - you are also too kind! :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Badder said:

Interesting method for doing the decals Stix. They must be high quality as I'm sure any I tried to lift would disintegrate.

Sublime work as always.

I was very pleased to see a speck of dirt. Well, to be fair, it was on your instruction manual. I thought. But it turns out it's on my laptop screen.

I am gonna catch you one day!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you. I did have a couple break this time but they went back down okay(ish). I know it seems an odd way to do decals and I have been asked why I don't soak them in the thinned matt varnish but it doesn't seem to work as well. I usually apply the decal as normal but without any softners, etc. Once they are down and just about settled I then use the varnish.

40 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just caught up with this Stix and have to echo everyone else's remarks about the tools and the Browning. First class. Great paint job on the model as well.

John. 

Hi John and thank you very much for your comments too.

I did say yesterday that I had been working on the tracks over the weekend and would post some pictures later yesterday. My intention was to take a couple of photos of the tracks before fitting them. I had been painting them and applying the basics of the weathering. Before taking the photos I decided I ought to try a test fit in case I needed to stretch them to get them to fit. After having fed the the first side through I realised I had managed to remove some of the paint off the treads. As I've already applied the mud to the undersides of the sponsons I think that is what rubbed off the paint. Anyway, after being a bit annoyed about the damage to the paint, I tested the fit and it joined up first time - so I decided that, rather than remove them and risk more damage I'd glue both sets of tracks in place:

25208769247_e5ba9a29a5_b.jpg

25208764077_0591f82feb_b.jpg

25208768297_7d23303bd4_b.jpg

25208766617_316d608df1_b.jpg

25208765427_d44c972e5c_b.jpg

25208764827_8eda160c1b_b.jpg

In my mind I was not going to be fitting the tracks for a while so they will need their remaining bits of weathering to be done in situ. Oh well.

More next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13

......and that's why I still haven't fixed my upper and lower hulls together. And as I mentioned elsewhere, I may not bother gluing them at all.  I can still remove my tracks if I need to.

But I'm sure you'll manage weathering yours and do a fine job as always.

Rearguards,

Badder