***finished*** b52

Started this on Christmas day, a big one but quite simple, though I fudged the placing of the internal wing box so got a task fixing the wing on one side (the root is thicker then the wing parts are, they have to have a gap, so got to fudge spacers to attach the wing. 38452876025_47d5f7620f_z.jpg 24428522847_5587c0b357_z.jpg [38414689275_ce2ed98e3f_z.jpg 39291452561_b243762fc6_z.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 8

I had a teacher that was a crew chief on buffs back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. His favorite story was when the B-52 he was riding in over long island sound at about 100 feet. They were on an anti-shipping mine dropping practice run out of griffiss AFB. The B-52 wings tend to flap a little in the low altitude ground effect. They were on the mission and decided to strafe a large yacht that had ignored the coast guard warnings. He said it was the funniest thing seeing a bunch of rich snobs jump over board. They saw a B-52 come out of the haze, flapping its wings and smoking like a dragon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

NOICE build, Stu!

This is surely the oddest way to fly the Buff, but just for the giggles. :lol: 

Odd, ain't it? :hmmm:

Cheers,

Unc2

That is just plane weird, B52 kamakazi tactics and some of the Battleships were British and American !  :mental:

I do do hope that a rescue mission is being launched for this build, any chance of an update leading to a happy ending ?

cheers Pat

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That is just plane weird, B52 kamakazi tactics and some of the Battleships were British and American !  :mental:

I do do hope that a rescue mission is being launched for this build, any chance of an update leading to a happy ending ?

cheers Pat

Rescue is ongoing, looks a quite a complex task, at the moment looks like the best way of doing it is too separate the wing halves, how ill do that I don’t know, well and triply cemented

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, JOCKNEY said:

:rofl2: Yeh, Pat; and what about the friendly fire at 2:17? A Buff in its bombing run succumbs to the raining bombs falling from another Buff above!

Your Buff is looking great, Stu!

Cheers,

Unc2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you are beating this one into submission Stu.

I usually get to a point where I have had enough sanding and carry on with the rest of the build, only to come back later and resand the problem areas.

It will be great when finished.

• 1 month later...

ran into a problem, in that it’s so big the paint start shifting in colour as the pot runs out, a few weeks later thanks to tardyness in ordering, the first round of snow and royal fail, I fixed the paint issue using a Tamiya 48ml mixing pot full of several pots worth of paint. A few minor points to clear up here and there but getting there 

26996367808_7716e2bb58_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Utterly devestated, was just cleaning up th canopy ready for the gloss coat and the glazing broke, now a big old hole in the middle of one of the panels:( 

41119607801_3fbf74067e_b.jpg

Blimey what are you cleaning it with, PE4 ? 

Rather than painting the the whole thing have you not thought about masking it up , it only takes a few minutes to cut some Tamiya tape and apply it. It will save you a heap of heart ache in the long run.

You could cut out the damaged section and replace it with clear plastic ?

On 31/03/2018 at 1:46 PM, Dads203 said:

Blimey what are you cleaning it with, PE4 ? 

Rather than painting the the whole thing have you not thought about masking it up , it only takes a few minutes to cut some Tamiya tape and apply it. It will save you a heap of heart ache in the long run.

You could cut out the damaged section and replace it with clear plastic ?

Usual method of carefully scrapping with a cocktail stick, anway all is not lost, italeri spares has replied and I have a replacement for a small fee :)