Best 48Sc Tornado Adv is..???

Davide Calzolari

-80's - airfix mould ? (surely the kit of adv ame out before the IDS version airfix kit,if i remember correctly)

-revell (more near years,new tool i suppose? or rebox of the airfix?)

-hobby boss (..even the most recent one?)

-else manufacturer for the Adv in the 48sc ?

any help appreciated

nb: my cromatically simpaty goes to the old airfix box :)

Edited by Davide Calzolari

In the last example of the Airfix kit I tried , 'EF.3' boxing with 11 Sqn. decals and ALARM etc. , the major fuselage and wing parts were all banana shaped.     Only thing that it had going for it was the new weapons sprue with ASRAAM and BOL Launchers.     The Revell kit released this autumn is far better and more sharply detailed although only has early weapons fit of SkyFlash , Sidewinder and standard launch rails.

• 3 weeks later...

Up until the Revell kit appeared the kit to use was the Italeri kit,

Airfix- Good = Excellent source of latter style stencil, or weaponry donor kit

Not so good = the kit isnt one to rave about, only buy if you have no other option

Italeri - Good = The overall shape is good and the kit straight forward to build. Makes a decent F3, can be picked up second hand quite cheaply

Not so good = Basic cockpit and seats, rear comsole represnts an early trainer version. The stencils represent the early version not the latter lo viz, wing walks overscale

Revell - Good = The newest kid on the block, lovely shape, dropped flaps, and the only kit to accuratley portray the navigators console, decals to make early or late versions with both late or early stencil

Not so good = Revell state this is their highest level of build, so you will get some challenges but if you've built their GR4  you'll know what to expect, too new to turn up second hand

Regards

Nigel

Hi

I have not seen the Revell kit but have built several of the Italeri and Airfix of which the Italeri is far superior. It's faults are mainly the intake at the base of the fin and the thrust reverse buckets.  The faults were common to both GR3  & F2. Paragon did good resin replacements but these days will be hard to find. 

Colin 

A point to note about the Italeri F3:  The overall fit is quite good. Some people have reported very bad fit of the air intakes, but this is mostly modeller induced. The top of the intakes are NOT flush with the upper fuselage on the real aircraft.  Many times you see people who try and have them flush on their model, and of course that is where the nightmare starts...

I'll be adding Revell F3's to the stash in the future, but I'm not doing away with my Italeri+Paragon at this time ;)